351w Explorer Serp conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
    That's what I figured...why not. The only thing is the oil cooler is much samller than the regular small block filter. This doesn't matter if you change your oil regularly.
    Thanks for the info Delta!
    Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle dixie?

Comment

Serp Belt

I ended up after several tries going to a 97 5/8" belt.NAPA part#060970. For the power steering high pressure hose I purchased the stock Explorer hose,They come with the same fitting at each end, which is too large and the wrong type fitting for my box(78 bronco/f-150/2wd conversion).I simply cut off the box end of the hose,installed the correct fitting and double flarred the line.FYI You will have to use a fitting and adapter at the box end because the explorer hardline is larger than the f-150/bronco hardline.
      Attached Files

Comment

Look'n good bro! Sooooooo when are we gonna start that beast up!?

Comment

And that my friend is the BIG question.I still have on the to do list- Radiator,chip/tuner(still not sure what to do there),fuel lines,steering column etc.,,But hopefully within the month!

Comment

I got my chip from JMS Performance. www.jmsperformance.com. They just ask you all of the details about your engine, transmission, gearing, tire size, etc... and burn a chip to match your set up. Or if you want it to be absolutly perfect, you can get it running and then take it to a shop with dyno and they will custom burn a chip while it's on the dyno. Or yet another option is to get the TweeCer and do it all yourself with a lap top.

There....that cleared it right up for you huh? LOL!!!

Comment

dyno

Hey Patrick, I talked to a local guy with a dyno,he told be about $900 to dyno and tune it!! A little to rich for my blood.

Comment

Originally posted by silverhorse
                Hey Patrick, I talked to a local guy with a dyno,he told be about $900 to dyno and tune it!! A little to rich for my blood.

Yikes! I don't know if that is normal or not, but yeah, seems kinda spendy. I guess if you want every last horse power out your set up, then that is the way to go, but in my trail rig I wasn't concerned about about that. I wanted it to run good and be reliable. I paid $325 for my custom chip with 3 positions (economy, mid-range and power settings)

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68
                  Yikes! I don't know if that is normal or not, but yeah, seems kinda spendy. I guess if you want every last horse power out your set up, then that is the way to go, but in my trail rig I wasn't concerned about about that. I wanted it to run good and be reliable. I paid $325 for my custom chip with 3 positions (economy, mid-range and power settings)
                  Thats all I care about also (run good and be reliable). I guess a chip is all I need also!

Comment

power steering return line

At the boneyard today I found a perfect return line for the conversion. Its off a 4.6 liter Ford van.Didnt have to modify it at all.Sweet!
                    Attached Files

Comment

more pics
                      Attached Files

Comment

I went ahead snd stuck this thread at the top because of the great information. Also, I love the return power steering hose. It's a perfect fit..
                        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Ok, Thanks Delta.I still cant believe how well that hose fit the application,it makes me want to hit the junkyards more often!

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
                          I went ahead snd stuck this thread at the top because of the great information. Also, I love the return power steering hose. It's a perfect fit..

Comment

Hood?

It looks like the remote reservoir for the PS pump sits pretty high. Any clearance issue with the hood? I am only running a 1 inch body lift.

Comment

Re: 351w Explorer Serp conversion

Does anyone have any ideas about converting a explorer harmonic balancer from 50oz to 28oz (I am building a 347), or buying a new 28oz balancer and adapting a new pulley to it?
                              I can't seem to find a shop that can adjust the balancer ala carte. I don't want to add weight to the crank, I just want to be able to install "replacement parts" in case I decide in the future to run a different front end.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Comment

Re: 351w Explorer Serp conversion

I remember in the past people using these guys. I think they can get you anything you need.
                                http://www.damperdudes.net/
                                Marc D.
                                If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Working...
                                X