1970 Rust Bucket Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 Rust Bucket Project

Been a while since I posted. I don't have the 73 Blue and White Bronco anymore. Bought myself a 2021 First Edition and love it. Took it to the Wildhorses Round up and got bit by the early Bronco bug again. So I searched around and score this thing off of Classicbroncos.com
    • Frame had been sandblasted and painted with Steel it. James Duff long arms and long travel shock towers. BC Broncos fuel tank and all hard lines with external pump for EFI.
    • High Pinion Dana 44 with ARB, Yukon Shafts, Yukon 4.88 gears and ARB. Ruff Stuff Steering and Cover
    • Dana 60 rear with Discs, Yukon 4.88's, 35 spline shafts, ARB with Ruff Stuff Cover
    • Stock 302 block that has been completely rebuilt. Edelbrock Aluminum heads, intake, MSD Pro Billet Distributor, Explorer front dress, Toms off road 2 into 1 exhaust
    • Trans Original 3 speed, completely rebuilt with Hurst floor shifter conversion. I'm probably going to convert to a NV3500 this winter
    • Dana 20 t-case, completely rebuilt with extreme duty output assembly
    • Willwood hydroboost
    • American Auto wire harness
    • WH/ EZ Power Electric windows controlled by original window crank handles
    • Vintage Air Air Conditioning and Heater
    • Hayden Electric Fan
    • Dakota Digital Gauge Cluster
    • Toms family Roll cage, original seats that i'm going to recover
    Basically everything behind the scenes we rebuilt, repainted, coated and the previous owner was going to leave the patina. The patina is pretty sweet but i'm torn over leaving it, or cleaning it up and painting it. I know I hate the fender flares and the unusual amount of cheap screws that were used to hold them on. I am going to replace those pretty quick. Have the holley sniper for it and will get it installed in the coming weeks. Also had some 37x12.50r17's that were on my Megacab that I threw on the Bronco for now. Plan is to run some Trail Ready beadlocks and Toyo MT's. Hoping to have it running and moving around on it's own by mid August. I have some vacation time planned and a project on the house that need to come first and then I can focus on this thing.

1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

A few more pics
    1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

a few more.......

Comment

Wow, he did put a few screws into those fender flares!

Looks like a very good start... Leave the Patina if you are asking for votes...

Doug.
        2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
        1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
        2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

I like it, the patina thing is really a personal decision though. I think the old advice of "drive it for a while and see what you think" applies double to this situation. If it's mechanically sound, just put miles on and form your own impressions.
          I tend to think I'd end up painting it eventually, but I can't say that with any certainty. Sounds like a pretty solid rig regardless, and I'm glad that you are back in the game. I had no good excuse for missing the Wild Horses event this year other than I just didn't feel like going. It gets to be a very long day and I usually end up bailing for 2 or 3 hours in the middle of it anyway.

My "first edition" reservation turned into a Raptor reservation and I just can't see spending that kind of money on a bronco. I think I am going to put the new bronco idea out of my head for a while.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

That looks and sounds like a very good rig to start with. I do like the patina too especially if it's going to be a wheeler. Keep us posted on your progress. Nice shop you have there too!

Comment

Wow. Nice rig.

Comment

Some progress on the 70. Been adding a room in my garage for a workout area, and took the first vacation i've had in 2 years. Spent almost a week in Santa Cruz. Spent most of it scheming how I could sell everything but the 2 Broncos and stay forever. haha

Picked up a haul of parts from WildHorses on the way back. All stock interior in parchment with new foams, new steering wheel and all the components to install my headlights.

Holley sniper is almost complete, all coolant lines are done. Fuel lines are done. Working on hard brakelines and rear disc brake conversion next. I have a front driveshaft ordered from Tom Woods. Once its driving under front wheel drive. I will take it to a friends shop to have him setup the rear ARB and 4.88 gears. Also ordered some Balliebuilt bumpers for it. It's coming along nicely.

Comment

Any progress forward is good. Santa Cruz, well it is a unique place and we will leave it at that

Comment

Got my Bailie Bilt bumpers yesterday. Threw the front on for a test fit. Pretty happy with the bumpers. My frame ends are tweaked a little so I have to work that. Especially the back. I wanted Protofab bumpers but after reading about all the issues people are having and not feeling great after talking with them on the phone I went this direction and i'm pretty happy.
                    Attached Files

Comment

That bumper looks great on there! I've never been a big fan of the Proto Fab bumpers, but that's just me. You did good with these.

Comment

I am curious to see the rear bumper, and more specifically what you are doing for a tire carrier. I have been ready to ditch my homemade rear bumper for a while now, but like you I have some reservations about Protofab's rear bumper. I have the protofab front bumper and I like it a lot, but the rear... I've never been able to pull the trigger on that.
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                          I am curious to see the rear bumper, and more specifically what you are doing for a tire carrier. I have been ready to ditch my homemade rear bumper for a while now, but like you I have some reservations about Protofab's rear bumper. I have the protofab front bumper and I like it a lot, but the rear... I've never been able to pull the trigger on that.
                          I think i'm going to get a spindle fab kit from EMS and then hole saw the end of the bumper and weld it on. I've seen a few tire carriers added on to the Bailie rear bumper and after seeing it in person it's plenty stout enough for a carrier. I will post pics when I get it done.

Comment

Front bumper is done. Install wasn't too bad, lining everything up by myself was "fun". hahaha

First time I've used Steel It spray paint. Its different and takes a minute to get used to but man does it go on smooth and seems to hold up really well. The whole frame is painted in that so I wanted to make the bumper match. Took 2 cans to do the inside and outside of the front bumper.

ARB twin compressor is in. I did all braided stainless lines, including running to the differentials. I had so many problems with the crap blue line in the past. I'll carry that as a spare just in case but shouldn't have a problem.

Front drive shaft is ordered from Tom Woods. Next up is rear discs and bending some hard lines for the back. After that, it's nut and bolt everything one last time. Check/Fill all the fluids, throw some fuel in it and see what happens. Once I have it running and driving on the front axle, I'm going to drop it off to a buddy of mine so he can install the rear ARB, 4.88 gears and build a rear drive shaft for it. After that it's little crap "Hopefully". Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco 5.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	318528 Click image for larger version

Views:	193
ID:	318532 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco 6.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	318529 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco 7.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	366.1 KB
ID:	318530 Click image for larger version

Name:	8Bronco 7.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	318531 Click image for larger version

Views:	192
ID:	318533

Comment

Looking Good! I like the Patina....

Comment

Working...
                              X