This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rubicon 09 Aftermath

Grea trip! glad to meet everybody, lots of bronco's One mean headache on friday and lots of dust for the ride in and out. I must have just missed you guys that left yesterday afternoon,I went to the little sluice and came back to ellis and everybody was gone. I packed up and headed out .Loaded up the trailer and headed down the hill. Dave
    Last edited by twister01; 09-13-2009, 12:52 PM.
    73 bronco 351,nv4500,stk3spd,4.88,hp60f&r,detroit,arb,o/b air,welder,etc.
    77,351 mass air efi ,nv4500 atlas 3.8 4.88,detroit31 spline,arb44 o/b air5.5 lift etc.
    70 4.5 lift 351 c-4 d20 big bearing in progress.

Comment

I just got back and had a good time. Dave thanks again for letting me use your welder and grinder to cobble my link mount back together. When we left from buck yesterday I rammed into my brothers rig hard at the split between the bypass and old sluice. Apparently when I went to push the clutch in the all thread shaft on the wilwood slave cyl. sheered. Had to drive all the way back to ellis and them to loon today without a clutch....wasn't to bad. I'm getting alittle better at powershifting. Blew a seal on the 205, broke the driverside motor mount and tweeked a swaybar bracket.

The weakest part is when I got to the trailer some limp dicks parked there tow rigs and trailers either behind me our obstructing any easy exit from where I was in the spillway. I had to make a 20 point u turn and use a high lift to slide the trailer over to fit through a space barely inches wider than the trailer itself.
      Last edited by bent70; 09-13-2009, 02:12 PM.
      70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

Just got back myself. Darrin and I broke pretty early on Friday wheeling in with Dave and Steve. Also met Mark I believe? ( had two kayaks with him)
        Super nice guy barely even met him and he was helping out with the repairs and clean up. Great sense of humor also. Had a great time overall Darrin just got sold the wrong PS hose material and had two failures. He will get it fixed quik and be ready for an end of the year run. We ended up having to bypass the power steering and hydro-boost and limping her out. Made the best of it and ended up camping at Loon Lake for the rest of the weekend, fishing and BSing with other wheelers. Looking foward to the next one. Next year should be even better 30 rigs mabey!! Good times!
        71'Bronco 5.8efi, ZF5, Atlas 5:1, ARB 44,CTM,s & Warns, Stage 8, 9" 4.88 detroit, disc, 31 spline Dutchmans, 1350 yoke, Duff arms WH coils, Deaver rear "Full ground up in the works"

05 Dodge CTD 4x4 6spd
        "everyone elses tow rig for the time being"

Comment

KK6DAD
          70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by wcoast4x View Post
            Just got back myself. Darrin and I broke pretty early on Friday wheeling in with Dave and Steve. Also met Mark I believe? ( had two kayaks with him)
            Super nice guy barely even met him and he was helping out with the repairs and clean up. Great sense of humor also. Had a great time overall Darrin just got sold the wrong PS hose material and had two failures. He will get it fixed quik and be ready for an end of the year run. We ended up having to bypass the power steering and hydro-boost and limping her out. Made the best of it and ended up camping at Loon Lake for the rest of the weekend, fishing and BSing with other wheelers. Looking foward to the next one. Next year should be even better 30 rigs mabey!! Good times!
            Darrins rig looks really nice and capable!! That sucks he was sold some bad stuff, hope it was just the wrong tubing.. End of the year run sounds good..

Here is Marc.. "BC" Before Carnage...

Aaron
            Last edited by Daddy4zack; 09-13-2009, 03:36 PM.
            KK6DAD
            70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Thanks for the "BC" pick Aaron. I will get an "AC" pic tomorrow. As to what happened in the Box, I was going to take the bypass to the left where everyone was, and then for some reason I went straight into the box. Thought I picked a good line, broke an axle, and at the same time, I knocked the outter knuckle off of the ball joints. Utilized four winches, (not wenches) a bottle jack, a three pound sledge, and carpenter that could swing a hammer, Got it back together, and they drug me backwards out of the box in three wheel drive. Once again the box kicked my ass. Oh yeah, thanks Rick for bandaging up my finger. Hurts to type, but it is looking good.
              Last edited by earlybronco72; 09-13-2009, 07:33 PM.
              Marc D.
              If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

What a great trip, so whats the dates for next year? I'm so ready. It was good to see old friends and make new ones. No carnage for my Son or I, and want to thank Marc for the show at the Box, I would have paid to watch it, also thanks to Pat for the dash sticker, it was very thoughtful. Hope everyone made it home OK.

Comment

Just got back a little while ago myself. No problems to speak of here other than the vapor-locking problem I told most of you about that had me stuck for a while on the gatekeeper on the way in.

After getting off to a later than planned start after my brake problems were solved late Thursday night, I rolled up to Loon on Friday, getting in to Ellis Creek Friday afternoon. After deciding there was too much traffic to contend with, a few of us decided to beat the traffic out and wheel back out to Loon on Saturday afternoon. Ryan, my dad, and I camped at Loon expecting to find Rick and later be joined by Spaceburger and his son but never did see them.

I wanted to go farther into the trail but I just don't like wheeling with that much traffic around. Maybe I'm just a rookie.

A bear cruised through our camp early this morning. That unmistakable sound of heavy footsteps and a little snarl is a little un-nerving while still in the tent just as the sun was coming up. Fortunately he kept cruising through and didn't do any damage to anything or anybody.

Anyway here are a few pictures. Didn't get anywhere near as many as I wanted, but there's always next time.... I can't wait!

-Tony
                  Attached Files
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

Damn Army bull$h!t, now i really wish i could of made it.
                    72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Cant wait to see the box video. Great time guys!
                      68 Slightly modified
                      67 LUBR once again
                      61 Willy Wagon

Comment

So Marc...did the kayaks survive the box?

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

Great pics guys!
                          I am shocked there was so much of a turn out!
                          I sure would like to wheel with most of you and put some names to some faces.
                          Mark Harris
                          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by PDXBronco View Post
                            So Marc...did the kayaks survive the box?
                            Just about the only thing on his rig that did
                            68 Slightly modified
                            67 LUBR once again
                            61 Willy Wagon

Comment

What a fantastic trip. My sister and I had a great time meeting new people and hanging with old friends. The wheeling was great and the people were great! My sis had fun driving on Friday. I let her drive for "a little while" and she wouldn't let me drive the rest of the day! Here are some of my pics. I've got a ton more that I'll post later.
                              Attached Files

Comment

My only regret about the whole trip was not doing more wheeling than what I did... the traffic and my vapor locking problem were the two biggest inhibitors to me going in farther. I did not want to get in farther and have bigger problems or get stuck behind untold numbers of rigs trying to get out on Sunday.

I really want to go back on a mid-week trip with a good group of rigs, I think we need to plan a 'con run midweek next summer - maybe a wed-thu-friday run so folks can hang out for the rest of that weekend if they desire.

I enjoyed hanging out with everybody in camp and had a good time doing the small amount of wheeling I did.
                                1970 Bronco
                                My build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X