No announcement yet.

Highlander's Bronco Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I received a second package from Poly Performance today, when I opened it all the rest of the parts for my 4-link came except the LH JJ. I did get 4 RH JJ. So for a while my hopes were up about having the 4 link in by memorial weekend. I called PP and they said at least 1-2 weeks before the LH JJ come in.
    Last edited by highlander; 05-04-2007, 02:15 PM.
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Man, this shortage of JJ sure makes you wonder what happened to cause this shortage. Did the place that builds them burn to the ground? These things have been backordered for a long time.
      Marc D.
      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Man, this shortage of JJ sure makes you wonder what happened to cause this shortage. Did the place that builds them burn to the ground? These things have been backordered for a long time.
        I think it must be a component, because the Flex joints are different than JJ's, and they are also affected. I'm thinking maybe the ball in the center, or the moly bushings, they seem to be similar from one brand to another.
        Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
        I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72
          Currie is the only one with this design.."Johnnie works for Currie" and for $35.00 Its a deal!! Spring is here and projects have started..
          A
          KK6DAD
          70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Well, I just received a call from Poly Performance, and they informed me that the LH JJ's won't be available until 6-23-07 They do have the RH and no shank ones in stock. So now I have to decide if I should use the weld in (shank-less ends and not have adjust ability, buy someone else's joints, or keep waiting.
            Last edited by highlander; 04-02-2008, 08:44 PM.
            69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Man, that sucks. You have a big decision ahead of you. My .02 cents is to wait for the right joints. I know it sucks to wait, but they are the right part for the location.
              Marc D.
              If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I started looking for some alternatives, and the only ones I feel comfortable using are Flex Joints (like Galen is going to use), but they are also backordered until May 25 and cost more. It sounds like I will be waiting, I want to make some trips in June and then most of the trails open July so I don't know how eager I will be to tear the bronco down. Hopefully my leaves don't bend up to bad while I wait.

Comment

That's pretty frustrating. Have you thought about buying "econo" heims for now, and changing them out when your JJ's show up. I think Ballistic sells 1" heims for about the same price as a JJ. After the swap, you'd have a trail spare or two, and maybe you could sell to another member for trail spare (Crawln')

Not the best solution, but it'd get you on the road.

Comment

Why not just go with the 1.25 heims for the lower links and the 7/8 heims for the uppers? That's what I am thinking about doing.

Comment

• That's pretty frustrating. Have you thought about buying "econo" heims for now, and changing them out when your JJ's show up. I think Ballistic sells 1" heims for about the same price as a JJ. After the swap, you'd have a trail spare or two, and maybe you could sell to another member for trail spare (Crawln')

Not the best solution, but it'd get you on the road.

I looked in to that also, but I would need 1.25" threads, a little more $$. It is on the road with leaves now so I will just delay the upgrades including the doubler. Besides my 5.5" lift only has about 200 miles on it.

Comment

• Why not just go with the 1.25 heims for the lower links and the 7/8 heims for the uppers? That's what I am thinking about doing.
                        I have seen bad results with heims, growing up around sprint-cars, truck pulls, and monster trucks, I saw many heims that were very short lived. I spent many hours cleaning them with penetrates to help extend there life. In sprint cars the highest quality heims would get changed out two or three time a season due to wear. On the monster trucks they would usually break before they wore out but the ones that lived longer became very sloppy very fast.
                        I want something longer lived, sealed, serviceable (greasable), and rebuildable. Plus, I already have all the inserts and 5 of the 8 joints I need.
                        Last edited by highlander; 05-21-2007, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• .....I want something longer lived, sealed, serviceable (greasable), and rebuildable.....
                          What he said!!

Comment

• I think that you will find that the JJ's need even more service and more frequently though.

Comment

• I think that you will find that the JJ's need even more service and more frequently though.
                              Meaning a shot of grease, or more?

Comment

• Originally posted by 720Racer
                                Meaning a shot of grease, or more?

Meaning adjusting the tension on the inner ball to ensure it's not too tight and not too loose as the plastic "washers" wear. Tearing them all apart to clean and/or replace the plastic "washers". And of course, greasing them too. I just think that they will require a little more attention in the long run.

This all just my theory. I could be talk'n out my arse!
                                Last edited by crawlin68; 05-21-2007, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X