1970 Bronco... "Meet Betty"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 Bronco... "Meet Betty"

A lot of Bronco stuff happened in the last few months... Sold Poppy, the 67, she is in Texas now, north of Houston. Sold Mater, the 69, he is in San Jose getting paint and body work done. Did a major inventory on my Bronco parts, cleaned a bunch, tossed some, and sold a fair amount at the Swap meet. I still have a fair amount, which led to the conclussion that I should do another EB build.
    I did look at a fair number of Gen III Broncos and a few Gen II's, most were pretty tired and I see they are not as well supported as the early Broncos are. Prices for those were all over the place too. My thanks to all my Bronco buddies who gave me leds to check, or sent me links to look at.

So here we are with Betty, a 70 Wimbledon white bronco from New Mexico. Her true name is Betty White, get the tie in? Thank you Patrick for naming her. So many other names came to mind, but didn't seem to fit or may not have been considered PC in todays world. A Running 302, 3 on the tree, no brakes (bad master cyl) D44 already up front, 3:50's Trac loc in the rear., Modified tire rack in back. Has some 15" rollers on it now. Had a bulkhead, but that is gone. No holes in the back for a bench seat/belts. Top is borderline junk, holes drilled for a rack, and a bunch of pop rivets to the support bows. Cage Dave says look for a good used one... Which I am. Not in a hurry though.

I got it from JimGo in SJ, lots of horse trading to get this one. He tossed in a 98 Explorer long block.

Haven't found any rust damage yet, well there is some holes on the inside of the tailgate... Been scrubbing and cleaning and the paint is coming back as you can see in one of the pictures. Lots of little custom touches, most of it mounted with sheet metal screws. I tell people that I think my Dad worked on it, lots of things mount with carrage bolts/large washers/square nuts. He would save and reuse stuff, product of growing up in the Depression. I have rebuilt both doors, scraped off the window tint (more of that to do). Picked up a replacement dash in Oregon... Large gash for a radio hole

So pulled out a bunch of stuff, Patrick bought the running motor, I pulled the 3 spd and T-case. Cut off the beefy hitch that was welded to the frame. Both tanks are out now. Looking at a similar build to Mater, keeping the Patina, 4R70W. Explorer EFI. Did my first Explorer harness conversion, EFI Guy has done two ECU's for me. Have ordered a few parts, some came in, some are on back order. Took about 7 weeks to get the Explorer long block rebuilt, Tranny and extra T-case is at the rebuilder, he says next year. Called Areo tanks and talked to Jake... It took a few weeks but they built a tank for me. (Building a bunch of Sprinter van extended size tanks as of late) Probably will get the body off the frame in the new year to do a fresh suspensionand clean up the frame welds before powder coating.

I will post more as I work on her...
    Attached Files
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

It’s in Great shape. Love the patina.

Comment

So today I started in on the rear end... New bearings already on the axles, good right? Nope one had a lot of lateral movement so went to replace it. But apparently, the NAPA counter person was not really listening to me about the rear end. Wrong - axle seals, bearings, and brake shoes, so an unplanned road trip to exchange.
      Dropped the drums off to be turned and they were already oversized. New drums are on order... Tomorrow arrival.
      Exchanged the parts, but guess what, no 2.5" x 10" brake shoes anywhere to be found in the NAPA system - Unavailable they said.
      Back to Morgan Hill. Hello.. O'Reilly's I need some brake shoes, Yes sir they are available at the San Jose wharehouse, I can have them here by 3:30. Great! I will stop by to pay for them. New bearing installed on the axle, ready for pick up..
      Back home and pull the 3rd member, came right out, I could probably re use the gasket as it is still in one piece? Take a closer look at the gear set and see the ring gear had rust and someone took a grinder/apprasive disc to it. Good thing they are being changed anyway.

I take off the old school traction bars, and bolts snapped off... I am begining to think there is a curse or something?

I am doing all this because the Pinion seal and one axle seal are leaking. And they are doing this because there is no breather hose to the frame and the breather is packed full of Crud. So take it out and clean it. Put it back in and pressurize the housing to look for more leaks... To find I have a weld that has failed in the back panel of the housing. The housing will come out tomorrow.

Isn't working on Broncos Fun!
      Attached Files

Comment

This is going to be a great build! I can relate to the "interesting" findings as there were plenty of those on mine. Also, thanks for the tip about applying some air pressure to the housing to find leaks. Mine has a leak somewhere and I cannot find it. It's leaking just enough to be annoying. I will put a little pressure to it someday soon, though I have some more new parts to install before I dig into that...
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Glad to see you’re keeping busy Doug.

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Steed View Post
            Glad to see you’re keeping busy Doug.
            Yah Skip, I think the Wife is happy too as without Bronco work I "Find" other things around the house that need work... Except her home office for work shares a wall with the shop!

Tony, Mater had a pretty good leak too. Needed some welds... Hoping that the D44 doesn't need all this love?

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
              Tony, Mater had a pretty good leak too. Needed some welds... Hoping that the D44 doesn't need all this love?
              I am pretty sure mine just needs some re-sealing. At least that better be what it needs... its a Currie housing that I bought new several years ago. If it needs welds I will be less than pleased!
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

It's all fun until the dipshit at the parts store sells you the wrong parts! Oh well, what are you going do? You just have to take them back. Hopefully you can gather all of the correct parts up and her put back together.

Comment

Well the rear pumpkin is at my buddies getting rebuilt, West Coast Differentials had everything in stock thankfully. NAPA got in the drums and all the right parts were exchanged/collected.
                  The rear housing went to my buddy who did the welding on Mater's frame, he couldn't get it to leak even with a 110 psi applied to it. We agreed that once it is back in the rig, bolted in place, with tension on the housing, it might leak. But for now I am moving ahead with getting things back together.

Shop was cold yesterday, had to pull out the propane heater.

Been cleaning the undercarrige of Betty, she's pretty clean - a little scraping and a wipe down to get the dried dirt off, not planning on doing much more than that. Found 8 holes I need to weld up on the back floor, maybe some touch up with red oxide paint.
                  The good news back from my Tranny guy is that the $300.00 4R70W is rebuildable. (Thanks Russel for the deal)
                  Started scraping the dirt (Mung) off the 3spd trans and T-case. Interesting collection of grease, oil, dirt, debris, etc. Once the big chunks are off then I can give it a quick blast of the purple cleaner and get it out of my way in the shop. I know you will appreciate a cleaner tranny to work with Patrick when we meet up again.

Comment

Thanks Doug! It'd be great if you can go ahead and rebuilt it too. LOL. JK. I appreciate you scraping and cleaning it!

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                      Thanks Doug! It'd be great if you can go ahead and rebuilt it too. LOL. JK. I appreciate you scraping and cleaning it!
                      Before... And no, this stuff doesn't just fall off, it has to be chipped off!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by 904Bronco; 12-15-2021, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Nice start Doug!
                        68 Slightly modified
                        67 LUBR once again
                        61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Here you go Patrick, one cleaner transmission...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Broncrick View Post
                            Nice start Doug!
                            Thanks Rick!

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                              Here you go Patrick, one cleaner transmission...
                              Wow, that looks great. What a difference! Thanks Doug I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X