Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Familyman
    Before the destruction
    THere is just something about the flat black and red that appeals to me....just sick...
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Damn Chuck,
      Nicely done. I love that too much throttle thing, And well done rotating it back
      69 bronco 302 670 holley TA NV4500/Atlas 3.8 29 spl. in 32 out 4.5 bc lift 3" body D44 Locked - 9" Currie/strange with daytona PS and 1350 yoke. Warn full floater Locked 35" MTR's beadlocked 4 wheel disc most parts are still on shelf, But 1 day

Comment

THere is just something about the flat black and red that appeals to me....just sick...
        Nicely done. I love that too much throttle thing, And well done rotating it back
        Thanks guys.

Well lets not think the destruction has ended yet. I began pulling out the psg side spring and removing stuff to get the rear end out. When I took out my axle wrap bar the joints were falling out as I pulled it from the bracket. The bottom one is obvious but the top one is toast too.

Guess I get to build a stronger antiwrap bar too

Do you think the eye on the leaf spring is suppose to be round
        Attached Files
        72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
        1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Keep looking. You may even find more. At least you saved some by doing the rotating yourself.
          Marc D.
          If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Damn Chuck! I was gone for the weekend and just got back and read this. As I was reading I had no doubt that you could fix this yourself. How much are they going to charge you to re-arch your rear springs? Mine look just like yours do.

Comment

Holy Crap...those Johnny Joints should be plenty stout for an anti wrap bar. What's the dealio?
              “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

I am going to put a brace accross the top to tie the 2 tubes together for xtra-strength. :

FM
                Chuck, I have a brace like that. It has a tab welded to the top of the pumpkin in an attempt to tie it all together.
                Too bad about those joints, you might think about replacing them with rubber or poly. The wrap bar is fighting the leafs when the suspension cycles and something has to give. Not saying that's what happened here, just something to think about.
                Keep up the good work, I wish I was out breaking stuff!

Comment

Too bad about those joints, you might think about replacing them with rubber or poly. The wrap bar is fighting the leafs when the suspension cycles and something has to give. Not saying that's what happened here, just something to think about
                  I built the bar to be able to move with the suspension hence the shakle at the front of the bar. What I believe its controling is the torque coming through the pinion that wants to turn the pinion up hence it try's to wrap the spring. What this anti-wraps job was is to prevent the axle from wraping and therefor protect the leaf springs which it did (but only on the dvr side) . Since the entire centersection and psg tube rotated after the plug welds broke. Is that right or more confusing now??

Holy Crap...those Johnny Joints should be plenty stout for an anti wrap bar. What's the dealio
                  Yea, I thought they would work too. But I was reading the other board I frequent and lots of jeep guys are having problems with the rubicon express joints and these were their smallest size. The large one at the front of the bar is fine. I am going to rod ends that should be strong enough

How much are they going to charge you to re-arch your rear springs? Mine look just like yours do.
                  $125-150 ea. with all new u-bolt (they make them there and they insist that they should be changed) So why do your springs look like mine?? Is there a good story we need to hear.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.

Comment

Nice...
                    Why don't you just use bushing joints instead at the axle end, they will do the same job and are considerabley cheaper than heims or JJ. Mine lasted fine, except for the bent 3/4 grade 8 bolts I noticed when I cut everything off. Must have been when I hopped the whole bronco a foot or so off the ground tring the second waterfall on backdoor.
                    70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

So why do your springs look like mine?? Is there a good story we need to hear.

Not as good as your story. I just a lot of axle wrap going on. Just before the 40th Hammers trip I was crawling around under my rig looking for things that needed to be addressed and noticed that the ears on my lower driveline yolk were almost worn completely through from having so much wrap going on. (see pic) All of this wrap has my springs bent into an "S" shape. So the day before the trip I had Jesse at High Angle driveline overnight me a new one and stayed up until the wee hours of the morning building an anti-wrap bar. I ran a tube across from one axle tube to the other, then a single bar up to a new crossmember. I used a JJ on the top and a poly bushing at the axle. It seems to work awesome and doesn't seem to limit any flex at all because I positioned it right in the middle of the axle above the diff. So far so good. (knock on wood)
                      Attached Files

Comment

Why don't you just use bushing joints instead at the axle end, they will do the same job and are considerabley cheaper than heims or JJ.
                        I am looking into this . My axle wrap sits at a bit of an angle (toward the center of the rig) but then I just need to cope the tube appropriately and I should be good. Not only are they cheaper I don't need all the hardware and tube inserts to go with it.

So Crawling you don't have a lower link point just a top- thats cool. Like the truss. Mine is going to run accross the top to the existing bracket of the anti-wrap bar. Will post pics. What size tube did you use for yours.

Update
                        $168 for 1 spring repair and 4 new 5/8" u-bolts
                        $163 for new yoke, u-joint, and check and rebalance

Comment

Update
                          $168 for 1 spring repair and 4 new 5/8" u-bolts
                          $163 for new yoke, u-joint, and check and rebalance

Damn, Chuck. You should have just linked it. Axle wrap gone.
                          Marc D.
                          If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72
                            Thats what I thought.. All that work.. Patric should do the same..

Aaron
                            KK6DAD
                            70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72
                              Who wants to host a "Link your Rear End For Dummies" class

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
                                Who wants to host a "Link your Rear End For Dummies" class
                                I bet it would even be cheaper than buying new rear springs.. Coils and tubing must me cheaper.. I'm In!! Marc where are you??? Mass buy!! Group Sale!! Production line.. !!

Aaron
                                KK6DAD
                                70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Working...
                                X