No announcement yet.

The 79...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my door parts from LMC and BGY are arriving today and tomorrow. around a week delivery as expected.
    I completely took apart the HVAC housing in the engine compartment to deal with the mouse remnants. Only way to get things clean. Cleaned it with purple cleaner and a sponge during the rain this week. Then went back and did spot cleaning the next day where I missed stuff.
    SJ Radiator gave the factory Heater core a once over and cleaning, so I am reusing it. Can't find a brass replacement or the foam sealing kit for the replacement.
    Evaporator, well going to have to replace it. It is a $$$ expense, but I was warned that I would never get the mouse piss smell out of it and it has be open to the elements a long time...
    Got internal metal parts soaking in Evap-o-rust, no kits to re-foam the Blend door like the EB's. I will have to be creative.
    Napa provided the replacement blower motor, but no one seems to have a new squirrel cage. So I scrubbed that and then soaked it in Evap-rust. I will paint it and it should be good.

Anyone else have a 78-79 Bronco or 73-79 F150 with factory air? I am trying to figure out what else I am missing for the AC. Mostly the lines, and valves, (Exp valve, orifice tube, hose routing, etc)

Skip you got AC on your truck?

And the rebuilt Instrument cluster... the Speedo was not working, so I shipped it back to the Vendor and UPS beat the Sh*t out of the box. Not sure how bad it is, but there is insurance, I know it will be a process, hopefully it will cover the damage repairs... Always something...
    Attached Files
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Just read the whole thread and looked at all the photos. Nice work, Doug, thanks for sharing!

Driving an ex-boss's nearly stock 78 Bronco over 20 years ago and realizing it handled better than my EB ever did in any condition is what started me down the path of all the suspension and steering adventures that I've had with mine ever since.

Do you think you'll be able to drive it to the WH Roundup next month?
      1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
      I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars View Post
        Just read the whole thread and looked at all the photos. Nice work, Doug, thanks for sharing!

Driving an ex-boss's nearly stock 78 Bronco over 20 years ago and realizing it handled better than my EB ever did in any condition is what started me down the path of all the suspension and steering adventures that I've had with mine ever since.

Do you think you'll be able to drive it to the WH Roundup next month?
        Lars, Regretfully no visit this year to the Round up with Yellow Sub. I have a number of parts on order... Still need to buy the Evaporator, prices seem to range from $599.95, to as low as $250 on some eBay sites. And I have all the parts cleaned up, but looking for a suitable foam for the blend door.

I needed just about an inch more deflection in the Radiator support to get the inner fender out, so I thought I would remove the front body mount bolt. It snapped off. Soaking that with de-rust... New Rad support mounts on order from BGY.
        Then it was "Hey I am in this far in"... 351-M/400 are known to get cracks in the pass exhaust manifold, so lets take a look. Yeap, it had a crack and it was leaking in #1 port. No gasket from the factory. Dorman makes a replacement manifold, not in stock anywhere. So do a search, Summit has 2 left in ATP brand, it arrived yesterday. Major sweat removing the Exh manifold bolts, brittle/old/original, but I got them all out. Ran a thread cleaner through all the threads and used anti-seize on reassembly. Castings on new manifold were a little rough, so get out the grinder and Dremel bit. Fresh #8 bolts and everything went back together. Another "Hey I am in this far", lets change the valve cover gaskets. Bought the high end rubber appearing Fel-Pro gaskets months ago, covers were relatively clean inside, and they used silicon to seal them previously. Another thing checked off the list. Just a clean and re-install, at some point in the future, I might consider pulling the motor and doing a rebuild/clean-up.
        And lets just toss in there that it is suddenly Spring in the south Bay so yard work has become a thing. Wife is on Spring break from school, so we are doing day trips and looking at her Honey do list. It all good, I will get back to the 79 shortly. Looking forward to driving it around this summer. And I think I am going to do my own exhaust this time...
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 904Bronco; 04-11-2023, 07:57 AM.

Comment

So before jetting off to the PNW to see my son, I got this done...

The old evaporator still smells like mouse piss...
          Attached Files

Comment

That looks awesome! Amazing how what starts out as a small project like the HVAC box snowballs into a HUGE pain in the ordeal.
            1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

Didn't have much luck finding 79 bronco parts in Idaho. A few 73-79 trucks that were well picked over. Did find other California contraband to bring home though

As soon as I get caught up in the yard, I will be back in the shop putting things back together.

Comment

I do love the look of the 1978-1979 ford trucks and broncos!
                Build thread

Comment

Okay,

Pulled and rebuilt the last portion of the Cab ducting. AC box/stuff is hooked up to the firewall.
                  New inner fender is installed, outer fender has been attached, hood hinge reattached and adjusted.
                  Wiring sorted, new Batt cables made. New Batt tray installed.
                  New Pass wheel well liner installed > (factory one is brittle and crumbles in my hand.) Pass side Rad support body mount replaced.
                  Drivers side Rad body mount yet to be done. Followed by the Drivers side wheel well liner needs replaced, same condition as the other side.
                  Clean and flush cooling system one more time, put coolant in. Pulling block drains too.
                  Going to install the Radio and Amp, complete the wiring. That will allow me to put the dash back together.
                  Finish putting back the doors now that everything is here...
                  Buy tires - 10.5 x 33 x 15 going to be $$$, Thinking BFG KO2?

I got plenty to do, will post pictures as I move along.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Drivers side Rad body mount is done. It was a bastard, just like the other side.

Drivers side wheel well liner replaced, same condition as the other side. Not as happy with the fit and finish on this side.

Clean and flush cooling system one more time, put coolant in. Pulling block drains too. Done, and I have heat in the cab now. Jeez, I think I have flushed this thing out like 10 times...

Installed the Radio and Amp, completed the wiring. Well I have tunes, but not quite finished with the install. Had to pull 12v power into the cab, So when a little big so I can power "other things" as well.

Dash, well the cluster came back from Classy Gauges and the speedo still doesn't work off the cable. Spun it over with a drill and no movement. guess i well pull it apart again... Narrowing down what it can be at least.

Going to order tires today, got the Astro Lube out...

Comment

Picked up something new yesterday for the Yellow Sub... More pictures coming
                      Attached Files

Comment

Oh yeah. That is going to look so good on there.
                        1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

33 x 10.5 x 15 BFG KO2

Radio 96% done and I went to button up the dash... and the cable broke for the blend door at the controls... Chit! Too much manipulation, I guess, with getting the radio sized up to fit the factory holes. One of those Resto radios that has 100 adjustment possibilities...
                          Order to Dennis Carpenter sent last night, that will Take a week to get here. Bah!
                          Replaced the speedo cable and all is good now with that.
                          Guess I will get back to the doors and make (cut out) the vapor barriers. Then reassemble
                          Then there is always clean the shop and sort out the take-off parts for their value and just throwing stuff away, which has become easier as of late.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by 904Bronco; 05-11-2023, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Finished the doors up over the weekend... No confirmation from Dennis Carpenter on my order yet, may not see it until next weekend?

Removed the aluminum trim from the old door card, cleaned it up some, and remounted it on the new door card. Wasn't happy with the replacement arm rests, so they will go back. Cleaned up the originals and they actually match better than the replacements. Aftermarket parts still leave something to be desired on Gen2 parts.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Coming along nicely Doug. Love the wheel and tire choice. Wish you were bringing her to the roundup this weekend. Hopefully we will still see you there. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by M_luther View Post
                                Coming along nicely Doug. Love the wheel and tire choice. Wish you were bringing her to the roundup this weekend. Hopefully we will still see you there. Mike
                                I will be there in the morning without a Bronco, Catching a ride with Bronken... Feel free to ping me on my phone Mike. Next year I should be able to drive the 79 there. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X