Project Crawlin68

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mmm, I like the rear.
    What are you going to do with the front?

Comment

• Originally posted by House View Post
      Mmm, I like the rear.
      What are you going to do with the front?
      I'll keep the D60 front that I have now. 9 times out of 10 when I get a diff hung up on a rock, it's the rear. So this will eliminate that problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
        It will still be street-able. I am going to run a 2.47 R&P in the 9 inch. That coupled with the 2.13 of the mog box gives me a final ratio of 5.26:1.....
        Will that be close enough to the 5.13's in the front end?
        Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
        I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
          When you made your truss, did you use 2 x 3 x 3/16 wall? You don't happen to have any of that left over do you? I went down to Valley Iron but they didn't have any in their remnant pile. I would have had to buy 10' of it.

Did you make a template out of cardboard by any chance?
          The top truss was 3 x 10? x 3/16" The back truss I bought from Summit. I would have to look if I still have the top truss templates, but I would think they would be different for your style housing, mine is a banjo type.
          I might have some 2 x ?? in my scrap pile, I will check for you.
          With the added leverage of the portal you will probably want a pretty solid and wide top truss. Since you have a tube bender look at the attached pic, and look her for more info.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by highlander; 11-29-2007, 04:38 PM.
          69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

• Originally posted by 720Racer View Post
            Will that be close enough to the 5.13's in the front end?
            I don't know for sure. I was hoping that some of you experts could tell me.

Comment

• Originally posted by highlander View Post
              The top truss was 3 x 10? x 3/16" The back truss I bought from Summit. I would have to look if I still have the top truss templates, but I would think they would be different for your style housing, mine is a banjo type.
              I might have some 2 x ?? in my scrap pile, I will check for you.
              With the added leverage of the portal you will probably want a pretty solid and wide top truss. Since you have a tube bender look at the attached pic, and look her for more info.
              I will be putting a rear truss as well as a top truss. The mog boxes do put a lot of extra torque on the housing and I've seen some pretty ugly 9 inch housings that literally split apart from the added torque. I don't know if I like the tube trusses. I like the idea of the boxed trusses from a strength standpoint. How much was the rear truss from Summit?

Let me know what you have in your scrap pile. Thanks!

Comment

• I don't know for sure. I was hoping that some of you experts could tell me.
                If you can't match them, I'd opt for the front end being higher geared so it "pulls" instead of pushing. 5.13 vs. 5.26 is about 2.5% faster in the front. I'll bet it's noticable, but not the end of the world. Might tend to bind up, so you'll have to back up a little to get it out of 4wd. What's next after 2.47, 2.30 something? 2.41 would be perfect.

Comment

• I ran 3.50 in the front, and 3.23 in the rear of mine for about nine months. I ran my front tires at 8psi, and the rears at 4psi. Worked pretty good. That is what I had when we were down at the hammers. Remember the sandlot gear swap Joe and his buddies helped me with?
                  Oh yeah, I agree with the front pulling more.
                  Last edited by earlybronco72; 11-29-2007, 06:35 PM.
                  Marc D.
                  If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

• 2.47 is the lowest that was ever made for the 9 inch. And my only option for the front D60 is my current 5:13 or I could go to a 5.38. But the 5.38 wouldn't help much.

Well, I guess I'll just try it and see what happens. I guess the best way to fix this problem is to just built a mog9 for the front too!!!

Comment

• What am I doing wrong here. Why isn't 2.47 and 2.13 =4.50? What am I missing?

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                      It will still be street-able. I am going to run a 2.47 R&P in the 9 inch. That coupled with the 2.13 of the mog box gives me a final ratio of 5.26:1. The stock mog drum brakes are big, heavy and hold a lot of heat inside the box causing some over heating issues at highway speeds, but I'm converting to disc brakes so it will dissipate the heat much better eliminating the heat issues for street driving.
                      Marc D.

Comment

• It's 2.47 x 2.13 = 5.2611

Comment

• Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
                          What am I doing wrong here. Why isn't 2.47 and 2.13 =4.50? What am I missing?
                          Multiply.
                          {o===o}
                          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                          Originally posted by CityHick
                          I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

• If you want any help working on the Mog9 let me know. I'd really like the to see the insides of those portal hubs. Take some measurements and pictures. I've got some ideas fermenting in the back of my mind. Do you have to run the 3rd member upside down? Or are there 3 gears in the portal hub? If there were only two, your wheels would spin the wrong way, right? Do you know if they're spur, planetary, helical?

Also, which junkyard did you find the full width axle in? I'd like to find a fullsize Bronco or F150 to steal the drive train out of for my truck (D44, 9", 205, 435).

Comment

• Doh. See, I thought it would be something stupid like that.
                              Thanks Galen.

Originally posted by 720Racer View Post
                              It's 2.47 x 2.13 = 5.2611
                              Marc D.

Comment

• Originally posted by velo_junkie View Post
                                If you want any help working on the Mog9 let me know. I'd really like the to see the insides of those portal hubs. Take some measurements and pictures. I've got some ideas fermenting in the back of my mind. Do you have to run the 3rd member upside down? Or are there 3 gears in the portal hub? If there were only two, your wheels would spin the wrong way, right? Do you know if they're spur, planetary, helical?

Also, which junkyard did you find the full width axle in? I'd like to find a fullsize Bronco or F150 to steal the drive train out of for my truck (D44, 9", 205, 435).
                                You are welcome to come by anytime. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my address. Yes, I will be running the 3rd member upside down. There are 2 helical cut gears in the mog boxes.

I see quite a few Ford trucks, vans and Broncos out in Pick-N-Pull and Pick-A-Part. There is a 78/79 BB at Pick-A-Part right now. The rear axle is gone but the front was still there along with the 205.

Comment

Working...
                                X