No announcement yet.

Blwngsket Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good Tony..You could sell those brackets..

A
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
      One of the benifits that he got from this is the clearance to run the tierod on the top of the knuckle. I'm not sure Tony is taking advantage to the second benifit, but if you are running a body lift, this will ease the angle on the input shaft to the steering shaft.
      Exactly, with a 3" bodi lift it was an extreme angle on the steering shaft. Still workable but a bit much. Now I can flip the tie rod to the top, don't have to worry so much about hitting the low hanging 2wd box and with moving the box forward can try and get some increase in wheel base. Still have to complete the install, Pitman arm and Drag link. But so far it looks good.
      Tony
      1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy4zack View Post
        Looks good Tony..You could sell those brackets..

A
        Thanks bud.

Just hope to do as good a job when I tackle the rear bumper as you did with yours.
        T
        1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Well everything's in place. Front end went forward a little more than 1" ( a lot of work for a little room ), you can really see it in the pic of the coil spring. Now my tie rod wont hit my pitman arm at compression ( about 1/2" clearance ). My track bar and my drag link are a little off, well see how much if any bumpsteer I have. Have the brackets on the frame as well as the track bar riser just tacked on for now. Gonna set the toe in and center the front end before I weld it up for good.

Tony
          Attached Files

Comment

I'm taking notes... Front axle linkage geometry is one of the next projects on my list once I'm done with the body.

Looks good, hopefully you don't end up with bump steer.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

What do you think about moving the drag link to the top of the pitman arm and notching the crossmember for clearance to help match the angles up?
              Tony
              Attached Files

Comment

Tony,

Looks good, you'll be driving it in no time at all. It looks like that would line up the drag link and trac bar perfectly. Does your drag link go all the way to the p/s knuckle? How much x-member is in the way?
                Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 720Racer View Post
                  Tony,

Looks good, you'll be driving it in no time at all. It looks like that would line up the drag link and trac bar perfectly. Does your drag link go all the way to the p/s knuckle? How much x-member is in the way?
                  Draglink goes all the way to the pass side knuckle, Have to cycle the steering to see how much I'd have to notch.
                  Q: If the drag link is up on top, what happens as the pass tire starts to stuff into the fenderwell? Do I wind up with the drag link now hitting the crossmember?
                  Does it ever end?
                  Tony

Comment

You'll have to cycle the suspension to see how far up the drag link moves. It sounds like it's time for full hydro!!
                    Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                    I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Don't say that. All that's stopping me is the lack of funds.
                      think I'll wait till I drive it and see if it's good. If not I'll tackle it then. No sense making more work than I need to at this point (which is the story of my life).
                      T
                      Last edited by blwngsket; 10-10-2007, 12:49 PM.

Comment

A easier fix might be to build a saddle to mount the heim to the tie rod the way crawlin68 had it on his D44 axle. Patrick do you have a pic handy?
                        Last edited by highlander; 10-10-2007, 02:56 PM.
                        69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Found a picture of it:
                          Attached Files
                          69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

One way to kind of see if you will have bumpsteer is to remove the shocks, put the tires on the ground, and bounce the front suspension. If the steering wheel moves more than a little there is a good chance you will have bumpsteer. Mine moves a little, but I don't have bumpsteer.
                            Marc D.
                            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post
                              Found a picture of it:
                              Yup, that's it! Real easy to make. After making your power steering box brace, this will be no problem for you.
                              Last edited by crawlin68; 10-10-2007, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                                Yup, that's it! Real easy to make. After making your power steering box brace, this will be no problem for you.
                                Gonna see if I wind up having bump steer, but I'll probably end up moving the drag link onto the tie rod. Place the saddle in line with the track bar mount right?

Tony

Comment

Working...
                                X