testing turns into thrashing !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• testing turns into thrashing !!!!

Well I went to P.C. today to have some fun with my son and nephew. We had hit about everything P.C. had when we drove around and found this nice little uphill climb. You know the sort - kinda steep to a ledge about 3' high to get to the top. So try it slow , then try it medium and then floor it Well after the front end left the ground and possibly the rear it bounced landed and then -BOOM
    Thought I just bent a leaf spring and broke the rear driveline yoke but no it gets better. I thought "man that anti-wrap bar I built sucks. but then I noticed the pinion angle about 10 degrees further north
    Yep, the axle wrap bar held the axle in place just like I built it. BUT it did not hold the center section from rotating. So if I haven't descibed it well the axle tube accual rotated in the center section anout an inch or 10 degrees. Now my question - how do I fix it or do I need to buy a new axle and place all my goodies in it???
    In the pictures look at the center section you will see empty holes on the drv side center section and filled ones on the psg side - yea, not good I know???
    Thanks for the imput - hey good news is my antiwrap works great if I can keep the axle together
    Attached Files
    72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
    1 Cor 16:13-14

In case I wasn't clear here are the plug holes that are now open. This is the side I need to rotate back and then have welded inplace. FM
    Attached Files

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.

Comment

Shit just try the hill in reverse next time should even itself out..

A
      KK6DAD
      70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Wow, that is impressive. Maybe the antiwrap bar is too good. You should be able to rotate it back, or have someone do it for you. If it were me, and I don't always do things the right way, I would chain the axle to the frame, so it can't move away from the frame, and use a bottle jack to try to push the snought of the diff down. You should be able to see the spots line up in the holes when they get there. Then burn a good plug weld. I would also use something on for the jack to push against, not the body. Good luck, and you must have a good output shaft.
        Marc D.
        If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Nice break Chuck!! Lay off the pedal a bit. Wait, who am I to say that

You could put a piece of metal across the frame and use a bottle jack to push the pinion down to the same spot. Then, like said before, plug weld the hole, and then run a bead all around the tube in 25 percent increments. Like a clock, do 9-noon first, 3-6 second, noon to 3 third, and then 6-9 last. THis will help keep everything cool during the process. Let un know what you do, lead foot.
          “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

So you guys think I can turn this myself. I like it. We will see.

Comment

I think it is atleast worth a try. I'm still thinking that you are going to chain the axle to the frame so that the suspension is limited on its travel. Good luck, and let us know how it comes out.
              Marc D.
              If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Well good news, check out the pics. Took a piece of tube and placed it accross the frame and then a bottle jack from the front of the pinion snout of the diff. Ran a chain from the frame under and around to my shock tabs so that as it caused the travel to stop it also rotated the axle the direction I desired and then simple chain down the dvr side and PRESTO !!!!. I just put a bead in the old plug after getting her strait.
                Thanks to earlybronco72 and Delta for the ideas and challenging me to try sometimes its all that you need
                I believe this is what makes this board great, because not only did I get to fix it myself (with your guidance and help) but I saved my self $250 to right the axle plus probably another $250 to have someone reset my gears. I think the spring will need to go to the shop and the yoke is dead but I don't see those costing me that much. So thanks I greatly appreciate the help. FM
                Attached Files

Comment

Another question - What type of wire would you use to weld those tubes to the center section. I run solid wire with CO2 but I was wondering if I should use flux core due to the ability it has to burn into stuff compared to gas assisted?? Or is ther another type of wire or process you would recommend?? Thanks FM

Comment

No, your wire and gas combo will be fine. It really depends on the amp rating of your welder. If you have a small 110 unit make one root pass as hot as you can get it. After that, run the same size bead in 3 steps starting from the tube and stack them up on to the pumpkin. Now if you have a higher amp like 200-260, make one pass and keep the heat on the axle tube and walk it up to the pumpkin until you see it suck the pumpkin metal in. But then again, this is just my humble...opinion. Good luck! Glad the bottle jack idea worked for you...

And break out the salsa and chips for the tacoed springs!!
                    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Thanks Delta, I have a miller 175 (220 v) so I will spend the time on the tube and draw it up onto the center section as you suggest. I am going to pull the axle assembly out so I can get a good weld and I am going to put a brace accross the top to tie the 2 tubes together for xtra-strength. Pics will be for coming.
                      And break out the salsa and chips for the tacoed springs!!
                      The psg spring is going to Sac spring on monday and the driveline to Sac driveline. Yup need it rearched the spring it is straiter now with the flat bend into it and I think it is misaligning the axle.

Thanks for the welding tip

FM

Comment

Nice,,, lets get that thing going so we can wheel..

Have you ever used A&A Driveline? Bud is the owner and a EB builder..

A
                        KK6DAD
                        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

No, sure haven't. Had good experience with Sac driveline but give me his number and I'll give him a call. Thanks FM

Comment

Before the destruction
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Familyman
                              Thanks Delta, I have a miller 175 (220 v) so I will spend the time on the tube and draw it up onto the center section as you suggest. I am going to pull the axle assembly out so I can get a good weld and I am going to put a brace accross the top to tie the 2 tubes together for xtra-strength. Pics will be for coming.

The psg spring is going to Sac spring on monday and the driveline to Sac driveline. Yup need it rearched the spring it is straiter now with the flat bend into it and I think it is misaligning the axle.

Thanks for the welding tip

FM
                              Ooh, that welder is muey bueno. You should have no issues. Just be anal about making sure you are penitrating the axle tube itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X