“Blue” 69

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Blue” 69

New to the NorCal Bronco page and pretty new to the EB Bronco world. Loving it so far. Was suggested by one of your longtime members that I needed to start a Build/Modification page, so here I am. This is my first EB which I picked up December 24, 2018 in Santa Ynez, CA. Based on the folder of old receipts that came with it has spent it’s entire life in the South Bay Area and then on the Central Coast (San Miguel, Paso Robles and Morro Bay since the early 80’s). Here is what I know about it so far. Originally was a 302, 3-speed, Harbor Blue, Heavy Duty Package, 3.5 Limited Slip axle delivered to DSO 72 (San Jose). As purchased has 302 2-barrel (not original engine), NP435, ~2” lift, 33x10.5, drum brakes F/R, power steering, vacuum brake booster, limited slip added to front axle sometime during it’s life. What I have done to it since purchased is added front disk conversion, led bulbs to turn/brake lights, 1” WH body lift, WH steering shaft, family cage from All4FunOffroad, and new 3-point seat belts front and rear. Next project will be installing the AX15 transmission I picked up in July when the family had our first Bronco outing at the Tom’s Fun Run in Medford, OR.

Glad to be here and more to come. Mike
    Attached Files

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Hi Mike. Welcome and you've got a nice Bronco there. Thanks for posting pictures and don't be shy about asking questions. There are a lot of knowledgeable good guys on here.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I’m sure there will be many questions tho come that I will need help on.

Comment

Nice looking rig. I will be interested in your ax15 install. Welcome to the norCal forum.

Comment

Welcome.

just to let you know I am the Token Canadian. Not Northern Cali, but Northern CALGARY.

Comment

Had Monday off so started the AX15 swap. Didn’t get to much accomplished other than getting the removal of the Dana 20, NP435, and old clutch assembly completed. Tore apart the D20 last night so that I could figure out what parts I needed to order. Was a little apprehensive digging in to the t-case that deep but it wasn’t that bad. I guess I will see how easily it goes back together.
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks Good Mike! Welcome to the Site. Doug.
                2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Progress is slow, but is being made. Tore down the D20, inspected it, got JB Fab twin stick shift rails, and reassembled with new seals and gaskets. Mocked up the bell housing, trans, D20, and twin sticks to make sure everything fit properly and shifted correctly. Hope to get it in the Bronco this weekend.
                  Attached Files

Comment

That looks awesome! I didn't know anyone made a clocking ring for the D20. Was that part of a kit?

Comment

Yes, that is the advanced adaptor D20 to ax15.

Comment

"That looks Awesome"

Agreed... All ready for Oregon next year?
                        Last edited by 904Bronco; 11-22-2019, 07:01 PM.
                        2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                        1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                        2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Doug the trans swap will be but the explorer swap won’t.

Comment

It’s been a few weeks, but I was able to finish up the AX15 swap yesterday. Had a few self inflicted setbacks, but otherwise was pretty easy swap. Setback one was I accidentally left 2 of my output shaft spacers off when I installed the output shaft case. Had to order a new gasket set to get that one gasket. Set back number two was I had the transfer case installed one bolt hole off in the adaptor and didn’t realize it until I went to install the twin stick and had binding issues. Luckily I only had to unbolt the t-case from the trans, cleans off the gasket surface, and reinstall with a new gasket. Hardest part for me was Fabing up a new tunnel cover to replace the plastic one the NP435 had. Only put a few miles on it so far due to the rain, but shifts much nicer than the NP435. I did have to bend the shifter for two reasons: 1). With the twin stick shift into rear low it interfered with shifting into first and second gear. 2) The position of the shifter was to far forward and to far to the passenger side of the cab. A little heating, bending, and repainting and all is good.

On a side note, I will have a few parts for sale if anyone is interested, let me know. NP435, Advanced Adaptor NP 435 to D20 with shifter for T style case, stock transmission cross member, and stock T style shift rail rods. I attached a few picks if interested.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Right on! The shifter/boot and tunnel cover all look really nice. I bet it shifts a whole lot nicer versus the NP435! Should make it a lot more fun to drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X