Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The **OFFICIAL** 3rd Annual "Broncos on the Con" thread.

everyones honest opinion please:
    I have made it to little sluice twice and HATE turning around and doing the trail backwards. (especially down walker) Would you guys say that the trail gets easier or harder past little sluice? im down for running through but only if i can make it.
    I think it gets harder past little sluice. There are tons more rocks on the trail. I think that you can make it if you go with a group. You might need some help in some areas. Are you still open?
    Last edited by Rockbronco67; 01-12-2010, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
      everyones honest opinion please:
      I have made it to little sluice twice and HATE turning around and doing the trail backwards. (especially down walker) Would you guys say that the trail gets easier or harder past little sluice? im down for running through but only if i can make it.
      Get some rocker and 1/4panel protection and remove your doors and you can pinball your way to the end.

Comment

Just keep going until you are not comfortable anymore. The area right after Spider is challenging with lots of rocks. It is where i seem to always get more body damage....
        WT 4x4
        91' One Ton Bronco
        1971 Bronco
        9/11/01 Never Forget

Comment

Get some lockers and hit the whole thing. If you can make it to little Sluice with open diffs and 33's, you will be fine. You have proven you can drive.
          Marc D.
          If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

It's been a long time since I really looked at the trail from a "little tire" perspective.
            I think the only issue would be old sluice, but you can go around, down the slabs.
            Just about everything there has a bypass. Just stick close and we can show you around.

I know I have my favorite places. I do love camping at/near Spider lake. I get to watch all the action at the box, and love swimming in spider lake.
            The drive to Buck from Spider is also one of the best. Buck has better camping as well.
            Buck is also awesome for a multi-day stay because you can hike around buck and really take all of it in. One of my fondest memories was eating my tritip sammich at the top, over looking the Rubicon.
            Often times, I just camp at buck and drive to the box and back at night.
            From buck to the box is about 2 hours, if you have big tires, it's easily done in 45 minutes.
            Mark Harris
            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
              No way, maybe with traffic. I have driven from the Tahoma/Tahoe City area all the way back home to Livermore in 3-4 hours on many occasions. I'd say its maybe an hour from the Tahoe staging area, down 89 to 50 to the Ice House turnoff.

And as I mentioned before, its a very nice drive. You can't beat driving around Lake Tahoe in an open top rig on a nice day, it makes a nice end to a trip in my opinion. The trick is to get off the trail early enough in the day to enjoy that drive in the daylight.
              Know what, I'm counting the drive back up Ice House, to the staging area.
              Normal drive, I am not sure.
              Mark Harris
              71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                I know I have my favorite places. I do love camping at/near Spider lake. I get to watch all the action at the box, and love swimming in spider lake. The drive to Buck from Spider is also one of the best. .
                X2 around Spider area, beautiful! just get far enough away from the 'ya-hoos' but back to camp quickly is an option. Good central location for those not doing the whole trail, and still great day runs
                68 Slightly modified
                67 LUBR once again
                61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                  Know what, I'm counting the drive back up Ice House, to the staging area.
                  Normal drive, I am not sure.
                  Gotcha...

I know the "new normal" is to base camp and do day trips but I feel like until I run the whole thing once, that I can't really say that I've "done the rubicon". Plus I know of some awesome camping on the exit side near Tahoe... nice and secluded with a built in plinking range

I am going to try and rally my friends into making our 'con trip coincide with NCB, otherwise I may do the base camp thing with you guys and do the whole trail another time. Lots of time between now and then, I'll figure it out.
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

Gotcha...

I know the "new normal" is to base camp and do day trips but I feel like until I run the whole thing once, that I can't really say that I've "done the rubicon". Plus I know of some awesome camping on the exit side near Tahoe... nice and secluded with a built in plinking range

I am going to try and rally my friends into making our 'con trip coincide with NCB, otherwise I may do the base camp thing with you guys and do the whole trail another time. Lots of time between now and then, I'll figure it out.

I thought your friends were definitely cool. Plus they pack heavy with lots of food and beer.
                    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
                      I thought your friends were definitely cool. Plus they pack heavy with lots of food and beer.
                      What can I say, we camp with purpose! No other way to fly...
                      Remember Mark's Bronco, that you were giving engine tips on? That engine is toast. Looks like he's in the market for a short block.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

What can I say, we camp with purpose! No other way to fly...
                        Remember Mark's Bronco, that you were giving engine tips on? That engine is toast. Looks like he's in the market for a short block.
                        What happened to it? It sounded fine!
                        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

I've missed the past two and would like to go this next summer. However, I'm a teacher. School starts up sometime in the 20's of August. July or earlier August is best here.

Comment

Another plus about the last weekend in June is camp fires are still ok.
                            WT 4x4
                            91' One Ton Bronco
                            1971 Bronco
                            9/11/01 Never Forget

Comment

Originally posted by dblue351 View Post
                              Another plus about the last weekend in June is camp fires are still ok.
                              Really!? That would be AWESOME!! Last year sucked ass without a campfire.

Comment

That is a very good reason. It sucked not having a fire last year but the two lanterns in the fire pit and bottle of Crown did the job also.
                                Last edited by Rockbronco67; 01-15-2010, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X