The 79...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post

Thanks GnD... My previous 79, 30+ years ago, started my Bronco sickness... Wishing I still had it, many great memories and Road trips in it.
    That is hands down the best paint job Ford ever did. So go that Traxxas made their scale RC Bronco with the same color scheme.

1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

Working on it... Scrubbing, wire wheeling, and soon to be painting I hope...
      Attached Files
      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

So I called my local Machinist and asked if he could swap some ball joints out for me on the D44 knuckles. Now I have used this guy for 30 years, and I got some long story about how difficult it could be, need for heat and cold... More yada, yada than I cared to hear. So then I have to ask if he wanted to do the job, and he replied that they are so busy... and he doesn't know when they could work it in... Okay Thanks for the honesty. Not too many options around here for other places to get the work done.

Having never done the work myself, I asked a few Bronco buddies if they had done it? I heard about the primitive days when everything was done with a hammer, I was asked why I haven't invested in a Press? Finally, Bronken loaned me his ball joint tool. I ordered Moog ball joints from Summit...

I looked at a few directions online from Moog, scanned the Ford service manual, and one or two You Tube Videos. I then did the work myself. That seemed pretty easy. And I had full control of the quality of the work

Having a press would be good, as well as a Blast Cabinet. But I don't have the space to store them, I also wonder how many more Bronco projects I am going to do?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 904Bronco; 03-07-2023, 06:36 AM.

Comment

I replaced my ball joints with a press many years ago, its not so bad. I think the ball joint tool is the easier approach though.

I may have mentioned that my knuckles at some point were drilled and tapped for bolts where the spindle studs should go. Since learning that the spindles are supposed to be held on by pressed-in studs it's been in the back of my mind to locate a new set of knuckles for my front end. I don't see this as a high priority thing, but it seems whenever I take the front end apart for any reason, I end up heli-coiling another spindle bolt hole. I'd rather put it back to the way it's supposed to work, instead of a previous owner's interpretation of what is okay.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

I was always intimidated by changing ball joints. That ball joint press sure made it easy that's for sure and it's paid for itself over and over again.

Great progress and CLEAN as always.
            1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

Not really motivated to work on it since I cancelled my trip to Idaho for the 50th Boise Roadster show.
              I was driving and well, the weather report/snow in the Serra's was not conducive to being on the road... Coming back would have been a b*tch with the snow coming from a week of rain that is hitting us now.

I did spent a few hours on it yesterday, starting to reassemble the front end. I cleaned and painted a lot of components...

Attached Files

Comment

That ball joint press is a great tool to carry on the trail.
                IIRC when Rick ripped his PS box off the frame, he used one to clamp the box to the frame to get him off the trail.
                {o===o}
                Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                Originally posted by CityHick
                I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I appreciate the positive comments Gents...

Been a lot more storm clean up than Bronco work as of late. Waiting on a Warn hub rebuild kit that WH's ordered from Warn 2 weeks ago.
                  Just did a measurement on the shocks needed, they are on the way as well.

Being I had all this free time at home with the weather changing my travel plans, I got the front end almost fully assembled.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by 904Bronco; 03-16-2023, 06:11 AM. Reason: Reason for Editing, well the Site is acting up again...

Comment

Sunday I got the brakes bleed with the help of my son who was on Spring break. I drove it to the gas station just to do a test run... Brakes work great, NP435 is noisy in 3rd, needs an alignment, and I couldn't roll down the Drivers window. (Felts are wasted/missing) So yesterdays project was to rebuild/lube/make adjustments on the Drivers door. The stuff you find! > Speakers wires twisted together with silicon sealer on that? A yellow plastic ball inside the door, with a McDonalds logo in it? Thinking it is from their play house ball pits?

All new felts in the window channels, had to chip most of old felts out. Glass is scratched, but will do for now. The door panel is done, one clip/window crank/door open handle was really the only things holding it in place. New speaker and redid the wiring harness to it. Noticed the parking brake assembly was cracked in the same place as the Early Broncos, the single bolt to the lower dash. So I took that out to weld up today. Couple of pictures below...

The Site seems happier today, no issues posting.
                    Attached Files

Comment

hahaha That is some quality speaker wiring right there. Never seen that before.

Comment

The 79 has a name.... Yellow Sub

A couple more pictures... The ball I found in the Pass door and P-brake assembly is all better!

Started in on the Passenger door overhaul.

And my newly rebuilt Instrument cluster is going back to the Vendor as speedo is not registering anything. Cable is turning. Always something, it seems...

Any Many Thanks to Patrick Deming, he recently provided me a few more AC parts from his old 79 Bronco to get me closer to having working AC!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by 904Bronco; 03-23-2023, 07:42 PM.

Comment

I'm going to guess that the McDonald's ball was used in an attempt to get rid of a rattle inside of the door at some point...
                          Random side-comment. I remember doing all kinds of stupid things with those McDonald's balls 30 years ago in HS. They became antenna balls, hitch covers, tossed between cars while at stop lights, etc. Never used one to fix rattles in any of my rattle trap cars though!

This thread is kind of fun because it is different than our usual 66-77 stuff. Bummer about the non-functional speedo, hopefully that gets addressed without too many hassles.
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

Oh the things we used to do in our youth Tony...
                            Glad you and others, are enjoying the non traditional Bronco stuff.
                            Speedo and Cable got shipped off to the Vendor, hopefully I will have answers mid week, next week?

As I may have previously stated, getting parts for a Gen2 is not as fun as ordering from WH's, although I do try to give them the business whenever possible.
                            I have door panels on order from LMC, they have acknowledged my order, but their follow up is slow. (Which is stated on their website that things are taking longer)
                            Something similar with Bronco Graveyard, I need to order some parts on Monday. But I know I will not see them until the following week.

So moving on to another project is to replace the inner apron fender/battery box on the Pass side that was eaten by lead acid batteries. While I am doing that, I need to remove the AC box and change out the blower motor... Some major disassembly is going to happen. So far, things are coming apart pretty easy, nothing like trying to take apart 66-77 bodies where bolts lock up and J-hook fender bolts spin and destroy metal panels. I know I just Jinxed myself... A couple of teaser pictures.
                            Attached Files

Comment

The yellow sub is looking great and as an AC/refrigeration guy. I find that AC is a must. I have installed AC in my 67. And have parts for the 74 that I am accumulating parts for. I will start on it once I get the solar done on my house. Oh the projects.

Comment

Well I am in it now... I know why the blower motor is dead... I have a lot of cleaning to do to put this thing back together... Not to mention parts that I may have to make.

Front Rad support body mount bolt broke, but everything else has come apart okay. Mouse nest #5 has been found. Enjoy my adventure.../... Mess
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X