Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    Thanks guys.
    now im planning to drop it in asap. i just need to get my dad.::cough cou YUKON Cough::. so i can go rent the dam cherry picker. then I am going to bolt up the clutch , bellhousing and the NP on the cherry. drop it in and awya i go!!

now i have a few questions for all of you. from what Chris at Elby's told me is that i need to bring it past idle for about 15 min to make sure nothing slips and BOOM! then i need about 500 miles on, then i dump the oil and replace it. next i need 2000 miles on it to redline it???

I remember when my dad bought a brand new boat. we had to put at least 10 hours on the motor before we could go over 3000 rpms and add more weight to it.

now what RPM's can i max out at durring the first 500. then the 2000 miles.
    and Chris at Elby's is a race car driver so i wanted some experience from all the new motor NCB guys.... thanks
    Start it and quickly get it running good enough to have it runn at 2000 rpms for 20 minutes to break in the cam. Not necessary if you have a roller. This is a critical step that cannot be over looked. For the first 500 miles keep it under 3500 rpms if you can. Drop the oil after that and then change it like normal. I have beat new motors in the first 3500 miles that have lasted for years with no issues. You main concern is to assure the rings seat properly. However, better safe than sorry.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
      Start it and quickly get it running good enough to have it runn at 2000 rpms for 20 minutes to break in the cam. Not necessary if you have a roller. This is a critical step that cannot be over looked. For the first 500 miles keep it under 3500 rpms if you can. Drop the oil after that and then change it like normal. I have beat new motors in the first 3500 miles that have lasted for years with no issues. You main concern is to assure the rings seat properly. However, better safe than sorry.

thats what I wanted to hear. I just want to make it down to the Pismo trip on the 22nd of July
      {o===o}
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
      Originally posted by CityHick
      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

After the first 20 minutes of break in shut it down and let it cool completly before restarting.

After that (next 500 miles) avoid running it at any constant RPM. Letting it sit and idle is the worst thing you can do.
        69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Quick question

STRAT UP IS GOING TO BE TODAY!!!

now to drive the oil pump I take the dizzy out and run the "shaft" counter clockwise correct?
          {o===o}
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

FINALLY

after some electrical let down (my fault OOPS ) i started it and ran it for 20 min and it didnt even choke once... MMMMM new motor smell is great. i cant hear anything and i love it.

VIDEO
            {o===o}

Comment

Another thing I forgot to tell you in addition to highlanders correct comment, vary your rpms and speeds while breaking it in. Meaning, do not do the initial break in then head doen the freeway at 55 for 5 hours straight. If you do have a long trip that you will do, go 55 for a while, then 65, then 70, then back to 55. 20-30 minutes between RPM changes. Stay away from wide open throttle during the entire break in period.

Congrats and the motor sounds great!
              “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

FINALLY

after some electrical let down (my fault OOPS ) i started it and ran it for 20 min and it didnt even choke once... MMMMM new motor smell is great. i cant hear anything and i love it.

VIDEO
                Looks good 71! Sounds good too... Enjoy your new engine!
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Thanks guys. all i can say is that it wa a pain in my @ASS.

nothing whent as planned with this, does it ever? lets just say that putting in the motor, tranny, t case is a 8!t(h. I dropped the motor and tranny together. the T-case i put back together with a floor jack and some creative thinking.
                  Nothing would work to get the t-case on the shaft because the motor was not in the "perfect" position. i was kicking and screaming to get this thing back in. As i was laying under the truck i just got mad at the t-case, rolled it onto my chest and dead pressed it up there. and what do you know it slides on about 1/4 inch on the shaft. I had no idea that a skinny 135lbs kid could lift that thing up and stick it in the hole.
                  After that whole ordeal i need to get the motor adjusted on the frame mounts so i could add the cross member and bushings. lets just say that it didnt work out to well. after another hour of getting up and down the bolts magically fitted and the t case was nice a secure.

now that whole starter thing funnier then anything. couldnt figure it out what so ever. Thanks again pops for the call.

last night hearing it run made me very happy and i forgot about the week long of nothing going as planned or working right.

Now all i need to do to get the exhaust done (again) is fill the t case with fluid, put the twin stick back in, pull the dizzy out and turn it because it is hitting the water pump elbow when adjusting it. change the air/fuel mixure and set the timing

But dam open headers sound cool.
                  {o===o}

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
                    Another thing I forgot to tell you in addition to highlanders correct comment, vary your rpms and speeds while breaking it in. Meaning, do not do the initial break in then head doen the freeway at 55 for 5 hours straight. If you do have a long trip that you will do, go 55 for a while, then 65, then 70, then back to 55. 20-30 minutes between RPM changes. Stay away from wide open throttle during the entire break in period.

Congrats and the motor sounds great!
                    deal i have been talking to the motor guy and he said the same thing. now where would io go that takes 5 hours?? dont tell me it starts with a P. driving down there in my moms honda takes about 3. so bronco... 3.50 gears, 1:1 tranny 4hrs maybe??

now why is it that i can go down and pick up a new BMW and drive it up HWY 5 at 100mph and its fine.. dam new cars!!!! hahahha

now i just need to get a tach (sp?). but 3500rpm's is a lot. i never go past 65mph on the freeway in the bronco. stopping its a little squirley hmm new project maybe?
                    {o===o}

Comment

Cool! yea grab a tach from a swap meet or something.. like Delta said, be easy, vary your rpms, and you'll be golden
                      Rick-
                      68 Slightly modified
                      67 LUBR once again
                      61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Thanks guys. all i can say is that it wa a pain in my @ASS.

1) ... nothing whent as planned with this, does it ever? ...

2) .... lets just say that it didnt work out to well. after another hour of getting up and down the bolts magically fitted and the t case was nice a secure...

3) ...But dam open headers sound cool.

71, here's my responses to a few of the "high points"

1) Mr. Murphy, of Murphy's Law, must have owned a Bronco
                        2) Been there... Bolts have magical properties that sometimes don't surface for an hour or two.
                        3)
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

well heres is the latest.
                          All summer this year and last year has been a water bottle between the windshield and the cage. well last night i decided to make some 100% custom brackets. and i think for my very first fab/thinking out of the box job is very good

went over to OSH and picked up some braces. no didnt have to tap or anything.
                          Attached Files
                          {o===o}

Comment

That look good. That should tighten up the seal between windshield and your top nicely. Are you going to weld the corner braces to the cage?

Comment

[quote=71BRONCO71;33771]...and i think for my very first fab/thinking out of the box job is very good...[quote]

Ryan,
                              A word of advice - be careful when thinking too far out of the box, because sometimes the lid will come slamming shut on you and it can hurt!

Ok lame joke... Those look good. That's almost precisely what I had in mind for my windshield stiffeners.
                              1970 Bronco
                              My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                                That look good. That should tighten up the seal between windshield and your top nicely. Are you going to weld the corner braces to the cage?
                                they are welded to the top side. my booger welds are nothing to be proud of so i thought i would leave the bottom of it alone. unless i can find someone that can do a much better job then what i did. I was using my dads old BUZZZZZZZ BOX. i can weld on a table real good but not when its 40* outside and on top of my cage. but its welded
                                {o===o}

Comment

Working...
                                X