No announcement yet.

Project Crawlin68

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The brown truck showed up this afternoon with my mog boxes and axle shafts. Here are a few pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
      I will be putting a rear truss as well as a top truss. The mog boxes do put a lot of extra torque on the housing and I've seen some pretty ugly 9 inch housings that literally split apart from the added torque. I don't know if I like the tube trusses. I like the idea of the boxed trusses from a strength standpoint. How much was the rear truss from Summit?

Let me know what you have in your scrap pile. Thanks!
      The rear truss from Summit was $50-60. It is a bit short, if I were to do it again I would probably make my own form square tubing. I'll check my scraps tomorrow for you. I have 20' of 2 x 6 -.250 wall to make my rockers so I have some extra, although it might be a little overkill.
      69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

• Originally posted by highlander View Post
        The rear truss from Summit was $50-60. It is a bit short, if I were to do it again I would probably make my own form square tubing. I'll check my scraps tomorrow for you. I have 20' of 2 x 6 -.250 wall to make my rockers so I have some extra, although it might be a little overkill.
        There you go! OVERKILL
        Last edited by Cheesenip73; 11-30-2007, 06:35 AM.

Comment

• Will you just have a new center made for your wheel or can you change the MOG lug pattern? Looks awesome.
          “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

• Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
            Will you just have a new center made for your wheel or can you change the MOG lug pattern? Looks awesome.
            I am going to turn down the stock mog hub and weld on a new hub with the 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern.

Comment

• I looked through my scraps, I have ~2' of 2x6-1/8" and a little over 1' of 3x6-3/16". Plus I should have an extra 8' or so of 2x6-1/4"
              Last edited by highlander; 11-30-2007, 09:47 AM.
              69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

I looked through my scraps, I have ~2' of 2x6-1/8" and a little over 1' of 3x6-3/16". Plus I should have an extra 8' or so of 2x6-1/4"
                Well darn, the 2 x 6 x 1/8 is perfect for my rear truss, but I would need a least 3' of it. I think the 2 x 6 x 1/4 might be too heavy. Believe it or not, I'm trying keep the weight down.

Comment

I was searching on Summit's website but can't find it anywhere?? What did you search for to find it?

Comment

• Look for axle housing braces:
                    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
                    Last edited by highlander; 11-30-2007, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Mine only measures 18" on one side and 19" on the other (2-piece)

Comment

I am going to turn down the stock mog hub and weld on a new hub with the 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern.
                        Will you be specific onthis build up so we can see how it all comes together? I am interested in the axle shafts, how the outers mount to the tubes, and how it all works together. Love this idea.
                        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

• Summit also sells one that goes across the back

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Comment

• I found that one after Highlander told me what words to use in the search to find them. I was trying "truss", "support", "reinforcement" to no avail. But I didn't try "brace". That was the magic word.
                            Last edited by crawlin68; 11-30-2007, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
                              Will you be specific onthis build up so we can see how it all comes together? I am interested in the axle shafts, how the outers mount to the tubes, and how it all works together. Love this idea.
                              Yeah, I'll take a lot pics and post them too. Speaking of which, I got the housing all sand blasted and primered. I cut one flange off because I needed the ID of the axle tube. Just in case anyone was wondering, the axle tube thickness on a 78/79 truck/Bronco axle is .257 and the ID of the tube is 2.77.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, I'll take a lot pics and post them too. Speaking of which, I got the housing all sand blasted and primered. I cut one flange off because I needed the ID of the axle tube. Just in case anyone was wondering, the axle tube thickness on a 78/79 truck/Bronco axle is .257 and the ID of the tube is 2.77.
                                Your not done yet, what's takings so long
                                You mentioned earlier you thought about shaving the housing, will you get any benefit out of that with the portals? It seems like with the housing sitting 6" higher and the third installed upside down that the bottom of the housing will be almost parallel with the ground to get the pinion angle right. If so there really isn't anything to shave.
                                Also you haven't mentioned it yet, but are you planning to make/buy box braces for the portals?
                                Last edited by highlander; 11-30-2007, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X