six inches longer!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lars
    Oh, you mean this. Found it on craigslist last year. It looked lonely, so I decided to give it a good home
    Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike
      Nice!
      Thanks. I like it too. 9 years without a motorcycle was about 8 years, 11 months and 3 weeks too long. Never again.
      1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
      I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

I have a shop that may be able to do it. Thanks Lars for the info.
        FM <><
        72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
        1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Installed

Installation complete, but not ready for prime time. Gotta finish the cam swap so I can drive it.
          Attached Files

Comment

Those are sexy!
            Mark Harris
            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn
              Those are sexy!
              Wonder if my wife will agree...

Comment

Lars,

Those are very nice. The frame brackets look like they won't be too much of a catch point if you're sliding over a rock. Very professional installation.
                Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

I agree, I like the frame mounts! The arms are sweetness too!

Comment

Those arms came out nice. What paint did you use? POR?
                    67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                    69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                    69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                    79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                    67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Does it run yet???

Comment

I wish I could take credit for the frame mounts, but they are Poly Performance originals. Amusingly one of the details that hung me up for months (years?) with the project was getting some brackets made. Then a year ago I discovered that PP was selling a bracket that was almost identical to what I had drawn up in SolidWorks. And at the time for only about 25 bucks each. I think the price has gone up about 10 bucks, but I think they are still a deal at that price. Really nicely made from 1/4" laser-cut plate.

Paint is POR-15. Single coat. I know they say you are supposed to use 2 or more, but I'm lazy (and impatient). Even a single coat seems to hold up pretty well on fresh metal.

Still not driving it. I discovered I needed a new timing chain while doing the cam swap. Only 30k miles since new on the engine, but apparently the stock silent chains don't hold up so good with a bigger than stock cam and heavy valve springs. I ordered a Cloyes set yesterday from Summit, but they had a shipping hiccup and it didn't go out till today, so it'll be here tomorrow. No matter. It's butt-cold in my garage tonight, so I don't feel like working in there anyway

Comment

wow!
                          1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Clean looking fab job. It is also refreshing to see the professional prep used to create them. my hat is off to you. Question?

How did you determine castor adjustment?
                            70 Bronco with extras; 351W TBI,C-4, D20, HP44 locked w/ 4.56, locked 9" w/31spline, 35 tires, pb 4w-disc, on a 5.5 lift with WAH and Rockers.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbronco
                              Clean looking fab job. It is also refreshing to see the professional prep used to create them. my hat is off to you. Question?

How did you determine castor adjustment?
                              Thanks for the positive feedback.

The fixture I built took care of the caster. I don't know if stock arms have built-in caster or not, but it doesn't matter. I verified that the front face of the stock arm is perpendicular its long axis (it is) then built my fixture so it holds the arm stub perpendicular to the long axis of the tube. Thus my arms have the same amount of caster (or lack of it) as stock.

As it turns out, I cut the inner C's off my Dana 44 and rotated them back for more caster a couple of years ago. Enough that with 4.5" springs I run 2 degree C bushings and still have 5 degrees of positive caster. The extra 6 inches of arm length also flatten the angle between the arm and frame, which should give me almost another degree. I'll report back when I get it running. Maybe tonight, though if it's as cold tonight as it was last night I'm gonna wait. I'm a wuss about working in the cold & dark if I don't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars
                                The fixture I built took care of the caster. I don't know if stock arms have built-in caster or not, but it doesn't matter. I verified that the front face of the stock arm is perpendicular its long axis (it is) then built my fixture so it holds the arm stub perpendicular to the long axis of the tube. Thus my arms have the same amount of caster (or lack of it) as stock.

Of course your new production fixture will have a shim stack to dial in whatever castor you want.

Comment

Working...
                                X