testing turns into thrashing !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agony continues

Well was under my rig last week checking bolts (to darn hot to do anything else) and I found that my tie rod had cracked at the weld in bung and begun to bend. Really pissed me off because it was done by the same guy that put the front end in was suppose to be "all that custom builder" and really did a poor job. (It was never cycled after it was finished and the trac bar hit the pumpkin-redo and the way he fabbed in the mount on the axle for the trac bar made it so you couldn't dissasemble the psg side of the axle -redo) Needless to say i thank him now because he pushed me into doing everything myself !!

Well the fracture was clean at the tube and his weld (like it never penetrated) so I ground it out and rewelded it then sleeved it with some .120 wall tube to ensure it stays together. EB ready right -------------- NOT

I am under it last night cause I am going to drive it to work as a shakedown run before our family trip to Shaver Lake and there at the bottom end of the radius arm as it comes up to the axle is a crack through the bottom 1/4 of the arm. Well glad I caught it because I had been warned by you guys to watch out for the WH arms and sure enough they failed. Now the real question - Do you think they will replace them or am I going to have to re-fab this too.?? I met Jim C. at WH and seems like a nice guy I just hope he might be willing to replace these or at least give me a good deal on a new set. This blows because I only have a few weeks before the trip and have several other event between now and then. And I really want to take the EB to Shaver. Its been 3 years since I got to wheel out there and its going to be one of my few trips this summer
    Last edited by Familyman; 07-29-2006, 09:17 AM.
    72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
    1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Man...that sucks Chuck! When you pay an "expert" to do something, you'd think that it was done right. Well at least you caught it now, before you got way out on the trail somewhere and have it break out there. That would really suck.

I would be suprised if Jim at WH didn't take good care of you. At the very least, give you a nice discount on a new pair. Is the crack too bad to fix/weld yourself?

Hey when are you coming to Shaver Lake? Where are you going to go wheeling? Bald Mt? Swamp Lake? Red Lake? Coyote Lake? Maybe I'll have my engine back in by then.

Comment

Hey crawling, I could fix it but I don't think just rewelding it would make me confortable. I would probably rebuild the whole end, at least plate both sides where it make the "C" shape and down the arm at least 8" with some 1/4" or 3/8" steel. I would do this on both arms so I don't have to worry about the other that hasn't broke. Just alot of work I would rather not do if I didn't have too.

I would be suprised if Jim at WH didn't take good care of you. At the very least, give you a nice discount on a new pair.
        I am hoping so he seems like a good guy
        72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
        1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Working...
        X