70 Sport resto/mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 70 Sport resto/mod

Yesterday after work there was a box from WH on my porch. I now have a functional parking brake again, and all is good. Thanks for the extremely fast turnaround WH! As it turns out I may pay you guys a visit tomorrow anyway, in the Bronco even... coulda saved myself a little shipping. Oh well.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

I owe you all some pictures of my most recent progress. I picked up a pair of tube doors off ClassicBroncos, did some custom welding on them over the weekend and mounted a pair of Harley Davidson mirrors on them. Otherwise I've been spending my Bronco time on preventive maintenance for my upcoming camping/wheeling trip. Amazing how time consuming some of this stuff can be. Otherwise I've just been driving the rig as much as possible, and I finally feel I'm at a point where the bugs are about 98% worked out.

If anybody's planning to be up on the Deer Valley or Strawberry Pass trails, I'm leaving Thursday after work for Lake Alpine, running Deer Valley on Friday July 3rd and probably hanging out in that area for a day or so. Then I plan to run Strawberry Pass from 88 to 50, then pass through South Lake Tahoe to Buck Lake and/or Blackwood Canyon, returning to Livermore sometime around Wednesday, July 8th.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Missed a spot.
        Attached Files
        70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

LOL. Yep forgot to mention that in my response to your Deer Valley thread. I put a pretty good slice through a few tread lugs in my new MTRs. I don't know how you guys who run 3.5" of lift manage to run 37" tires. They seem too big for my 5.5" lift, and the clearance is on the inner, not outer fenders, where cutting isn't really an option. My solution for the short term is to run taller bump stops.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

did you air down at all?
            I know with my setup i could get away with 37's off road.
            {o===o}
            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
            EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
            Originally posted by CityHick
            I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
              did you air down at all?
              I know with my setup i could get away with 37's off road.
              Yep - 15 psi.
              I do not see how 37" tires fit a 3.5" lifted rig, even with a body lift. I'll have to take a closer look at a rig set up that way to see what was done for tire clearance. I would not mind dropping a couple inches off my suspension one day.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

i can solve your problem...
                Duel beadlocks and run like 5psi. should take the tire size down

Or I'll trade you tires

The other Tony and i were talking about different suspensions for about an hour. seems that no two act the same. perfect example is Ricks rig. its so simple but it performs flawlessly. He crawled up all the way on the RTI ramp at POPS and won the rock pile too. I think hes runnin 4.5 rear / 3.5 front with a BL on 37x14.5x17. More complicated like... SonicDonley with his front end set up that stays planted on the ground when backed up on the 30* ramp and Pat with his link'd goodies twisting this way and that way.

Is it the front/rear or both that are rubbing?
                {o===o}
                Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                Originally posted by CityHick
                I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Had to 'massage' (read beat) those knife like seams up so I didnt do that anymore, siped my 35 MTRs too
                  68 Slightly modified
                  67 LUBR once again
                  61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
                    i can solve your problem...
                    Duel beadlocks and run like 5psi. should take the tire size down... Or I'll trade you tires ...
                    The other Tony and i were talking about different suspensions for about an hour. seems that no two act the same. Is it the front/rear or both that are rubbing?
                    You're a funny man Ryan... I am not swapping tires for anything right now! And as cool as double beadlocks would be, they're not in the budget right now, at all!

Originally posted by Broncrick View Post
                    Had to 'massage' (read beat) those knife like seams up so I didnt do that anymore, siped my 35 MTRs too
                    I never rubbed the front fenders, I was rubbing and slicing in the rear. I think my trailside bodywork with the BFH might have done the trick, but I'll be investing in some taller bumpstops in the near future. I seem to have travel to spare so limiting my bump with some stops would not be a problem. I might actually just have a buddy machine some blocks out of aluminum to lower my existing bumpstops a few inches.
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

Today I received a pair of new Warn Premium hubs from WH (gotta love next day UPS service from Stockton to Livermore) and a set of hub bearings and races. As I've been off all week, I spent this afternoon rebuilding my spindles and installing the new hubs. On my Buck Lake trip earlier this week, I seemed to be driving in 3-wheel drive on occasion, and I was hearing a strange pop once in a while. I also heard this pop at Prairie City, so something was definitely up. Closer inspection of my hubs showed that they were pretty worn and not engaging correctly. My wheel bearings had also seen better days so all is new in there now, and freshly packed with Red Line grease. It was actually an easier job than I had anticipated.

Keep an eye on this thread in a week or two. I have a pretty cool project in the works...
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

Tony, it was rear seams/metal I had to massage. Congrats on catching a prob before it faills
                        68 Slightly modified
                        67 LUBR once again
                        61 Willy Wagon

Comment

The rear wheels end up all over the place with leaf springs, I used to rub 33" with 3.5" SL and 2" body. When I went to 37's and 5.5" I thought every thing was going to clear flexing from forks and on ramps, but when you get out in the rock's and start pushing up stuff the rear axle will move forward 3-4" as the springs wrap up. I have a nice sips a quarter of the way around one of my tires. I rolled the lips flat as possible so if they rubbed it didn't do any damage. Now that I have the 4-link I can stuff teh tire several more inches into teh fender without worrying about it hitting.
                          69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Another quick, non-picture update...

As some of you know, my rig's engine developed a crappy low idle after my Deer Valley trip, and fuel consumption was up. I decided it was time for some testing and tuning.

I found that my choke was way out of whack (adjusted when I was up at 7500 feet, so it didn't fully open when I returned to sea level). I also found my timing was a bit off, about 15* BTDC with no vacuum hooked up. I brought it down to about 8*. Finally, I found that the secondaries on my carb were not allowed to fully open. A little tweaking on all of these and all of a sudden my Bronco feels like it gained 50+ more horsepower! I was starting to think that my crate motor was just weak and I was stuck, but holy crap it's got some cajones now! The "seat of the pants" feel is very noticeable, and stabbing the throttle in 2nd or 3rd, it sounds healthier and I definitely feel those big Qjet secondaries popping.

I took it for a drive last night, and was able to hammer on it a bit - I've gotta say I now know what I was missing! I can't wait to see the difference at higher speeds.

Now to fix my t-case oil leak...
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                              I scored a couple nice parts this weekend... two York a/c compressors. My dad had them sitting on a shelf - they are the 9ci model and I already did the oil mod to both of them, where you tap the oil passage next to the output shaft bearing and thread in a 10-32 set screw.
                              Tony,
                              Looking at picking up a York at the pick-n-pull this weekend. Any way you can snap some pics of the "oil" mod so I get a better idea of what's going on? Me likes pictures...

Thanks,
                              Fungus
                              sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus232 View Post
                                Tony,
                                Looking at picking up a York at the pick-n-pull this weekend. Any way you can snap some pics of the "oil" mod so I get a better idea of what's going on? Me likes pictures...

Thanks,
                                Fungus
                                Hey - the York Oil mod is really easy:
                                http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor..._mod/index.asp

I wish I had the room for a York, they pump pretty well. The mod doesn't remove all the oil from the compressed air but it definitely cuts down on how much goes out. I don't have the room so I run a Sanden, which is ok for filling the tank for my ARBs, and also ok for airing up tires, but the York pumps harder.
                                1970 Bronco
                                My build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X