No announcement yet.

Highlander's Bronco Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good Highlander but man I am impressed that your rig still stays cool with the radiator completely behind the tranny cooler.

Mine runs cool until I make that climb from Clovis up to Shaver. You know Hwy. 168 that goes up 4-5K feet in like 6 miles. I always overheat up that thing.

FM <><
    72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
    1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Nice work. Except for the Radiator. I would have cried too. That should keep both your PS fluid and tranny fluid nice and cooooool.

Comment

Looks good Highlander but man I am impressed that your rig still stays cool with the radiator completely behind the tranny cooler.

Mine runs cool until I make that climb from Clovis up to Shaver. You know Hwy. 168 that goes up 4-5K feet in like 6 miles. I always overheat up that thing.

FM <><
        Thanks, well I a haven't had a chance to test this new setup out yet, but my engine never ran over 180° with the old setup. I suppose I should of shown pics of my old coolers in place. Her is a couple pics of me holding them about where they used to sit, you can see how much bigger the new one is.
        Attached Files
        69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Wow, thats a big ass'd cooler!
          Is there enough room behind the grill?
          Mark Harris
          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by Familyman

FM <><

Ahhh yes, the dreaded 4 lanes portion of 168!

Comment

Wow, thats a big ass'd cooler!
              Is there enough room behind the grill?
              Just barely the cooler is 1.5" thick.
              69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

DAMN!! May have to reconsider my choice of tranny cooler, similar to your old one but not in the grille, was gonna stick her right where the passenger vent top use to be in the cowl.

Comment

I'm running a 17x10 cooler behind the rad. and blowing trans fluid out the vent crawling steep hills. Interested to see how your setup works being in front of the rad. My mistake on install was using those stupid straps that go thru the rad. They broke loose driving out of the river crossing at Fordyce and just shaved the fins. Your brackets are definitly the way to go.
                  67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                  69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                  69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                  79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                  67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

I'm running a 17x10 cooler behind the rad. and blowing trans fluid out the vent crawling steep hills. Interested to see how your setup works being in front of the rad. My mistake on install was using those stupid straps that go thru the rad. They broke loose driving out of the river crossing at Fordyce and just shaved the fins. Your brackets are definitly the way to go.
                    My C4 has had puking problems (seems to be common on C4's), I ran the vent in the intermediate housing up to the firewall and it stopped puking on inclines. It would still puke under heavy loads when hot, so I added a dry sump catch can (sort of like a radiator overflow canister.) so when it pukes a little it doesnt spill and when it cools it can be opened to drain back in to the tranny. I am hoping this new cooler will reduce this.
                    Last edited by highlander; 04-03-2007, 07:41 PM.

Comment

The new cooler seems to have solved my trail temp problems, at it's worst my tranny peaked at 200°, but averaged 180-190° on the trail. I didn't notice any change in engine temps so it seems my radiator is still getting enough airflow. I will have to drive down the road and back up the hill to confirm the highway engine temps. If it still stays cool coming up the 4-lanes I will be set. The new power steering cooler seemed to work as well as the old one. Without out a temp guage on it I can't compare them, but I am confident it is running cool.
                      Now I just need to replace the front axle shaft I broke this weekend and I should be good until the 203 doubler and 4-link go in.

Comment

I heard the C4 has a port for the tranny temp sending unit...you use this or an in line sender?

Phil is mounting my cooler under the bronco, to the body, right in line with the middle body mounts. It is a bis ass fan...I think 30000 gvw
                        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

I tapped a hole in the pan right below the dipstick tube, I have a B&M deep sump pan. I am not aware of a port on the tranny. My cooler is 30,000 GVW. I was trying to avoid mounting under the body mostly because I was concerned about it packing with mud and dirt. The coolers w/ fans should work in that location as long as it isn't near the exhaust. I would avoid mounting under the hood unless you a have a tubed front end.

Comment

I was able to pick up my new to me door inserts and STC half doors today, the price was right so I couldn't pass them up. They are about 4 years old but never installed.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Nice score. Are you going to paint them to match?

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                              I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Nice score. Are you going to paint them to match?
                                Yes, I have a few other blemishes to fix and touch up so I will spray them orange while I am at it. I was considering painting my corner protectors orange too, what do you think. I kind of like the rattle can finish for ease of touch up.

Comment

Working...
                                X