70 Sport resto/mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 70 Sport resto/mod

Cut the shifter where it is before the bend. get a grade 8 bolt and cut the ends off so you only have the smooth part of the shank. Chanfer \ / the ends and weld onto your shifter to make longer.
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Tony, you are famous. I saw your bronco, and you in this video. I guess that really is your bronco you have been taking pictures of all these years.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Cxl-jBIbE
      Marc D.
      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

That first trip up the ramp felt weird and I kept letting the engine die. Better to get over that on a ramp than on some rock somewhere!

Glad to see I've hit YouTube!
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy4zack View Post
          Cut the shifter where it is before the bend. get a grade 8 bolt and cut the ends off so you only have the smooth part of the shank. Chanfer \ / the ends and weld onto your shifter to make longer.
          That's not a bad idea Aaron. I may do that!
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Tony, it was good to meet you last Saturday finally. I was sort of in a daze. Between all the people I hadn't seen for awhile and the meds I was (still am) taking for my whacked-out back, I was a little slow on the uptake. I saw your Bronco and didn't make the connection at first. It looks fantastic!!!!!!!!!!
            1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
            I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Hey no problem Lars. And thanks for the compliments!

That group doesn't know me as "CityHick" so I wasn't exactly introducing myself as such. It was good to finally meet you too. Your Bronco is full of cool goodies... and you really got me thinking about that 12v refrigerator/freezer! Engel was it? At this stage in the game I am trying very hard not to get any more crazy ideas that will mean my Bronco has to go down for any length of time. Its too close to summer and my rig is finally on the road. I'm trying to keep it that way!

Sometime I'd like to get some info from you about central Nevada as it seems you know where the good spots are (more than most anyway).

-Tony
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                Hey no problem Lars. And thanks for the compliments!

That group doesn't know me as "CityHick" so I wasn't exactly introducing myself as such. It was good to finally meet you too. Your Bronco is full of cool goodies... and you really got me thinking about that 12v refrigerator/freezer! Engel was it? At this stage in the game I am trying very hard not to get any more crazy ideas that will mean my Bronco has to go down for any length of time. Its too close to summer and my rig is finally on the road. I'm trying to keep it that way!

Sometime I'd like to get some info from you about central Nevada as it seems you know where the good spots are (more than most anyway).

-Tony
                Engel MT45F is what I have. Seems to be the most popular model with the expedition crowd. http://www.engelaustralia.com.au/

I installed a power outlet (AKA "cigarette lighter") in my speaker panel behind the drivers seat to run it. Bolted some tie down rings on the floor in the same area to keep the fridge strapped in place. Gotta be easy to reach from the seats!

Unfortunately the fridges have gotten crazy expensive. Not that mine wasn't, but I got mine for under $600 delivered last year, now they are at least $100 more. You tend to forget the price though, when, after 6 days on the trail, you can reach into the thing at the end of the day and pull out a cold beer that doesn't smell like all the other food that would ordinarily be floating around in an ice chest. Life's little luxuries...

Central NV is a topic for a thread of its own. I first got the bug years ago, flying over the state in a rented Cessna, flying along ridges and looking down some of the canyons we saw. There are threads about the region on expeditionportal.com and advrider.com; that's where I got some of my planning ideas.
                1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Been working on a few miscellaneous odds and ends on the rig, nothing major... Attached is a picture of my *free* gearbanger and newly bent twin sticks. It is getting too hot out in the garage and after having a few people pop in this afternoon I think progress is coming to a halt for the day.

Tomorrow's plan is to hopefully find an e-brake cable locally, and to run one or two air chucks to strategic spots on the rig to complete my onboard air setup. I am only a few days out from taking my rig on its first extended trip and I am looking very forward to it.
                  Attached Files
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

Nice job Tony!!
                    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Something funny just occurred to me. The first time I wash my rig will be after its first camping/4-wheeling trip! I have never actually washed my rig since it got painted - only dusted it off occasionally. It has seen entirely too much garage time and far to little time in the woods.

Later this week some buddies of mine and I are planning to camp up near the slickrock trail and possibly run the trail while we're there, depending upon trail conditions and how our rigs do getting up there.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

Check to see if the gates are open on slick rock.. I heard they were still locked last week.
                        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                        BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                        RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

I called the Calaveras ranger district on Friday. They told me that the whole area - spicer, slickrock, utica/union, and lake alpine will all be open for memorial day weekend. I saw a thread over on Pirate where guys have already run slickrock (legally they say) this year with a light snow covering.

I honestly don't even care if I run the trail or not. I really just want to get my rig out to stretch its legs on the highway and do some camping. I haven't been up to the mountains in far too long and they are calling.
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

joaquin jeepers ran it saturday. I'll check tomarrow on how it was.
                            sigpic70w/ 69/351w/GT40 lightning heads 435/203/D20 5.5/3in 44/arb 9in/detroit need some beadlocks

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                              I managed to get my differential back into the axle housing carefully using my floor jack to help. I then basically just tilted it onto the bolts. Went in with no problems what so ever. I slid the shafts in and discovered that I didn't get a new pair of axle flange gaskets, so I am now on the hunt for the axle flange/backing plate gaskets (whatever they are called). Kragen lists them but does not have them, and can't get them. Unfortunately the "good" parts store in town closes too friggin early. I guess I'm not driving the Bronco to work tomorrow like I'd hoped to

Oh well...
                              Tony,
                              Where did you end up getting these gaskets? Got my new 31 spline axles from Tom's the other day and totally forgot about these little do-dads... I tried NAPA awhile back when I put in a new axle bearing and the tard looked at me like I was from a different planet... My local NAPA SUCKS down here!!!
                              sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

I got them from a local chain here called Monument Auto Parts. NAPA by all means should be able to get them, otherwise summit maybe?
                                1970 Bronco
                                My build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X