My ZF build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rcmbronc View Post
    I had to cut off some of the Aluminum ribbing inside the ZF bellhousing. It was hitting my pressure plate. Sounds the same as what you have.
    That sounds correct, I noticed some marks on ine of the ribs, I wasn't sure if it was new or old. It might just be new and my problem!

rcmbronc do you remember which ribs? I think I saw some marks on one lower rib on the drivers side. Sound right? Just grind em smooth?
    71 Bronco
    EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
    Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

So damn close...Is it safe to use the bolts to suck it in from here? Or just push more? It has not been pretty in the garage...I have been pushing on the tranny with my feet and pressing against the rear end...All while on my back straddling the jack.

In the side pic there is a dowel in the motor that looks like it is not quite lined up. Should I remove it and just use bolts to line it up?

Also, no ribs were harmed during this procedure.
      Attached Files
      71 Bronco
      EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
      Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

I ran into the same prob a couple months ago putting in my 435. After a lot of time and cus words I decided to pack it in for the nite. Didn't want to leave it sittin on the jack so I slid an old radius arm over the top of the frame rails and under the adapter to the transfer case to hold the tranny up until morning. When I let the jack down the trany shifted just a bit so I decided to try kicking it one more time and it slid right in.
        Worked for me, having a 3" bodi lift helps when sliding things across the top of the frame rail.
        Good luck.
        1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Suck it in with bolts. My 435, like the other Tony's, did not want to slide into place and I coaxed it in by tightening bolts ever so slowly. All of a sudden it just slid right in.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

It was the lower most rib on the bottom of the tranny. Sorry it took so long to answer.

Comment

Try turning the rear output yolk on the back of the tranny with the gears engagued, it might help you to line things up and slide in.

Worked for my 435.

Comment

Originally posted by 6daze View Post
                So damn close...Is it safe to use the bolts to suck it in from here? Or just push more? It has not been pretty in the garage...I have been pushing on the tranny with my feet and pressing against the rear end...All while on my back straddling the jack.

In the side pic there is a dowel in the motor that looks like it is not quite lined up. Should I remove it and just use bolts to line it up?

Also, no ribs were harmed during this procedure.
                Is it me or does pic #3 look like the ZF is slightly canted? I assume I am looking at the top of the back of the engine/tranny. Might be causing it to hang up a bit.

When I installed mine, I had the exact same issue as you. I used the complete BC kit and it would go in all but the last 1/2 - 3/4". I used slightly longer bolts to suck it in. No issues so far.

By the way, when I was laying on my back, trans in the air, jack balancing......I created a whole new language in the garage
                70 Bronco / 351W SEFI Serp, ZF, ARB, Sunburst Orange Metallic, 35 KM2s.........

Comment

The rib in the middle does have a small nick in it, but i think it was there already...

Thanks for the turning the output shaft trick, it helped...

Yes, it is canted in that pic as I have a bolt in the passenger side but not the driver's side yet...I am going to back that guy off a little and get some longer bolts for the other side.

Is there any chance the dowel in the engine is larger than the hole in the tranny? Or maybe I just need to line it up better...

I am planning on tightening up the motor mounts and do some wiggling...Thanks fof all the help!

Color looks great 70EB, I have been following your build for a long time and have been waiting for the paint! Strong work.

Mark
                  71 Bronco
                  Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Mabey you guys should try the right flywheel? I got a 89' 5.8 with the ZF5 that came with it. If you want i can take some measurements. My guess would be for a bolt in deal go with a f-series 302 flywheel,starter. Sounds like the bronco flywheel is to big.
                    71'Bronco 5.8efi, ZF5, Atlas 5:1, ARB 44,CTM,s & Warns, Stage 8, 9" 4.88 detroit, disc, 31 spline Dutchmans, 1350 yoke, Duff arms WH coils, Deaver rear "Full ground up in the works"

05 Dodge CTD 4x4 6spd
                    "everyone elses tow rig for the time being"

Comment

It's in! pics tommorrow...
                      71 Bronco
                      Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Finally!!

What did it take? Longer bolts?
                        Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                        I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Lots of colorful words! I just had to to find that sweet spot I guess.

I cut the head off a long bolt and threaded it into one of the top holes of the motor to help me guide it on. That and wiggling here and there, pushing, pulling, lifting, and some wishing. It finally just clicked.

I was able to start all the bolts by hand and tighten them down. I had to hammer the crossmember up a little to get it to go but it was pretty easy. There are six holes in each side of the crossmember but only four holes in the frame. The crossmember hangs a little lower that I thought it might but not any lower than the radius arm mounts.

The BC kit did not come with the two bolts that mount the tranny to the crossmember. My tranny came with a factory mount still attached so I was able to reuse the bolts.

Next I think I will mount the master cylinder and bleed it. I am reworking the hydroboost so I am planning on putting on the offset bracket now.

I also need to clearance my tunnel more. That could have helped with the install!. You can see in the pics how far (towards the rear of the Bronco) that I had to cut to get the shifter in. I think this was due to only the 1" body lift. I am not sure if I can cover that hole with the stock shifter boot. I might end up buying the tunnel cover from Protofab and covering up the whole tunnel. I need to see where the Atlas shifter ends up. It is nice to have a lot of access to the Atlas shifter right now anyways!

Lots of work to do, thanks for everyone's help and advice!
                          Attached Files
                          71 Bronco
                          Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Got a little more done,

Clearanced the tunnel a little more, that hole is huge...but was required.

Got the clutch MC in, I had to trim my new power brake bracket to get it flush. (yellow arrow)

As per BC's instructions I used an existing bolt for the top of the MC and drilled a new hole for the bottom. For the bottom bolt I put a washer between the MC and firewall to shim it even with top bolt. This was necessary because of the thickness of the brake bracket.

I also put the new pushrod in for the clutch pedal. I guess it just sits in the back of the MC? I haven't tighten this up yet...

Also mocked up the Atlas, seems like it hangs low...I guess the 20 did as well. Can someone take a measurement of how low your TC hangs below your frame?

Thanks
                            Attached Files
                            71 Bronco
                            Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

6daze,

Here's my D20 behind the ZF. Using the BC's adapter kit, I clocked the T case as far up as I could.

Galen
                              Attached Files

Comment

Here's the D20/Cold duck combo with the 4 link X-member and the beginings of a skid plate.

Galen
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X