No announcement yet.

Suspension Basics II, Real Deal Stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension Basics II, Real Deal Stuff!

The last one of these got alot of interest so here is another, this one isn't really the second level, actually we are getting into the advanced area on some of these Brackets......as my competitor likes to say, bombs away!

Antiwrap/Traction Bar Brackets......A new twist on an old theory. The old theory being that they should be more or less vertical in use, Wrong! They can be vertical but the only thing that really matters is the seperation between points. No matter where you mount the ends you are still holding the traction bar fixed around a central point (the axle center), so this System allows for the old way of mounting nearly vertical OR allows you to lay back the bracket for the all important clearance issue while adding rigidity to the Traction Bar ends which are constantly trying to move closer to each other. We go the additional step for you by making the basic plates 3/8" thick. The optional side plates are 1/4" thick and are recomended whether you lay back or run vertical, the stiffness they add is unbeatable. These are the Brackets only, You need to determine just how long your traction bar needs to be, we can't do that for you, it is going to be different on every setup. We sell these as Main plates only, Main and Stiffeners, and complete with 2" x 1/4" wall DOM, bushings, sleeves and bolts.

Pretty simple setup, just approached from a new direction!

Inner Frame Link Brackets.......This has been a problem area for everyone forever, We have the solution. And this solution will work for everyone from the big Dollar Rock Racer to the normal guy building his first linked suspension. These are made to stay made out of 3/8" A50 Plate bent 3 ways. They will fit every joint from an EVO (in the pic, w/out Hi-Miss spacers) on down, they are drilled for a 9/16" hole so you can fit them to what you are using and the are adjustable so you can fit whatever joint and missalignment you want before you weld them to the final width. These are available in a 0 degree, 10 degree(shown), and a 22 degree angle. Of course, a little time with a grinder can fine tune them to what you want. Take a look and you decide.

Chassis Link Brackets and Tabs.......These Brackets and Tabs are for when you can't go inside or outside the frame to get the links out of the target area. We have been making these for quite some time now and are very satisfied with them. Simply put, they work! the Bracket comes with a ramp for helping slide over the rocks and isn't so abrupt that you hang up anyway. The Tabs, and I hate calling anything 3/8" of an inch thick that weighs almost a pound a "tab", are made to take a beating in those places you can't use the bracket (lots of people use these as Panhard mounts too).

Anyway, you can see we don't mess around when it comes to making the kind of stuff you want on your rig and sometimes a new approach is the right approach! And remember that the NCB10 discount is good on everything we make, 10% off dosen't suck.....
    Dan Fredrickson
    www.ruffstuffspecialties.com
    Your Fabrication Parts Source

Nice looking stuff! When I do my rear 4-link, I'll hit you up for the parts. Thanks for posting and the discount!

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind starting to gather up the pieces now and then I'll probably start building it this winter. Do you carry all of the parts that I need to build a rear 4-link system?

Comment

I bet if we posted up a basic step by step tech article and the parts needed to 4 link the front and rear you'd sell a ton of those parts...
      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

I would be interested.

Comment

Can you give me the dimensions of your anti wrap brackets? Oh, and a price? Thanks.

Comment

Gravel Maker,

Do you have a store front? I'd like to look over some of your brackets in person, and pick up a few things?

Galen
            Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
            I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Sorry for the delay in responding to these.....

Let me try and answer these questions

I would love to do a Bronco link up, I would provide all the Link Bracket parts, Coil Suspension stuff, perhaps a Diff cover, Truss, whatever is needed to make it right, we would likely develope some new parts from it. I would need someone that is planning on doing this in the very near future and they can choose the joints they need, I cannot afford to provide those! We would need a space to work on it, our shop is overflowing on the same kind of thing right now and for the near future.......

The Anti Wrap bracket is set up with 8" centers and is actually designed for the bottom to be horizontal to the axle center, it can be used in the traditional way too.....The side plate Stiffeners are cut to hold 2" x .25" wall DOM exactly 8" on center to eliminate the early wear of bushings and maintain the correct distance between the individual ends which try to move together under acceleration.....

We do not have a retail location, we have a wharehouse and shop in Grass Valley but sell through the phone or online, the reason we don't have a store is that we do a very large wholesale business and do not wish to compete on that level with our other customers.....However, to many people that sounds strange, we are competing, but we only retail because they asked me to sell for the name recognition of the big guys. We advertise quite a bit now and they really just want people to walk in their shop and ask for Ruffstuff.

On another note, I had an good question from IH8MUD I thought I would share

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Mace
              Dan, Can you give me the dimensions on these (PM will be fine) I want to know if they will work with the existing link location in the front of my rig. I love the way you designed these.

That and if they will fit with RE joints

No need for a PM Mace, I keep no secrets!

The first possible point of contact is 1.7" from link pin centerline, and if something larger than a JJ or EVO link comes out the material is 3/8" thick so additional clearance can be made. We used Summit can joints and EVO Big joints to assure fit of anything.

The clearance laterally to the frame is 3.2" for the 10 & 22 Degree Brackets and 3.5" for the 0 degree, this is from the inside bracket face, where your missalignment would begin. This can also be made larger by trimming the tail of the adjustable part for as much as you want. The 0 degree bracket has more due to the need for space for a nut. This clearance is prior to you setting the width you desired for Your Particular joint, you are not locked into a particular width! They come with a 2" x 3/16" "washer" so you can drill a hole for clearance of the bolt and then reinforce the hole! All of the holes are 9/16" as a starting point.

To install them, set-up your missalignment and joint in the bracket, bolt them in, weld the adjustable end, drill a hole if neccessary in the frame and install reinforcement, then weld on the bracket! Pretty simple.

Thanks for asking Mace, I should have made it more clear at the start.

Dan Fredrickson

Comment

I would really like to volunteer for the R&D to do a 4-link rear set up in my Bronco, but I live in Fresno. I would drive it up to your location but then we wouldn't have a place to work on it. It might be more practical for one of the guys that are local to you to do it.

Unless you want to take little drive to Fresno. I've got a 3 car garage we could work in.

Comment

Patrick,

I'm about 15 minutes from Grass Valley, and I'm sure we could make room in the shop, but it would be a long commute for you to work, Maybe I should just sell my national 5 1/2" leafs, and volunteer project 720?

Galen
                  Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                  I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Actually no.....I still drive through Auburn daily.....

I have ben too busy to move to near the shop and wharehouse, I still live in Folsom.....
                    Dan Fredrickson

Comment

Originally posted by 720Racer
                      Patrick,

I'm about 15 minutes from Grass Valley, and I'm sure we could make room in the shop, but it would be a long commute for you to work, Maybe I should just sell my national 5 1/2" leafs, and volunteer project 720?

Galen

Hey Galen that would be awesome! Gravel Maker, how long would guess this that this process would take? I wouldn't mind making the drive up there.

Comment

It really shouldn't take but a couple of days.....

Originally posted by crawlin68
                        Hey Galen that would be awesome! Gravel Maker, how long would guess this that this process would take? I wouldn't mind making the drive up there.
                        After the math is done, and that is very subjective......
                        Dan Fredrickson

Comment

LOL, yeah no kidding huh. I know it takes a lot of trial and error on placement of the links and length of the links too. I would more than likely be using the Evolution joints. I like them for their beef, rebuildablity and adjustability. When were thinking of doing this? If Galen can make some room in his shop for us, I'm game for it. Just let me know when.

Originally posted by Gravel Maker
                          After the math is done, and that is very subjective......

Comment

I have ben too busy to move to near the shop and wharehouse, I still live in Folsom.....
                            -Hey Gravel Maker I am right down the road. Could I come by and check out your brackets in Folsom? And not to steal 68Crawling idea but setting up that 4-link could be fun and I am probably 10 minutes from where you live. I am in EDH.

-Hey Crawling if you do come up I would like to swing by and check out what you are doing at Galen's. I think a 4-link will be in the future, just not sure when??

Thanks FM
                            Last edited by Familyman; 08-22-2006, 02:37 PM.
                            72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                            1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

I usually have some in the truck......

But I don't keep any at home, or I never would stop working.......Its the only way I can hold myself back.......

BTW, just whos' truck are we talking about here? I like Evo joints too but buying them hurts and I know they don't make much off them either, just expensive to make.....
                              Dan Fredrickson

Comment

Working...
                              X