No announcement yet.

My ZF build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.....I will get some pics up in the am.....
    I can't wait. I pretty curious to see how long it all is. My ZF/ColdDuck/D20 is pretty long, but it's got real good gearing (CD/D20 is 7.75 to 1). I'll get a measurement of the ColdDuck/D20 for compairison.

Galen
    Last edited by 720Racer; 09-23-2007, 07:24 PM.
    Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
    I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Here is a solo pic...from the manual the Atlas should be 13.80 inches long from surface of input housing to face (flat part) of the output yoke. So without measuring yet, add almost 14 inches to the ZF. How long is the CD/D20? 7.75? That is awesome!

Mark
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 6daze; 09-24-2007, 08:52 PM.
      71 Bronco
      EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
      Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

That's so pretty!!

Originally posted by 6daze View Post
        .....So without measuring yet, add almost 14 inches to the ZF. How long is the CD/D20? 7.75? That is awesome!

Mark
        The CD/D20 is 18" from the ZF adapter to the rear yoke. Does the Atlas bolt right up to the ZF? The ZF>D20 adapter is about 1.5". Both cases in low range is 7.75 to 1 (2.46 x 3.15 = 7.749). Not as strong as an Atlas, but pretty low geared. We'll see how it goes.
        Last edited by 720Racer; 09-25-2007, 09:27 PM.

Comment

The Atlas does bolt up to the ZF with a 31 spline input. The ZF is 29.5" long. And ZF's should not make any noise including rattles or rocks rolling around, if any noise mabey a first gear whine. I hope 70eb used mercon trans fluid and not 80/90. Shoot some pics of the final install please. I'm doing the same set up but have never seen one in person.
          71'Bronco 5.8efi, ZF5, Atlas 5:1, ARB 44,CTM,s & Warns, Stage 8, 9" 4.88 detroit, disc, 31 spline Dutchmans, 1350 yoke, Duff arms WH coils, Deaver rear "Full ground up in the works"

05 Dodge CTD 4x4 6spd
          "everyone elses tow rig for the time being"

Comment

Using correct fluid listed on ZF website crosschecked with Ford (Mercon). Only makes noise at idle in neutral. Have read on multiple other sites that this noise is normal. No rattling in gear.
            70 Bronco / 351W SEFI Serp, ZF, ARB, Sunburst Orange Metallic, 35 KM2s.........

Comment

I have heard/read the same on the fluid. A guy here at work runs a ZF in his diesel pickup. He has a little noise at idle while it is cold, then it gets quiet.

I have the tranny up and mocked in position. I trimmed the tunnel a little more than I wanted to but...I am going to POR 15 the underside while I can and the tranny goes in!

pics to come, I have Atlas questions for you guys!
              Last edited by 6daze; 09-28-2007, 09:00 PM.
              71 Bronco
              EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
              Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Sorry for the long absence, we had a couple fires down here in So Cal...Anyway I have the ZF up in position but cant get it to "suck up" to the motor. Is it supposed to jujst bolt up? It looks like the fingers of the clutch are touching the slave cylinder but the bellhousing is not touching the motor yet. I was able to get both upper bolts in the motor but I don't want to pull the two together by just the top bolts. Should I get longer bolts and just bolt the two together? Any suggestions are well appreciated.
                71 Bronco
                Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Yah, stabbing these things can be a real pain in the ass. I have done what you suggest several times (CAREFULLY). If for some reason you just can't get the input shaft into the bushing, you can slowly suck up the trannt to the engine using bolts. It will go really easilly if it is perfectly lined up. It just needs a little bit of help.
                  “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Also make sure the dowels have a place to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
                      Yah, stabbing these things can be a real pain in the ass. I have done what you suggest several times (CAREFULLY). If for some reason you just can't get the input shaft into the bushing, you can slowly suck up the trannt to the engine using bolts. It will go really easilly if it is perfectly lined up. It just needs a little bit of help.

X2... The engine bolt trick works. I got my NP435 mounted up this way.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

I just went through this with my 435, couldn't get the last 3/4" or so. Finally got tired of trying but didn't want to leave the tranny on the jack. I took a piece of pipe and layed it on top of the frame rails going under the the adapter between the trans and the transfercase so I could pull the jack out ( if you have a body lift a radius arm works pretty good ). After I pulled the jack I figured I'd give it one more good kick and it slid right in with ease. Pulling it off the jack must have lined it right up. Might be worth a try before you use the bolts and possibly damage something.

Tony
                        Last edited by blwngsket; 11-02-2007, 06:42 AM.
                        1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Make sure you have the right pilot bearin/bushing in there too. When I put my NV4500 in, they gave me the wrong bushing!! The hole in the bearing was too small for the tranny shaft to fit in. About 5 hours later, I pulled everything apart and had to have a long think!
                          CURRENT: D44 and 9" with open 3.50's, Atlas II, NV4500, stock suspension, 2" body lift, 31" tires. 93 Mustang 5.0 bored over and ported/polished.

IN PROGESS: 3.5" suspension lift and CAGE arms.

NEEDS: ARB's front and rear, and GEARS!

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will double check the bearing. I bought the BC kit and it came with the bearing and bronze bushing.

What could I hurt by pulling them together? The bearing? Anything else? The motor mounts are still loose from pulling the three speed. Should I tighten these up before I try again?

Thanks,
                            Mark
                            71 Bronco
                            Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Make sure the clutch disc is centered on the flywheel. Even with a clutch alighnment tool it can be just a hair off. Also a light coat of grease on the input splines and pilot bearing always help. Another tip turn the output shaft slowly, this will help the splines alighn. Oh and good luck! Pics soon
                              71'Bronco 5.8efi, ZF5, Atlas 5:1, ARB 44,CTM,s & Warns, Stage 8, 9" 4.88 detroit, disc, 31 spline Dutchmans, 1350 yoke, Duff arms WH coils, Deaver rear "Full ground up in the works"

05 Dodge CTD 4x4 6spd
                              "everyone elses tow rig for the time being"

Comment

I had to cut off some of the Aluminum ribbing inside the ZF bellhousing. It was hitting my pressure plate. Sounds the same as what you have.

Comment

Working...
                                X