No announcement yet.

Patina Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think we're at the point yet where original paint color always adds substantially to the value. In most cases, not at all.
    It's mostly just the nice shiny new paint that sells still, but there are those who appreciate an original color. I think there's enough character in a special-order fleet CalTrans Bronco to add to the "cool" factor, but those that would pay more for it are probably part of a very small group.
    Orange is one of the nicer Bronco colors too, but there are also a lot of them represented already.

So for me it just comes down to what color would make you happy. And you did just do another Orange one (Poppy Red if I remember) in the '67.

Paul
    Last edited by DirtDonk; 07-23-2020, 10:10 PM.
    Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
    www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
    68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

I have been working on it...

Trying to finish Dr Bill's Holley Sniper conversion, But... Holley sent the wrong Throttle body, a two BBl instead of the Quadrajet 4V. It is truly a pain in the butt to order parts right now, let alone do returns... I wont even comment about shipping. Completely disappointed with Classic Tubes, no follow through... Ordered SS lines from Classic Industries, they seem to have it together.

So the dash and Pedal assembly is out of the 69, welding up holes and getting things ready for paint.
      Ordering some parts from Summit...
      Transfer case has been rebuilt, 4R70W was dropped off at the Tranny guy, hoping he doesn't find a case full of scrap metal!
      Matching build line numbers...
      Best sticker that I saw today at Morgan Hill's Cars and Coffee!
      Attached Files
      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Well that sure sucks that Holley sent the wrong one. Are they sending the correct one to you?

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
          Well that sure sucks that Holley sent the wrong one. Are they sending the correct one to you?
          Supposedly it would be available to ship on the 7/31. No confirmation email or tracking info... Guess it shows up when it shows up... Or "We'll get there when we get there"!

Comment

Been busy installing a Q-jet Holley Sniper on Dr. Bill's 79 Trans Am (reliving his High school days) Took forever for Holley to issue an RMA to return the 2V they sent by mistake and then multiple ship dates given for the right unit. Charcoal canister failed, pellets being sucked out. It is a one-off year that no one remakes

So while waiting I started rebuilding things (steering column), making new T-case cross member frame brackets, and painting up loose brackets and such. Mater's body is up on the rack and the frame rolls in and around the shop. Took out the PS box and cut out the frame brackets that were booger welded in place. Kind of stalled right now. Did talk to someone at BCB for their PS re-enforcement plate, in stock, ordered, and arrived 3 days later
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 904Bronco; 08-21-2020, 07:38 PM.

Comment

That is a sweet Trans Am! Your frame is not so sweet. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                That is a sweet Trans Am! Your frame is not so sweet. LOL.
                It was.... I fired it up earlier in the week and it didn't run right? Now I think it is a POS!

Pulled plugs and did a compression check... only 100 psi in cylinder 3, leak down test says intake valve. Talked to the owner and I pulled that head yesterday afternoon. Had to pull the head and exhaust manifold as a unit as there is no way to get to all the bolts. Heavy Bastard... Head goes to the machinist this morning.

Kinda like a Bronco, always looks easier than it turns out to be!
                Last edited by 904Bronco; 08-27-2020, 07:48 AM.

Comment

That is a sweet looking Trans Am. I always liked those. Old car jobs never go as planned, ha ha.That frame looks scary unsafe.

Comment

It was a Bastard getting that 6.6L head and Ex manifold off together... Head is at the Machinist and yes the #3 intake valve/seat is not right. It will be next week!

Work continues on the Bronco frame here and there... And yes there was some hidden cracking on the frame, possibly a previous repair? ...on the outside
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by 904Bronco; 08-27-2020, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Damn, those cracks look pretty bad. Are you going to cut that whole front part of the frame off and replace it? Or just weld in the outside part of the frame that you cut off?

Comment

Patrick, the 1st plan was to patch, that has evolved into marrying the replacement onto the frame rail.

And I have been looking at replacement frames, new and old. (The whole CA DMV thing keeps that idea in check) But I am still confident that surgery can be done successfully.

But 1st the Pontiac needs to be able to go down the road under it's own power...

Comment

Been a while since I updated...

Dr Bill's Trans-Am is back together and it runs, but I cannot get the idle below 1,100 rpm. It has been a true bastard. I spent 30 minutes on hold with Holley today, got some direction that went no where. Called back a 2nd time and after an hour on hold I gave up. I did down load the complete Sniper manual and have started reading through that.
                          The Machinist asked for the other head as the 1st one I took off needed 4 intake valves. And yes I pulled it. So it needed 4 intake valve as well, plus it had one dead spring and a cracked retainer. Decided to change the over sized thermostat gasket only to find no thermostat, just a restrictor plate. Also changed the oil, sticker says it was last changed 6/2/2013 and it has 1,161 miles on it since then.

But it is together, I took it on a 30 minute drive and it runs well. Just the idle issue and a few loose ends and it will be done.

Mater... 1st shop that I was going to have repair the frame put me off until Oct 12th, from early August. Oh we will work you in... oh we are soo busy... next week. Too many next weeks so I started looking and asking others who was a good welder to handle a tough project here in town. Got a great recommendation and I an very happy with the results. (So is Mater) Jerry B. looked at pictures and said bring it down Saturday to the shop. One visit Monday morning to confirm some stuff and I picked it up Tuesday Morning. Jerry did a great job marrying the factory frame with the frame piece I was given with the purchase. Cracks were addressed and frame reinforcements were installed with the BCB PS box reinforcement plate.
                          Started welding up some of the poor factory welds and wire wheeling the frame this afternoon. Not the greatest fun at all...
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by 904Bronco; 09-10-2020, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Here are the rest of the pictures... Rebuilt steering column... Start of frame cleaning...
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 904Bronco; 09-10-2020, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Frame repair came out great. Excellent work as always Doug.
                              Last edited by M_luther; 09-10-2020, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Here’s some ideas that might help you solve your idle problem:

https://www.efisystempro.com/efi-pro...roubleshooting

Comment

Working...
                                X