Mark's 71 BKO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

other way around.
    The higher the AS number, the more the rear end stands up and pushes downward on the rear tires.
    To high of number leads to bad hopping.
    To low of number the rear squats down to the bump stops.
    There is no magic number, I have seen from 20% to 190%.
    Really you just play and move stuff around until you find where you like it.
    Some moon buggies run insane low numbers so they squat down on the bumpstops and pin the gas to make a climb.

I dunno, I don't belive much of the math or theroys behind AS.
    You just change your numbers to fit your driving style and rig.
    I ran low numbers because mine is a few years old. Today I see many running from 80-110 and that seems to be the best area for a trail rig.
    Figure I would try it, its only metal
    Mark Harris
    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Yeah, we are saying the same thing. At 100% AS the rear end doesn't squat or raise up. Aything below 100% and the rear end starts to squat upon acceleration. The lower your percentage, the more squat you get.

So by raising your percentage of AS, you are wanting to reduce the amount of squat you're getting, right?
      Last edited by crawlin68; 08-21-2007, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I had mine setup at 96% (assuming my guess at center of gravity is correct) and I was getting the bounce when climbing ledges, I didn't notice any lift under load. I raised the upper frame mounts 1" and haven't experienced the dreaded hopp again, but I haven't tried to climb the ledges that caused it before. I will soon.
        69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

I did the same starter swap, and it is amazing the difference. I think I paid over 100 at Napa when I did mine, but it was worth it.
          Marc D.
          If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Please stop talking about how great these starters are, I'm trying not to buy one yet
            Last edited by highlander; 08-21-2007, 06:56 PM.
            69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Once you get one you will be kicking yourself for not knowing about this since 1993 when this starter came out. I know I am.
              Marc D.
              If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

.....I moved my rear upper links around to increase some of my Antisquat and lose some rear steer.
                I was running 55% AS with 1% rear steer. I changed it to 80% AS, still having 1 % rear steer.
                I jumped to 98% AS and 0% rear steer.....
                Did you drive it at 80%? Have you driven it at 98%? Impressions?

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68
                  Yeah, we are saying the same thing. At 100% AS the rear end doesn't squat or raise up. Aything below 100% and the rear end starts to squat upon acceleration. The lower your percentage, the more squat you get.

So by raising your percentage of AS, you are wanting to reduce the amount of squat you're getting, right?
                  Ok, I see now.
                  But pretty much anything over 70% jacks. Thats was why I was not understanding

I never drove it @ 80%. I really just did not like the mounts were they were wanted to re re do them.
                  This week I have been cutting up my headers and need to do the exhaust before Labor day.
                  Then I can hit up con and see the changes.
                  Mark Harris

Comment

My T-case is clocked flat now, what a PITA.
                    The rail guards fit awesome though!
                    I also glass'ed them into the inserts because my inserts were pretty trashed, and these would help save them.
                    Also after clocking my t-case I had to re do all my shifters.
                    I started mocking links up to move and redo all my links to get a total flat belly but I have been working non stop at work
                    Attached Files
                    Mark Harris

Comment

Looks sweet Mark!
                      68 Slightly modified
                      67 LUBR once again
                      61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Man I do need some of those BC corner protectors to go with the Rail protectors.
                        Looks real good.
                        1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Nice work Mark. So how did you clock up the D-20? Did you make a home clocking ring oe just redrill the holes?

Comment

Not a "hole" lot new.
                            Re did my links, new uppers and new lowers. Really wanted to do the lowers to fix the bracket I made a long time ago. Also took it up to move the axle back another 3 inches, and limit up travel a little.

I need to redo the front link brackets now. They will be a lot shorter then before (I always hated how my link ends were so close together, just a looks thing). I am Going to use links that are bent down so I can mount them higher up in the frame.
                            Also note my T-case is clocked flat with the frame.
                            I had to make a maze of the Fuel fill hose to get it to fit. I wanted to bring it into the cab, but I take my dogs with me, and the puppy would chew on it. I also went nuts and have to make another wheel housing as well. Eh, it always rubbed there anyway.

Last edited by welndmn; 12-05-2007, 06:07 AM.
                            Mark Harris

Comment

Do you have any issues with filling the tank because of the way the hose dips lower than the tank fill at one point or have you tried to fill it yet. After re routing my fill neck I found I had a slight uphill flow after the 90* bend going into the tank. I'm going to fix it if I have to but don't want to do the x-tra work if I don't.
                              1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

No issues.
                                Mine has been funky for years, and never had a problem.
                                Sure sometimes it would click off, but ever since I bought it back in 95 it did that.

Whats funny is how much my pictures suck. As I move into more and more innovative tech with my job, I start to care less about my personal stuff. Sad.
                                When I was only doing tech support, I loved figuring out new stuff at work and the playing with it at home. Maybe its the 14 hour days..........
                                Mark Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X