PROJECT: Pokey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PROJECT: Pokey

So who can tell me what wire to use. Innershield or reg. Guessing .035 is a good wire for most jobs. can I use innershield and gas?

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
    That's not a buzz box, that is nice shiny new MIG welder! Nice!!
    My dad gave me his 220 Lincoln buzz box. Ive used it and can stick weld ok, but I wanted a good mig.
    Originally posted by Daddy4zack View Post
    way to go.... get some gas.. 75/25
    Every place closes at 5 M-F. Need to find a place near concord that I can get a small bottle.
    Originally posted by CityHick View Post
    Somebody got himself a shiny new buzz box I see... Which model is that?
    180. Exact same as yours. Thats why I asked about it. Havent sparked it yet. Need to find some scrap
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I would recommend .030 and .035 wire as for innershield or gas its either or don't use both gas will give you a better and cleaner weld but in windy conditions innershield is needed.
      try to stay away from cheap wire also..
      Last edited by kevoson; 08-20-2010, 11:06 AM.
      75 sport 302 c4 full width 44 front 9 rear let the building begin

Comment

.30 or .35 with gas... never look back....So now you are running 220v.. get a long extension cord for it. you can always make pigtails to adapt it to a different plug type also.
        Last edited by Daddy4zack; 08-20-2010, 11:18 AM.
        KK6DAD
        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

You're going to like the 180. I've found mine to be a very versatile machine. As for wire size, it really depends on the material you're working with. The chart on the inside of the cover is a pretty good reference and you can fine tune from there. Definitely get a gas bottle though.. that flux core wire is for the birds!

Is yours the stepped voltage control or infinite adjustment?
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Go with gas and keep a couple rolls of each size wire and tips for them. You never know when you might need to weld up some sheet metal or exhaust. For the record. I hardly ever take the .035 out of my machine.
            1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Just picked up a 4x4x2 box From Aaron a while ago and it needs to go on.While I am adding it I might as well get rid of that drop bracket for the trac bar and get a riser.

This steering set up got me thinking. The stock box sat on the outside of the frame and so does the 4x4x2. Do you think the stock drag link will work? I will be using the stock pitman arm and because I am rising the trac bar i wont need a drop pitman arm.

"DO DOM WITH1 TON TREs or HIEM" Ya ya ya.. I will. I am just thinking if I can get away with it for the winter time. I am still debating hiems or TREs. I will end up doing it but i am thinking for TRO and port the box for hydro so until i have everything together i will just wait. Any thoughts?

I am thinking of just grabbing this. For $11 more it comes with a re seal kit. I can keep it in the garage until one day i need it. I just need the hose and the bracket to weld on. I refuse to go to BC.
              http://www.wcb4x4.com/mm5/merchant.m...egory_Code=STR
              {o===o}
              EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

Send it off to be drilled and tapped for hydro and have them rebuild it at the same time. I sent mine to West Texas Offroad and they did it up for me. Does the box already have the reverse worm gear in it? I went with the Chebby 1 ton TRE and they have worked great. Plate the frame under the box and put new sleeves through the frame for the three mount bolts and you'll be good to go! Mock everything up and see how your angles look, then you'll know if you can reuse the drag link. If you're going 1 ton TRE's, you'll probably need to build another one anyway.

Comment

A word of caution on heim joint steering... if you're going to go this way, be sure to get really good heim joints. The best ones I've seen come from Performance Unlimited but they don't come cheap. As memory serves, their joints carry a lifetime warranty including being warranteed against noise. I run the BCB heim steering setup and after about 2 years of use, they are starting to make some noise when I turn. It got pretty bad towards the end of the Rubicon. I was able to silence them by hitting them with some spray lube, however that's a temporary workaround. I'll be replacing my joints before next season, likely with new ones from Perf. Unlimited.
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

If you need to shorten or lengthen the drag link to get by, just cut, sleeve and weld it up. It will be fine till you save up for your steering setup.

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

The box was rebuilt not to long ago.. So it should be good to go... I think i made a template of the reinforcement plate for the frame.... just cut two out of 1/4 plate.(inside/outside).

Just go DOM with TRE... port and ram assist later..
                      KK6DAD
                      70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy4zack View Post
                        The box was rebuilt not to long ago.. So it should be good to go... I think i made a template of the reinforcement plate for the frame.... just cut two out of 1/4 plate.(inside/outside).

Just go DOM with TRE... port and ram assist later..
                        scanned or cut out?
                        {o===o}

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
                          scanned or cut out?
                          Shit I traced it on the back of a 12 pack box.... I traced it for Marc D. also.. I can send you a copy. Shit I could cut some out with the plasma...
                          KK6DAD
                          70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

I like the way you think. I'll take 1 set please
                            I can scan it here at work so who ever wants to print it can.
                            {o===o}

Comment

I still have that template in my garage, coming to Roseville any time soon? I second the TRE's, and the only thing I see missing with that kit from WCB's is the sleeves for inside the frame rail. I think I used 1/2" sch40 water pipe on mine.
                              Hijack: Aaron, I have your tapered reamer. I just saw it the other day. PM me your addy so I can mail it back to you.
                              Marc D.
                              If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
                                I still have that template in my garage, coming to Roseville any time soon? I second the TRE's, and the only thing I see missing with that kit from WCB's is the sleeves for inside the frame rail. I think I used 1/2" sch40 water pipe on mine.
                                Hijack: Aaron, I have your tapered reamer. I just saw it the other day. PM me your addy so I can mail it back to you.
                                are you going to broncotoberfest? can pick up... Anyone have a reamer i can borrow?
                                {o===o}

Comment

Working...
                                X