X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CityHick View Post

This idea is dead. I am bummed.

I finally got the seats here to my house and I've been playing around with them for a few days. All of the power adjustments work and the seats are dang comfy. The only problem is, despite the fact that the seat surface measures basically the same height off the floor as my PRP seats, the PRP seats being a "suspension seat" have more give to them, and that's why my 6'3" frame fits on them in my bronco so well. The BMW seats do not settle enough under my weight. As a result, my eyes are above the top of the windshield glass, and my head touches the bottom of the bikini top... which also means that my head is far too close to the roll cage while seated in the BMW seats. I guess I get to try to sell them now... dang.

I was really looking forward to having a modern, comfortable, adjustable seat in my rig, and to also have an OEM, tested, proven seatbelt system instead of the aftermarket seatbelts that I currently have. I am sure that the aftermarket belts are adequate, but I'm sort of anti-aftermarket anymore.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board!
    This is why some people lower the front floor area so that they can get the extra room to lower the seat mounts.

Comment

• Originally posted by helbnd1 View Post

This is why some people lower the front floor area so that they can get the extra room to lower the seat mounts.
      Yeah I've seen that a time or two. Not really looking to cut up and redo it at this time. Maybe if I were starting with a clean slate that wasn't sprayed with bedliner inside, etc.
      Last edited by CityHick; 08-26-2022, 05:13 AM.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

• Look at Mastercraft Baja reclining seats.

They sit low and recline.
        {o===o}
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
        Originally posted by CityHick
        I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

• Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
          Look at Mastercraft Baja reclining seats.

They sit low and recline.
          You can come sit in mine. I got rid of the sliders and built my own frame as low as possible tied to the cage. I still would like to be lower but it’s not bad.
          Last edited by NorcalKD; 08-27-2022, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorcalKD View Post

You can come sit in mine. I got rid of the sliders and built my own frame as low as possible tied to the cage. I still would like to be lower but it’s not bad.
            I like those seats quite a bit. They are probably what I will end up with. I want to retain the sliders though. I am not in any rush to make this change, so I am still looking around for other options as well. Thanks both of you for the input.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

• Originally posted by CityHick View Post

I like those seats quite a bit. They are probably what I will end up with. I want to retain the sliders though. I am not in any rush to make this change, so I am still looking around for other options as well. Thanks both of you for the input.
              You should go down to KOH in Feb and go to the PRP booth. They have all of their seats set up so you can actually sit in every one of them. They have everything from daily driver seats to full race seats. Adjustable, non-adjustable. Slides or solid mount. I ended up with a pair that was kinda in the middle. I wanted "some" side bolstering to hold me in the seat, but not so extreme that it made them difficult to get get in and out of. Being there at their booth was a perfect way to try them all.

Comment

• Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post

You should go down to KOH in Feb and go to the PRP booth. They have all of their seats set up so you can actually sit in every one of them. They have everything from daily driver seats to full race seats. Adjustable, non-adjustable. Slides or solid mount. I ended up with a pair that was kinda in the middle. I wanted "some" side bolstering to hold me in the seat, but not so extreme that it made them difficult to get get in and out of. Being there at their booth was a perfect way to try them all.
                I actually called PRP the other day and spoke to one of their sales reps at length about their seats. Told her what I currently have and asked about height differences. She put me on hold and went out and took a bunch of measurements comparing my seat height to the various options that they sell. Their daily driver seats are higher than what I have, so they're not likely going to work. I agree with you that "some" support/bolstering is good but the high bolsters that I currently have are a little bit silly. They look cool but on a day to day basis they are a little obnoxious.

I'd love to get down to KOH and I should make that happen though, regardless of PRP seats working or not working for me!
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

• When I built my roll cage I debated if I needed sliders or not. I ended up ditching the sliders and mounting the seats where I want them. Even when I had sliders I never use them.

nobody ever drives my Bronco but me.
                  {o===o}
                  EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

When I built my roll cage I debated if I needed sliders or not. I ended up ditching the sliders and mounting the seats where I want them. Even when I had sliders I never use them.

nobody ever drives my Bronco but me.
                    I get that and I've thought a lot about that as well. With my current PRP seats the sliders add only minimal height, less than 1/2" so it's been worth it to me to keep the sliders. Not to mention I do let others drive my bronco on occasion, most of whom are considerably shorter than I am. lol.

I may be able to switch the bases on my BMW seats to manual sliders and retain the rest of the power adjustments. I think that might make them usable. It's an option that I need to investigate further as well.
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

• Are your seats mounted to your cage or the floor?
                      {o===o}

Comment

Are your seats mounted to your cage or the floor?
                        Mine fronts are mounted to the cage and the rear bench is mounted through body floor to aircraft L track.

Comment

Are your seats mounted to your cage or the floor?
                          Sort of both. When I got my cage 16 years ago I decided that it needed to be taller so I spaced it up an inch or so, and as a part of that I built a seat mount of sorts, with flat stock that runs across the floor. The seats bolt through that and through the floor. I've considered modifying the seat mount section such that the seat could be bolted in several different positions but that seems like a real pain in the ass...
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

• Mine are bolted to the floor. I do plan some bigger 1/8” plates underneath. Put some cheap Amazon seat covers to cover the cigarette burn.
                            Last edited by PhantomEB; 09-03-2022, 04:28 AM.

Comment

• I've been on one hell of a roller coaster ride this week. Work stress like I've never encountered before. I am working through this and I am okay, but dang I've got some turbulent waters ahead.

With my head more clear today, my thoughts have shifted towards trips I can take in my Bronco next year. If anybody has any interesting trip ideas I'm all ears. I am not all that interested in rock crawling anymore, but some kind of on-off road trip spanning a few days is what I'm after. I tend to enjoy the coast now more than the mountains, and perhaps a few days going through the Lost Coast would be an idea. I'm also interested in exploring the eastern sierra - Bodie, Mammoth, etc.

If anybody has interest in putting a group trip together let's brainstorm this idea in the coming months.
                              1970 Bronco
                              My build thread

Comment

• You got this, dude!

I also got some work news a few weeks ago about the contractor I work for will no longer be providing their services to the plant. I am sure we all will be offered to continue working at the plant under a new contractor. I am also prepared to go back on the road, thus why I am hell bent to get the bronco up and running. Either way work goes come April 1st, I want to plan my down time as able to enjoy the fruitition of my work.

Comment

Working...
                                X