No announcement yet.

351w Explorer Serp conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh man, now that sounds like fun! What kind of plane are you building?
    My Dad flew crop dusters when I was very young, about 50 years ago and he didn't even have a pilots license, guess things were different back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars

My current project is building an airplane. There is an entire world of special tools that opens up when you get involved with aviation!
      Now that's insane... There is no way I would trust my fab skills on something like that.
      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by silverhorse
        The Explorer brackets bolt directly to the heads.
        So even with the different hole location (wider 351) the brackets still bolted up? What did you need to do here?
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
          Now that's insane... There is no way I would trust my fab skills on something like that.
          In reality "assembling" is probably a better choice of words. The plane I'm building is prepunched aluminum. Believe me, if you can build a Bronco you can build an airplane, and you'd probably do a better job without even trying than some homebuilders (whose planes fly just fine). Obviously you don't want it to fall apart, but you wouldn't believe how overbuilt even your average little Cessna is. The construction techniques were well-understood and proven by the mid 1930's, so I'm not pioneering anything.

As for the plane I'm building, it's a Van's Aircraft RV-7
          (end thread hijack)
          1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
          I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

So even with the different hole location (wider 351) the brackets still bolted up? What did you need to do here?
            That was reassuring to me, too. I really like the Explorer front dress, but someday there may be a 351W in my future. It's nice to know it fits.

Have you tried installing the a/c compressor yet? On my 5.0 it sits very close to the drivers inner fenderwell (yes, I know, I still have those pesky things). I managed to get it into place, but I had to shorten the rear bolts slightly. In case anyone is wondering, I use the a/c compressor for onboard air. With the 351W head being higher and closer to the fenderwell it seems like it might contact. I can't tell from the pics.

Comment

ps pump

Originally posted by highlander
              What PS pump are you going to run. Is it possible to use a saginaw pump.
              I will run the explorer pump. I heard that they are very capable!
              Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle dixie?

Comment

All the brackets bolt to the heads only,(302/351 heads have the same bolt hole set-up,as far as I know) so it just makes the accessories about an inch wider on each side. Just needs a longer serp belt!

Comment

Originally posted by Lars
                  That was reassuring to me, too. I really like the Explorer front dress, but someday there may be a 351W in my future. It's nice to know it fits.

Have you tried installing the a/c compressor yet? On my 5.0 it sits very close to the drivers inner fenderwell (yes, I know, I still have those pesky things). I managed to get it into place, but I had to shorten the rear bolts slightly. In case anyone is wondering, I use the a/c compressor for onboard air. With the 351W head being higher and closer to the fenderwell it seems like it might contact. I can't tell from the pics.
                  Yes Lars it did fit but it is close.See pic below
                  Last edited by silverhorse; 12-22-2006, 06:48 PM.

Comment

pics

These are the a/c and p/s pump pics
                    Attached Files

Comment

oil cooler

Anybody running a oil cooler? The explorers come with them so I was thinking about using it. Any feedback on that?

Comment

Anybody running a oil cooler? The explorers come with them so I was thinking about using it. Any feedback on that?
                        I personally haven't run one, but my understanding is that the device hits the frame on a Bronco, though that may be dependent on the motor mounts.

Thanks for the pics- most helpful!

Comment

Delta has the cooler on his, but I don't know if it's in the stock location. I run a PS cooler on mine, but mine is actually a transmission cooler that I snagged out in the you pull yard from a mid 80's van. Works great! Especially because I am running Hydroboost, steering box and ram assist.

Comment

Yah, I run the stock exploder oil cooler. It fits right above the front crossmember nicely.

Comment

oil cooler

Sweet! I may do that.I guess it cant hurt.

Comment

Sweet! I may do that.I guess it cant hurt.
                                That's what I figured...why not. The only thing is the oil cooler is much samller than the regular small block filter. This doesn't matter if you change your oil regularly.

Comment

Working...
                                X