70 Sport resto/mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 70 Sport resto/mod

Your bumper came out sweet Tony! Do you think you'll add a second swing out for an ice chest or jerry can?

Comment

Thanks Patrick!
      I'm pretty happy with it (for now). I'm thinking about a second swing out and might just buy one of these (the "carrier box" down towards the bottom) and make it fit on the other side.. But with that big 37" balloon back there, there's not a whole lot of room left. Ideally I'd like to carry two jerry cans and an ice chest back there - but that is a whole lot of weight to cantilever off a bumper! That bumper is pretty stout though - 2x6x.25".
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Nice job T!!! Two cans on bottom long ways out (like mine) and cooler on top, It'll fit!!! Dont forget the high-lift too !!!
        Last edited by TBS-POPS; 02-07-2009, 06:07 PM.
        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
        BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
        RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

I'm not sure where to put the high lift - its a little tight behind the tire to try and squeeze that thing in. I'm kinda thinking that mounting it somewhere to the roll cage might be a better option.
          I really like the idea of carrying two jerry cans though and I'm still noodling on this idea. Definitely need a cooler rack too.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

I think Steve also mounted his Jerry cans that way, and you should have plenty of room for that. Looks really good Tony. All of it.
            Marc D.
            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

It's looking like Uncle Sam owes me more than I thought he did this year. That combined with what sounds like a good bonus at work on the horizon, and I'm starting to think a rear ARB and upgraded shafts might happen sooner than later, along with a few other goodies... Of course I know CA won't be paying me what they owe me anytime soon!

now if I could just make up my mind about my OBA setup... Leaning towards an electric pump feeding a tank for simplicity - I'm not sure I can squeeze the stuff for a belt-driven pump under my stock hood (neatly) on my current brackets. We'll see...
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

I scored a couple nice parts this weekend... two York a/c compressors. My dad had them sitting on a shelf - they are the 9ci model and I already did the oil mod to both of them, where you tap the oil passage next to the output shaft bearing and thread in a 10-32 set screw. Now I just need to fit one of them onto my bracket and plumb...

The plan is to mount a tank underneath somewhere, then run a regulated supply out to a manifold to run the front (and one day rear) ARBs. I'll also plumb a couple of quick disconnects, probably one front, one rear to connect air hoses to for tire inflation and to run air tools (and a pneumatic blender...)

I plan to start designing and building this system this week and into next weekend. I can't wait to be able to run my front ARB...
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Got 4 days off from work this weekend...

The plan is to hit the junk yard tomorrow morning for some odds-n-ends and hopefully start building my OBA setup. The York option doesn't look like its going to work for me - its difficult stuffing that compressor under my stock hood without major bracketry changes.

By the end of the weekend I also hope to have the cage and seat mount out, finish the welding, paint both, and hopefully it won't be long before they are both reinstalled. I've got a few goodies en-route from polyperformance too...

I'm also studying for the GMAT so I won't be able to devote quite as much time to the rig as I'd like - but my priorities are changing a bit. I still plan on wheeling this summer though!
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

I now have onboard air!

... Well sort of anyway. My junkyard Sanden compressor is mounted and functional, and boy does it move some air. Following the directions found here, I performed the "oil mod" which seems to have worked, as the air coming out of my compressor is pretty dry with just a very faint oil mist. When I first fired it up there was a ton of oil coming out, but I've determined that it was just what remained on the discharge side of the compressor, as the oil I've added to the suction side seems to be holding constant now. Per that article, if you just top the oil off every so often, there's no need for a pre-oiler once this mod is done.

To filter the air coming into the compressor, I picked up an open-element breather filter at Kragen, and simply attached it to the intake side. I then had an air conditioning line made up with some nice fittings at Tri-Valley hose here in Livermore. I also picked up a 2.5 gallon ViAir tank from Poly Performance which I plan to plumb into the system soon with a pressure switch to regulate the tank to maybe 100 PSI or so.

The bracket was pretty simple to make - it's just a chunk of 3/16" plate steel with four tabs welded on to bolt the compressor to. This all fits neatly on my Econoline bracket so my Saginaw pump can still be used easily.

I've got an ARB solenoid valve on order and I'll plumb that system whenever it arrives. I'm also planning to run a quick-disconnect air chuck to both the front and rear of the vehicle for tire inflation and powering air tools.

To activate the AC pump clutch, I've got a switch in the switch panel on my dash.

Otherwise, I spent some more time under my dash cleaning up my wiring harness and making more stuff work. It was a productive couple of days of wrenching - I am trying hard to get my rig ready for the trails!

A picture of my bracket and pump are attached... still a little cleanup to do but its getting pretty close.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by CityHick; 02-23-2009, 03:15 PM.
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

Nice Tony, I've been draggin' arse on my system. How much did he charge you for the fittings? Is that the same place on 1st St. before the overpass?
                      '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Originally posted by FFMDX View Post
                        Nice Tony, I've been draggin' arse on my system. How much did he charge you for the fittings? Is that the same place on 1st St. before the overpass?
                        You're thinking of "Tubes-n-hoses" (Accurate Auto Care) - different place. A friend turned me on to Tri-Valley hose which is actually a stone's throw from your place, on Preston Ave, just off Vasco, south of the freeway.

$30 for 6' of A/C hose with fittings crimped onto both ends. I'd bet Accurate would have charged over $40 for the same setup... but Accurate does stock a ton of AN stuff if you're in a pinch and can't wait for summit or anplumbing.com to ship.
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

I was surprised with a better than expected annual bonus this year... and my federal tax refund should be here pretty soon too. I am getting really close to being ready to do some 4-wheeling and I'm now at the point of deciding between items that are "nice to have" vs. "must have" items.

In the Must Have column, a rear ARB and axle shafts are going to happen soon. Anybody good at setting up gears? I'll supply the beer!

In the Nice to Have column, I'm thinking about getting the roll cage, seat mount, and bumpers powder coated. I really dislike the rattlecan paint on my front bumper and at a minimum I'll be painting it with some type of better paint. I know either will get messed up... I'm just being a little A.R. with some of the finishing details. That and I suck at shooting spray paint out of a can. My cage looks like crap in spray paint!

This weekend I hope to have the rest of the parts I need for my OBA and I'd like to get my front ARB operational.
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

Check with Mark (Weldnmn) about the gears... Looking good Tony
                            Rick-

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                            I was surprised with a better than expected annual bonus this year... and my federal tax refund should be here pretty soon too. I am getting really close to being ready to do some 4-wheeling and I'm now at the point of deciding between items that are "nice to have" vs. "must have" items.

In the Must Have column, a rear ARB and axle shafts are going to happen soon. Anybody good at setting up gears? I'll supply the beer!

In the Nice to Have column, I'm thinking about getting the roll cage, seat mount, and bumpers powder coated. I really dislike the rattlecan paint on my front bumper and at a minimum I'll be painting it with some type of better paint. I know either will get messed up... I'm just being a little A.R. with some of the finishing details. That and I suck at shooting spray paint out of a can. My cage looks like crap in spray paint!

This weekend I hope to have the rest of the parts I need for my OBA and I'd like to get my front ARB operational.
                            68 Slightly modified
                            67 LUBR once again
                            61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Well... as usual it got dark before I could snap any pictures, but I now have functional onboard air! Got the tank plumbed but I've got a leak in a union joint near the tank that needs to be addressed - basically the hose coming off my pump is about 12" too short to reach the tank directly so I tried to plumb it hardline with a union but the union does not seem to like high pressure. I think I'm going to plumb it with a short section of air compressor hose with quick disconnects and call it done. Pictures will come soon...

My little Sanden compressor sure pumps some air! I dropped the tank back down to zero PSI and called it a night.

-Tony
                              1970 Bronco
                              My build thread

Comment

Where'd you get your inline filter/s press switch.....
                                '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Working...
                                X