No announcement yet.

70 Sport resto/mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim at Wild Horses now has a rig that is the orange you are speaking of. It looks awesome! It is one of the final 3 I am leaning towards too. I'm going to use black too if I go that route though (maybe stripes down the hood or the old BOSS type stripes).

I'll check with the boss(wife) to try to nail down an estimated time but early evening sounds good. It will have to be a quick visit since I will be going to a buddies in San Ramon right after.

Jeff
    Vacaville, Ca
    67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

• Doorless and Dashless

I got in a couple more solid days of body work this weekend. My fenders are getting pretty close to where I want them (as are the doors). I pulled the doors today and managed to break one bolt - not bad I guess. The dash has been out for a while. Up next, windshield frame removal... Does NOT look like fun, but it needs to be removed so I can clean up even more half-a$$ed "fixes" from a previous owner.

Here are a couple more pictures of my big mess...
      Attached Files
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

• To bad it wasn't a couple of years older. I have a 66 tub, and the windshield was attached with screws, not spot welded. It still isn't bad drilling out all of the spot welds though. Did that on the 72.
        By the way, looking good.
        Marc D.
        If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

• Originally posted by earlybronco72
          To bad it wasn't a couple of years older. I have a 66 tub, and the windshield was attached with screws, not spot welded. It still isn't bad drilling out all of the spot welds though. Did that on the 72.
          By the way, looking good.
          Thanks!
          Mine's a little beyond spot-welded. More like drilled, filled with weld and painted about 3 different colors. From what I can tell, all the sheet metal on the driver's side has been replaced along with the windshield frame. Since I'm this far apart I have decided there's no time like now to fix all that I find that's wrong, and even some stuff that's not wrong...
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

• Originally posted by CityHick
            Thanks!
            Mine's a little beyond spot-welded. More like drilled, filled with weld and painted about 3 different colors. From what I can tell, all the sheet metal on the driver's side has been replaced along with the windshield frame. Since I'm this far apart I have decided there's no time like now to fix all that I find that's wrong, and even some stuff that's not wrong...
            I wish I had your patience. I go 900mph and just make it so it works, no matter how ugly it is.
            Marc D.
            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

• Tony, if you keep going the direction your headed now I may actually get mine running befor you.

Yeah riiiight.

Jeff
              Vacaville, Ca
              67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

• Originally posted by seahawkfan
                Tony, if you keep going the direction your headed now I may actually get mine running befor you.
                Yeah riiiight.
                Jeff
                We'll just have to see about that... But you are probably right. I am hoping to get the tub in primer before much longer if I can ever get through the body work.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

• Spread bondo, sand, repeat. Does it ever end?
                  I'm looking at shooting primer sometime fairly soon, 3-4 weeks maybe. Hopefully paint will follow shortly after that. I'll shoot some pix soon, but I'm closing in on this body work stuff... I need to keep in mind that this IS going to be a trail rig one day - no need for absolute perfection on the body work, but its hard to draw the line where to stop.

Tony
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

• Originally posted by CityHick
                    I'm back on orange for the color -more of a copper color like what's on the new Corvettes and Chargers, among others...
                    thats going to look GOOOOD!!!!!!
                    {o===o}
                    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                    Originally posted by CityHick
                    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

• Spread bondo, sand, repeat. Does it ever end?
                      I'm looking at shooting primer sometime fairly soon, 3-4 weeks maybe. Hopefully paint will follow shortly after that. I'll shoot some pix soon, but I'm closing in on this body work stuff... I need to keep in mind that this IS going to be a trail rig one day - no need for absolute perfection on the body work, but its hard to draw the line where to stop.

Tony
                      Even for a trail rig it is worth the extra few hours to do it right if you are going to do it. Especially if you are going with a metalic paint.
                      I ate bondo dust for a a few weeks when I did mine and should have spent just a another day to get a few more things perfect. Now when I look at it, all I see is the few imperfections I missed or or didn't know better than to do right at the time. Many of these I have now gone back and fixed, but it would have been a lot easier to get them right the first time.
                      Be patient it will be worth it.
                      69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

• Originally posted by highlander
                        Even for a trail rig it is worth the extra few hours to do it right if you are going to do it. Especially if you are going with a metalic paint...
                        Be patient it will be worth it.
                        That's pretty much how I feel about it, and there's no reason for me to rush this. I've never done body work to this extent before but for an amateur I think I've got the hang of it pretty well.
                        I'm debating whether to go with a metallic paint or just stick to a solid color (which I'm told is MUCH easier). Then there's the whole single vs two-stage argument. I'll get it all figured out sooner or later.
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

• I agree with Highlander. I didn't want to make a show truck when I was doing my paint and body work, so I just did the necessary work to get some color on it. (which was a lot work!) I drew the line at one point and just painted it. Now I too see every imperfection in it when I look at it and kind of wish that I had taken just a little bit more time with the body work.. Although, I have added some imperfections on the trails too!

Comment

• Well, after reading Crawlin68's and Highlander's words of wisdom, I may have taken their message a little too seriously, because while doing body work over the weekend with a pneumatic block sander (btw, this is the ONLY way to go) I burnt up my air compressor!

Much like with a trail rig, breaking gear just means its time to upgrade. I've got a bigger, badder compressor on indefinite loan coming my way this weekend... This means I have to pull more power into the garage, but I've been meaning to do that for years and now I finally have an excuse...

It just sucks because my old compressor's warranty just expired about 2 months ago. Parts are hard to come by and it was a bit of a contraption anyway. I could probably rebuild it, but I've moved on.

Tony
                            Last edited by CityHick; 07-18-2007, 08:30 PM.
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

• Sweet. Glad I could help you get a new compressor! He He! Can you give me something to do so I can burn mine up too? I am tried of how loud this damn oil less compressor is. I would like to get an old fashioned oiled compressor. Please help.

Comment

• Originally posted by crawlin68
                                Sweet. Glad I could help you get a new compressor! He He! Can you give me something to do so I can burn mine up too? I am tried of how loud this damn oil less compressor is. I would like to get an old fashioned oiled compressor. Please help.
                                you would love to meet my dad. I am way to spoiled when it comes to tools. he has everything. including a 200 gallon tank with a 7horse electric motor on it. the compressor is so quiet. I dont know how people work on things with out air.

now the one thing that i have heard from my dad is dont get one of those stand up ones. he says that the motor is this little tiny thing and it runs loud and fast just to keep up. he always says that a bigger motor is the only way to go.

I cant wait to see the new paint job on this truck!
                                {o===o}
                                Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                                EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                                Originally posted by CityHick
                                I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Working...
                                X