70 Sport resto/mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seahawkfan
    What Mustang are you selling? 67 Fastback? That's gonna be my next project.
    Jeff
    I wish I had a 67... I've actually got a 2006 Mustang GT. Great car, but I'd rather have a classic. I bought it in late 05 thinking it would satisfy my desire for a cool car but as time drew on I got bored with it - which is part of the reason I got my Bronco. It's too damned expensive to tinker with a new car, plus there's always the problem of keeping it smog legal.

Tony
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

Progress! Front axle and coils are bolted in...

I lost a full day of bronco wrench time yesterday, but damn it was a beautiful day up at Bear Valley. I skied myself silly, got in a bunch of runs and it didn't get slushy until late afternoon. Spring skiing is the greatest. The only hitch all day was I got popped with a speeding ticket on Jack Tone Road east of Stockton early in the morning. "Exceeding 55mph". The radar detector will never be left at home again...

Now to get back on task... My D44 is finally supporting the front end of my Bronco, bolted to a set of WH 5.5 rockcrawler coils. After a few months I can finally push my Bronco around the side yard again. Now its time to unbolt the rear suspension, clean up the underside like I did up front, and install the new leafs out back. The end of the suspension project is finally in sight!
      Attached Files
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

God those pics bring back memories. If the hood on that thing was flat black it would be just like my Dad's first Bronco. The one that got me hooked 30+ years ago. Lookin good so far.
        Jeff
        Vacaville, Ca
        67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

God those pics bring back memories. If the hood on that thing was flat black it would be just like my Dad's first Bronco. The one that got me hooked 30+ years ago. Lookin good so far.
          Jeff

Thanks Jeff! The color will change one day but I couldn't be happier with my Bronco. The build progress has been slower than I'd like, but building it is half the fun. Now that the days are getting longer I may actually have some time to wrench on the thing.

Tony
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

I just ordered a CRAB CAGE!!!!

The suspension project is moving right along, I'll post more in a few days... 37 year old, rusted suspension bolts are no match for Aero Kroil, an impact wrench and a big cheater bar...

My new heads will be here before long, and the engine may just get a quick and dirty freshen-up job and get reinstalled. If I can stay on task I may just have this thing running this summer. Maybe.

Tony
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

This weekend I finished installing the new springs,etc but no shocks yet. I also took the hard top off so I can start doing some body work on it and fitted the new Crab Cage in place. Today was the first time since November that my Bronco has rolled out from behind my gate. It's finally clean again and starting to look like something.

My dad got a set of heads rebuilt for me and I'm starting to look a little more seriously at doing an engine soon (whether that means rebuilding mine or buying one already done) but I'm pretty thrilled that my truck looks like a vehicle again! Here are a few pictures.

I'm going to have to do something about those tires...

Tony
              Attached Files
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

Body work?? Where? That looks like it's pretty straight to me.

Lookin good!!

Jeff
                Vacaville, Ca
                67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

Body work?? Where? That looks like it's pretty straight to me.
                  Jeff

The top has some dings, and the surface that meets the bed rail is really bent in a few spots. Plus a peek under the headliner shows that there's been some cheap repairs done and possibly a fair amount of bondo. I don't plan to run the hard top on trails so I want to get it in good shape. Plus I am going to get rid of that roof rack and possibly put in side sliding windows like what James Duff sells. The body of my Bronco is pretty straight so painting it *should* not be too hard when the time comes for that. It does not have to be perfect but I do want to change the color. Thinking about Wimbledon White. One day anyway...

Tony
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

Tony,

Your rig is looking great. That crab cage is sweet. What size tires are you going to? Do you want to sell your roof rack? Let me know if you do.
                    Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                    I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Looks like the top had to come off just to get it in the garage, with some big tires it may not fit at all. Very nice bronco!
                      69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Without the roof rack and with the small tires I think can get the Bronco into the garage with the hard top on, but it will be close (maybe aired-down on the small tires) so they may be kept for storage purposes. I will probably be running 35" tires, maybe 36" but I don't think I'd go much bigger than that.
                        I am not too worried about the garage issue, I have an accessible side yard and I would not mind getting a cover for the Bronco for outdoor storage. Plus I've often thought of building a car port in my side yard eventually.

I am thrilled with the fit of the crab cage, it has surpassed my expectations. This nice weather has really lit the fire to get the Bronco running again, so we'll see.

720 - I don't want the roof rack so I would certainly consider selling it. It's not complete (missing the cross-bars) but I'm sure it would not be hard to custom-build a pair of bars if you really wanted to. PM me if you really want it, we may be able to work something out.

Tony
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

Looks awesome! Pretty soon you'll be able to take that tow bar off of the front! That will be a good day!

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68
                            Looks awesome! Pretty soon you'll be able to take that tow bar off of the front! That will be a good day!
                            Thanks! That will be a VERY good day!
                            That tow bar has got to go. The height difference between it and the hitch on my Z71 is probably over a foot. Initially I thought it would work so that I could drag the thing across town to get the interior line-x'd but I don't trust that setup for any more than moving the Bronco in and out of the garage. I really need to get serious about my engine soon, then things will really start coming together. Who knows of a good, reputable machine shop in Northern CA?

Tony
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

Look what I just ordered...

Well after probably too much thought into this matter I have decided on (and laid down the coin for) an engine. See the pic below. It's the Ford Racing Parts model M-6007-S58* crate engine which is a 351w that produces 250hp, 350ft-lbs torque.

I'm going to carb it to start out and maybe one day down the road do some sort of EFI. The TrickFlow upper/lower EFI intake looks mighty pretty... But with the spree I've been on I must refrain from the high-dollar purchases for a while.

Tony
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by CityHick; 03-23-2007, 07:21 PM.
                              1970 Bronco
                              My build thread

Comment

Very Nice!!! How long to get it?

Comment

Working...
                                X