six inches longer!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• six inches longer!!!

Radius arms, that is. I've been nibbling at this project for almost 3 years. Finally pushed through it and got them done today. Now for paint & install.
    Attached Files
    1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
    I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Now I know what you've been grinding on lately! Those look real nice!!! What radius arms are you running now? Why 6 inches? I'm sure that there is some scientific reason for it.

Comment

Those look F'ing awsome!!! Did you do them yourself? Nice Work!! Simple and clean.... I'll take a set...

Aaron
      KK6DAD
      70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Very nice work! Plans???
        '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68
          Now I know what you've been grinding on lately! Those look real nice!!! What radius arms are you running now? Why 6 inches? I'm sure that there is some scientific reason for it.
          Built them myself. Cut down stock arms at one end, Johnny joints at the other. I've got some Poly Performance brackets for the frame attachment.

I've got stock arms right now. One of the few original pieces left of my Bronco, in fact :-) The motivation for the 6 inch length was a compromise, as always. I first got the idea 3 years ago at Fabulous Fords Forever, talking to a guy named Dennis who worked for 4XDoctor. He had extended arms on his Bronco that he'd built himself. He claimed that he'd tried everything- wristed arm, WAH, Duff arms, and then made the 6" extended arms he had on his EB. He felt that they gave him nearly the articulation while still giving good roll control. Then I read about Don Moss of Baja fame who also pointed out that it's a good compromise number for more compliance without giving up the farm, roll-wise. Besides that, I just wanted to do it myself I'll report back once they are installed.

Comment

Lars,

Those look great. What did you use for tubing (wall thickness). Did you build a jig to keep them straight as you welded?

Galen
            Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
            I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

DAMN SWEEEEET! kinda off topic with the talk of extended arms, I know the Bent and Twisted extensions are in the range of 10.5", but any one know just how much the Cage arms are over stock?

Comment

Phantom,

They are 10 3/4" longer than stock.
                Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Nice, they look great.
                  72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Originally posted by 720Racer
                    Lars,

Those look great. What did you use for tubing (wall thickness). Did you build a jig to keep them straight as you welded?

Galen
                    Fixture? Yes. I spent way too many hours thinking about the fixture. It paid off though. Made the assembly job much easier.

Arm tubing is 2" OD x 1/4" wall DOM.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I was thinking of building the same arms and your turned out great. How far down the arm did you cut it? Did you notch the tube to slide the arm further up into the tube? Hope that made since?
                      Thanks Chuck
                      72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                      1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

I love em...hell, I wish I would have made mine shorter. I made mine 15 inches longer and now the mount is hitting my Atlas tcase..

Seriously though....nice job. you could easily sell those for $$
                        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Sweet job Lars, and yep took you long enough!

Rick-
                          68 Slightly modified
                          67 LUBR once again
                          61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Familyman
                            I was thinking of building the same arms and your turned out great. How far down the arm did you cut it? Did you notch the tube to slide the arm further up into the tube? Hope that made since?
                            Thanks Chuck
                            Pic of cut arms may help explain. I made a vertical slot in the tube and fishmouthed it to match the shape on the back side of the arm stubs.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thats what I was thinking would be the strongest. Very nice work.
                              FM <><
                              72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                              1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Working...
                              X