• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 6daze project

The radiator.
    Attached Files
    71 Bronco
    EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
    Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Originally posted by 6daze View Post
      The radiator.
      Champion Aluminum... Where did you purchase?
      Thinking about the one that is set up for the Explorer/Mustang reverse flow... But that will leave two brass ones kicking around?
      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Hey Doug, CC522 is the one I used. I purchased mine from http://www.championradiatorusa.com/s...ADIATOR/Detail
        1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
          Champion Aluminum... Where did you purchase?
          Thinking about the one that is set up for the Explorer/Mustang reverse flow... But that will leave two brass ones kicking around?
          Looks like this one...
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-ROW-CHAMPI...49b198&vxp=mtr
          71 Bronco
          EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
          Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Here are some pics of the top mounts. They lean the radiator back and have at least a 3/8" gap between the rubber isolator and radiator.

These are the Scott Drake mounts that all the vendors carry. Does anyone have suggestions?
            Attached Files
            71 Bronco
            Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

I knotched the boly hole on my holddowns for a flatter look

Comment

Looks like your radiator is sitting about a half inch to high. Any possibility it's not completely seated in the bottom mounts?
                Marc D.
                If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
                  Looks like your radiator is sitting about a half inch to high. Any possibility it's not completely seated in the bottom mounts?
                  It was sitting a little high. I trimmed the radiator to fit in the mounts.

Thank you.
                  Attached Files
                  71 Bronco
                  Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Originally posted by workin it View Post
                    I knotched the boly hole on my holddowns for a flatter look
                    I decided to modify the upper mounts. I just sliced a small piece out and will have it TIGed back together.

Its really solid now!

The issue now is the shroud. I tried the stock height shroud and it didn't fit. Then I tried the 2" body lift shroud. The fan is very close if not touching the top of the fan.

I moved the shroud up and drilled new holes in the shroud to bolt it on the radiator. However I moved it up so much that I have nothing to bolt to on the bottom.

I will either bolt or weld on some extensions for the bottom of the shroud. I will also need to trim the top of the shroud as it now sticks up 3/4" higher than the radiator.
                    Attached Files
                    71 Bronco
                    Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Had a buddy TIG the upper mounts back together and add an inch to the bottom of the shroud. Story of my life, one more inch.

Here is an upper mount:
                      Attached Files
                      71 Bronco
                      Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Got the hoses mocked up. Upper fit snug on the radiator side. I had to use a little soap to get it on. Lower I trimmed the engine side about 2" and looks like I need to trim the radiator side about 2".

Oreilly part numbers:

Upper: GAT 21159
                        Lower: GAT 20225
                        Attached Files
                        71 Bronco
                        Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

• Box Mount

With the radiator pretty well done I needed to mount the box. I like the BC plate but moved the mount forward a bit. WH recommends this to keep the drag link out of the tie rod.

I used the stock bottom hole and redrilled the other two. I had to trim the front body mount and plate. I also pounded out the stock spacers and trimmed BC's to fit.

Pics are before and after paint. Also whats left of the stock frame spacers. They were 1/8" at best.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by 6daze; 08-15-2013, 10:36 AM.
                          71 Bronco
                          Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Since I had the entire system drained I decided to change out my reservoir. I have a small leak somewhere and always considered my tapped reservoir “temporary”.

Howe Performance is local to me and is well respected in the rockcrawling and racing world. Most of their stuff is way beyond what I need but I did pick their brains on some stuff.

They recommended upsizing the return lines from -6 to -8. I routed the return line backwards, underneath the AC compressor to the reservoir. I bought a reservoir from them and they added a return from the hydroboost. It does not have a vent because they want to create a little pressure in the system. They also suggested removing the cooler and adding a filter. Their theory is reducing any restriction on the low pressure side will help the high pressure side.

Here is the reservoir, part #1005.

I purchased a bracket from them and built a mount for it on the engine. I moved it back as far as I could to create a longer feed into the pump and get it higher than the pump. I was able to clear the hood brace by moving it back.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 6daze; 08-15-2013, 12:23 PM.
                            71 Bronco
                            Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Originally posted by 6daze View Post
                              . I moved it back as far as I could to create a longer feed into the pump and get it higher than the pump. I was able to clear the hood brace by moving it back.
                              I could be wrong but I thought they wanted the Rev. in front of the pump.
                              Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                              After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Brian View Post
                                I could be wrong but I thought they wanted the Rev. in front of the pump.
                                I'm not saying you are wrong, but in my research the reservoir should be higher than the pump to use gravity to your advantage. It can up to 2' away, as long as the feed line is appropriate size and going down hill.

BTW, I love Ukiah. I spent four wonderful days there in a hotel on a fire assignment last year. Beautiful town.
                                Last edited by 6daze; 08-15-2013, 09:44 PM.
                                71 Bronco
                                Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Working...
                                X