The 79...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been a while...

Rewired this Landcruiser with an LS for a fellow Firefighter.

Did door seals and now doing the front carpet kit...
    Timing set R & R after the carpet
    Ordered the last of the AC components today, so AC will hopefully be in-service this Summer.
    Attached Files
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

A year later I got the front half of the carpet kit in.... Time for timing gears. (Well I had a video of the gear/chain slop, but but it says I'm not authorized to download it here) Let's just say I maxed out the life expectancy of the Factory Ford Aluminum cam gear with the nylon teeth at 92+K miles.

Sent my Harmonic balancer off to Damper Dudes to be rebuilt, it is challenging at times to find parts for the Yellow Sub. Already experienced Off-shore parts failures, Sad. (Fuel pump at 900 miles and Electronic voltage Reg at 1,200.)

Another anniversary of Mark Beck's passing, I believe it has been 13 years now. (he was a Salesman for Wild Horses)
      Attached Files

Comment

As you know I've experienced my share of early parts failures (several that were no good right out of the box). It's disheartening, and part of the reason I don't really venture too far in my rig anymore. How big of a box of spares is practical to carry? sigh... already carry an alternator when I go farther than say 30 miles, among other things.

Ordering from WH has not been the same since Mark's passing. I can still hear him say: "That'll be $100 plus $9 for Gov. Schwarzenegger"
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Almost forgot Mark's colorful commentary when making a Sale...

You can't let the fear of things taking a "Chit" stop you from adventuring out into the world Tony. People out there would kill to have a Bronco like yours. I agree that it is disappointing to have failures and how much is made off-shore now. (Not just with car parts) And the added cost of something made in the USA. At least we can fix it ourselves and not have to pay someone to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post

You can't let the fear of things taking a "Chit" stop you from adventuring out into the world Tony. People out there would kill to have a Bronco like yours. I agree that it is disappointing to have failures and how much is made off-shore now. (Not just with car parts) And the added cost of something made in the USA. At least we can fix it ourselves and not have to pay someone to do it.
            I agree with you, and I may have overstated my "range" concerns - but having come home on the back of a tow truck 5 or 6 times... it gets to me. The worst example was the wheel bearing failure which nearly resulted in a wheel coming off at speed on the highway. Had there been an oncoming vehicle in the other lane... I know that I would not be here typing this today (not to mention, the ex's kids would not have had a mother)... I will probably never fully get past that experience, but I digress. I like the way that Yellow Sub is coming along, it's a nice rig!
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Timing Gears done, had to drop the oil pan
              New motor mounts made dropping the pan a bitch... They have been modified now.
              Damper dudes came through with a rebuilt HB.
              New oil pan drain plug leaked, sooo on the rack it went and it looks like a Dorman steel gasket embossed with rubber fixed than.

AC components have been reinstalled, evac and refill with R134A scheduled for Wednesday. (Thanks Karl for the AC advise)
              Mixed bag on the company in Florida who provided the AC upgrade, 3 weeks to get product, poor communication, I made calls. One of their brackets did not fit, called, a day and a half later with no return call, I made my own bracket.

Working on installing a Cruise control. Had a new Speedo cable made with provisions for a Ford VSS so I have a signal rather than mounting magnets on on the driveshaft with a pickup nearby.

Planning a Road trip to Idaho in May
              Attached Files

Comment

I’m looking forward to see how your A/C system works.

Comment

Got in a day early at the AC shop yesterday... I have cold air now.

Cruise Control and new Captain's chairs showed up yesterday, Hopefully I can get both installed in the next few days. Pictures later......

Comment

Working...
                  X