No announcement yet.

Patina Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the info Doug. I am getting that same size and went with Load range C vs. E. I currently have 33x10.5 15 although they actually measure out at about 31.5.

Comment

• Doug, what about the 17" steel Dodge wheels that some are using? There's some info about them in a thread on classic. Hardly original but closer in spirit. They may be too wide but worth a look. And probably available in a junkyard.
      1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
      I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

• Way ahead of you, did search on Classic, read a few threads. Some, depending where they are, had difficulty finding them. A few complained about used prices, a few others got Screaming deals (they didn't live in CA) Others talked about the fair amount of metal that needs to be trimmed from the center hole, for Bronco hubs. Discussions on various methods used (Hole saw?)... other than on say a Lathe.

And then, there is a sale on these rims at 4W Parts, with another $100 off the price of (4) because of their Sizzling sale this weekend. Test fitting these on Sunday:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 904Bronco; 06-05-2021, 06:07 PM.
        2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
        1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
        2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

• Method makes nice wheels for sure, though I'll admit to not being a big fan of the beadlock look. Those wheels without the ring would be really nice. Almost a steel look.
          For what it's worth, I just checked www.car-part.com for Dodge 1500 wheels. Subway Truck Parts lists them on that site for $45 apiece.

Comment

• My lathe is waaayy too small to swing a wheel, but I'll bet I could make a fixture pretty easily that could fasten on the 5 on 5.5 lug bolt pattern and center a hole saw. Would be ideal to use a drill press to open it up but not strictly necessary. I did something like that years ago so I can modify Explorer rear discs to 5 on 5.5.

Comment

• Well Lars greatly appreciate your comments, as always, and I would have preferred a steel rim... But considering pricing, online sales, weekend sales, and a 2 month wait for steel rims to be available (if then?) I am happy with my selection.

Yeah they don't really fit the theme of Mater, but maybe he should have something nice? Even if I blew my budget...

Anyway, no more Death Wobble at 55 mph, but now I have roof "Canning" at 65...

Finished the steering column cover, made one with an offset 1/4" more to the Drivers side. And added outside mirrors.
              42 miles on the motor now, might take him off non-Op in August when reg could be due.
              On to smaller projects that don't cost any money, just time.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 904Bronco; 06-12-2021, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                Well Lars greatly appreciate your comments, as always, and I would have preferred a steel rim... But considering pricing, online sales, weekend sales, and a 2 month wait for steel rims to be available (if then?) I am happy with my selection.

Yeah they don't really fit the theme of Mater, but maybe he should have something nice? Even if I blew my budget...

Anyway, no more Death Wobble at 55 mph, but now I have roof "Canning" at 65...

Finished the steering column cover, made one with an offset 1/4" more to the Drivers side. And added outside mirrors.
                42 miles on the motor now, might take him off non-Op in August when reg could be due.
                On to smaller projects that don't cost any money, just time.
                Those wheels do look pretty good. So there's a second opinion, from a bystander instead of someone who might be biased because their budget was blown 8^) But oh, those uncentered rear flares, like most Broncos of the day. Totally messes with my OCD...

Years ago when I rebuilt my Bronco I was determined to have a dashpad, so I bought a cover to repair my cracked original. It interfered with the vent windows (still does) but hey! I had a whole dashpad (still do). At the time I thought the no-dashpad look gave an unfinished appearance. I've come around. I've decided I really like it. Clean and simple.

Someday the compressed rust from which my hardtop was manufactured will finish decompressing and I'll have to replace it. And then I'm going to fold down the windshield and dispense with my dashpad for good. And have functional vent windows again as a bonus.

Very nice job on the steering column cover. How did you make it?
                Last edited by Lars; 06-12-2021, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• Short version -

Well you start with a number of measurements, then from those I determined that the column was shifted 1/4" over to the left.
                  Made a cardboard template with the new offset. Got this plastic (3/8" thickness) from Tap plastics, same material I use on the mounting points...shimming the Aero fuel tank as needed.
                  Cut the plastic out to match the template, put the screw holes in and mount the whole thing to a block of plywood.
                  2 1/4" hole saw in a drill press, adjust the press table to mirror the angle that the column passes through the dash.
                  Drill hole.
                  Much cleaning and sanding. Now carefully cut, with a band saw, across the center of the hole. As Ed would say, more "Fiddly bits" to mess with so everything fits together cleanly. Install.
                  Clean up a mess in the shop.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Nice fix there Doug!

Comment

• CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) is a great tool!

Comment

• Finished the Wiper cover install... Bought the one I had made for my 71 Grabber green bronco back, owner wanted something different. Also picked up the front and rear bumpers from the same rig, powder coated black now? They will do for now and will match Mater's theme.

I had to cut down the cover some... and make some new mounting brackets from memory, but one more thing off the list of to do's.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Parts on Back order are slowing things down.

I have put a 100 miles the motor, illegally, as Mater is still non Opt until the end of August. (His Blue plate says 1993 last renewed)
                          Sorry State of CA I don't want to pay a differential for the time now until Aug 26th. So short trips around the area on back roads works.

Had a road trip last month up to Portland and then over to Boise. Visited oldest son who turned 21.

Stopped in at Bronco Specialties in Boise to see John and rumage through his "Chrome bucket" for door sport trim. Found some good Patina pieces for a great price.

Hit Jalopy Jungle in Caldwell and Napma for assorted Explorer pieces, V8 Explorers are not that common in the yards anymore...

So small projects are keeping me busy for the time being... Remove, weld, grind, prime, replace...
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Love those rims on Mater. Definitely a rim I would consider for a future truck.

Comment

• I agree, I really like your wheel selection.

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback on the Rims Gents....

A few parts I need are still back ordered, grumble, grumble... So a couple things on the to do list are just going to be pushed out a little longer.

I have been trying to get the guy who made my PS Res to build a Rad overflow but to no avail. He got Covid in November last year and has still not gotten a 100%. After 3 months of checking in on his condition, I decided to join the Lars club and buy a Canton overflow tank. Pretty much double what I would have paid, but nice quality. And I got one of the last ones Summit had so, I feel a little more comfortable driving around in the hot weather.

I got a 97 Explorer engine harness donated to me for free. It has some broken/missing connectors that I picked up on my recent trip to Idaho. Along with the tranny harness and a few other pieces. I think I am going to try and do the EFI Guy mod on it myself.

Speaking of Garry, aka: EFI Guy, had a long chat with him this weekend. He is a very busy guy, he is 5-6 month out on harness mods, been looking for a place with a little land to buy, and some of the EPA rules have forced him to change the way he does business.
                                Hopefully, the RPM Act that SEMA is pushing will get passed this year. And change the EPA's position that no production car can be modified (remove smog equipment/performance equipment added) Period. It did not pass last year, but has better Bipartisan support this year, we can hope....
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X