six inches longer!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike
    Of course your new production fixture will have a shim stack to dial in whatever castor you want.
    Sure. It took me three years to get to this point.
    1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
    I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

installed pics

More like poser pics, what can I say? We used to have some great obstacles in the back 40 at work, but they are all gone. All I could find was a wimpy concrete block to drive up on. But so far so good. Eventually I'll find something a little more challenging.
      Attached Files

Comment

As always...niiiiice.
        Jeff
        Vacaville, Ca
        67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

Those arms look in nicer in the day light! Looks like they are gonna flex real nice. Have you noticed any difference in the way it rides/drives with the longer arms? A little softer ride perhaps?

So....the real question is, did you idle up on that block?

Comment

As always...niiiiice.
            Jeff
            Thanks as always, Jeff.

Originally posted by crawlin68
            Those arms look in nicer in the day light! Looks like they are gonna flex real nice. Have you noticed any difference in the way it rides/drives with the longer arms? A little softer ride perhaps?

So....the real question is, did you idle up on that block?
            Ride is definitely improved on the rough country road leading to my office. They really seem to help on square-edged holes.

And yes, I did idle up that block

Comment

Originally posted by Lars

And yes, I did idle up that block
              I love it when a plan comes together...now stop listening to the Mustang crew...
              “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Re: six inches longer!!!

4 of us got together to build some Lars Bars yesterday. Jim of Jim's Bronco Stable knows a fab guy in San Jose who bent the tubing and made the brackets for us. Ended up being $300 in material for each of us or $150/arm. We later found a cheaper source for the 2x.25 but we had already purchased the tube. We also could have used cheaper brackets and rod ends. Got most of the cutting and grinding done yesterday. We'll get together another day to do the welding.

Slotting the tubing on Jim's mill.

David borrowed the welding fixture from Lars.

We chop sawed the arms to length and then Jim used his plasma to notch them.

A bunch of grinding to the arms to make the tubing fit just right.

Here are the brackets made by the fab guy. Copy of the PolyPerformance ones that Lars used. The guy burned "L-Bars" into them as a tribute.

Rod ends we got from the fab guy. Same size as used on the Duff arms.

Comment

Looks good Gil. So how long did you leave the stock radius arms? By any chance did you guys get a chance to mill my tubes for me?

Comment

I don't know what length Jim cut the stock arms at. I think someone said 12". I machined 8 tubes. You should call Jim about your set. I can machine your set the next time we meet.

Comment

I talked to him last week about where to bend mine and ask him to machine mine if you guys had time. If mine didn't get done, that would be fantastic if you could do it with the mill. If it's an inconvenience or you don't have time, no worries, I'll just get out the ol' 4 1/2 inch grinder with a cutting wheel and go to town.

Comment

I think he has your tubing but it isn't bent yet.

Comment

$300 not bad at all...I need to get busy makin a set of these
                          75 sport 302 c4 full width 44 front 9 rear let the building begin

Comment

Best arms ever!! Only one thing,, I wish they had more caster built in..
                            KK6DAD
                            70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Anyone ever make a set of these using square tubing? I'm leaning square as I don't have the ability out here to bend the round stock. Cut a pie shaped piece out of the square stock, bend to 9 deg and re-weld adding some 1/4" reinforcing cover plates and should be good. Just seems easier to me without the expense of having someone bend the DOM.
                              sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus232 View Post
                                Anyone ever make a set of these using square tubing? I'm leaning square as I don't have the ability out here to bend the round stock. Cut a pie shaped piece out of the square stock, bend to 9 deg and re-weld adding some 1/4" reinforcing cover plates and should be good. Just seems easier to me without the expense of having someone bend the DOM.
                                Familyman made them that way.. check out his threads.. he made them for a friend of his..
                                KK6DAD
                                70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Working...
                                X