No announcement yet.

The 79...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That bumper turned out SWEET Doug. Looks great.
    1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

Nice fab work as always
      68 Slightly modified
      67 LUBR once again
      61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Really like the way the bumper turned out Doug. Great job, along with all the other bits. Really coming along.

Comment

Thanks Mike.

I finished the Tuffy box install last night and the Winch is mounted and wired. (I make my own Batt cables now) Just need to load the new cable on the drum.
          Decided to do another 100 amp constant duty power relay on the main feed to the winch. Ramset sells the kit, available at Summit Racing. (I watched a YouTube video so many years ago about a melt down due to a stuck control box relay.)

I went with steel cable again due to: cost, and all my recovery gear is steel cable based. That, and my expected use will be minimal.

And what seems to be the standard these days, things don't fit out of the box... Re-drilled mounting holes on the roller fairlead.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 904Bronco; 07-21-2023, 06:41 AM.
          2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
          1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
          2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Yes, I am still getting some time to work on the Yellow Sub...

Decided to put a hitch on it, rather than incorporate something into the rear bumper. Curt hitch #15300. What a pain in the Butt, Will this fit a 79 Bronco with the option 33 gallon tank? Can't get an answer from their Tech department. Here are the tank measurements... Oh our measurements are proprietary, can't share them, no I asking you to take my measurements and check your drawings? Oh, we are not set up for that. What? How do you expect to sell a Product if you can't tell the Customer that it will fit? That was very Frustrating to say the least.

I went Through Napa, they are having a Sale, 5% off and no freight charges. My Counter guy was able to get a Corporate Tech guy who said it would fit and it did... Once I flattened the frame and welded up two holes.

Picked up a used combo Rad overflow / windshield wiper fluid tank in Idaho. Finally, got the brackets made to mount it up. Finishing up some smalls and then will get back on the bumper build.

Around the 1st of September the Sub goes to Cage Dave for some body work touch ups and his Bronco comes down here to get a fresh wiring harness... Never a dull moment for Bronco work
              Attached Files

Comment

Last installment was the hitch install, already walked into it once, didn't draw blood though...

Cut out the Cat, muffler and tailpipe. Old Cat was gutted, Installed new Cal cat and a Flowmaster 3 chamber muffler. Taking it to the muffler shop to bend up the new 2.5" tailpipe.
                I ended up dropping the y-pipe, getting fresh Exhaust manifold studs for the driver's side. Y-pipe had "chitty" welds on it that needed cleaned up and that was where my small exhaust leak had been hiding.

I was hoping to get the tail pipe done here in Town, but of the three shops; 1) the owner passed away earlier in the year, 2) I went there and attempted to set up an appointment (as they require) but they said can you just leave it? (No) Then bring it on Monday, when?, In the morning? Yeah. What time, when you open? Sure. Is that considered my appointment then? Yeah. How long will you need to do the job? A couple of hours. I see, Thanks. 3) I don't call him anymore, as in two weeks always means months...

I am so disappointed these days in some of the Vendors/workmanship I have to deal with, that I try to do all my own work... I think my Welding skills have gotten better since I bought my wire feed in 98. (On most things.)

Making a run to A1 Muffler in Salinas next week, Howard did a great job on the complete exhaust system on Betty.

Hope to do a Smog Test not for Cert, test only and see how close I am to passing... Or not...
                Attached Files
                Last edited by 904Bronco; 08-16-2023, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Well I tried to get the Bronco smoged, It passed every test except NOX at 15 and 25 mph.

I came home and started futzing with it, looks like the new EGR valve will not hold vacuum. So I will pull that off and get a new replacement one from NAPA. (It only has 33 miles on it)
                  Guess I will look over the vacuum lines again, and see if I can get Ace fuel to tune the carburetor... Sooo Close.

Anyone shopped around for car insurance lately? I decided to inquire around... Farmers, Hagerty, State Farm... No body can give you a quote over the phone it seems, they have to collect a bunch of information and then make you wait...
                  Attached Files

Comment

It passed today... Thanks to all my Mechanic buddies who chimed in with suggestions...
                    I will make the registration legal at the end of the month, when the previous year of Ownership comes to an end.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations Doug. Glad I haven’t had to deal with smog issues.

Comment

Originally posted by M_luther View Post
                        Congratulations Doug. Glad I haven’t had to deal with smog issues.
                        Thanks Mike, been a long road with this one... Well most Broncos these days need a lot of work...

Comment

And, Well Shit....

Went to AAA to take the Bronco off Non-Op, one year anniversary since I bought her. Smog-check, Insurance-Check, Nope.
                          Not the anniversary of my purchase, It is the anniversary of when it was originally placed on Non-Op, which is November 24th, 2007. Crap.
                          I could have registered her, if I wanted to pay all of the Reg fees for 2023 and then 2024, no pro-ration being that there is only two months left.

Some days, I wonder why I am still in this State... Anyone seen what Diesel is going for !!! Pondering my navel for the next move...
                          Last edited by 904Bronco; 09-23-2023, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Working on the rear bumper...

Attached Files

Comment

Rear Bumper is pretty much done, just need to reshape the top spacer piece that was there for the factory chrome bumper....

Picked up some tow hooks while I was in Idaho from a Superduty and F150, I need some tow points on the front bumper, more Fab coming.

Found where the oil leak was coming from, cork gaskets only last so long...
                              Attached Files

Comment

I had a chance to commune with Doug's now 5 speed-equipped yellow beast today. As much as I love my EB, unless you are crawling in tight quarters (I don't anymore), I was reminded of how nice the extra room and creature comforts of the second gen are if you are travelling. And Doug, what a nice job you've done on a clean, basic interior!
                                1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                                I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Working...
                                X