The 67 Luber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 67 Luber

So I figure that I have one more build in me before I am priced out of the Bronco market. It truly amazes me the kind of prices they are pulling theses days!

Turns out as I was looking for another project, who would think that I would find something reasonably priced here in the Bay area. Let alone from a guy that went to the same high school as I and grew up one street over from my parents house in Los Altos. And the wheels were set in motion by none other than Paul aka: Dirtdonk, who has known the owner for some 43 years. Tony is a few years older than I and I remember him terrorizing our neighborhood, back in the day, in his 1966 fastback mustang. So Paul gets us together to talk Bronco and the conversation is basically a blast to the past of growing up in the neighborhood and the people and places we use to hang. Being that this was the one day this year in the Bay area that it poured rain all day, I ended up coming back a week later to crawl through the Bronco and give it a test drive. And the rest they say is history, sort of... My offer for the Bronco was counter offered and well I figured that was it. If it went to CL, someone would throw the extra cash in that Tony wanted. 6 weeks later, I get an e-mail saying if your offer is still there, it is yours. Done deal. Early Christmas present I say. We complete the transaction Sunday afternoon and I drive it home to Morgan Hill. It was all good until I got to South San Jose and I looked down at the Temp gauge and see 240* Holy Crap!!! I pull off Hwy 85 and find that not only is the water pump leaking water out the front seal, it is making a hell of a bearing growl. Lets say it is good that I know the back roads home. So with the Rad and overflow full of water, I head home, Rad cap loose and running the trans in 5th gear to keep the rpms down. I make it to the driveway, leaving just a minor trail of water.

So now I suppose you want the meat so to speak...

1967 Bronco, Uncut, with a DSO from Seattle. S-code paint = Poppy red. It has a very tired late 80's 5.0L out of an LTD. It uses oil (burns) almost as fast as it drips out. Holley 4V, Edelbrock intake.
    NV3550 5-speed conversion, rebuilt d20 with twin sticks, Power steering conversion done, think it is a 4 turn box, 76-77 Dana-44 with disc brakes with vacuum power booster. WH's aftermarket seats, with a Tuffy box under the pass seat and a Tuffy box between the seats. No Radio. P235 tires on 1990 Ford P-up Truck aluminum rims. 1" body lift. Helwig sway bars front and back. Custom made Aluminum rear tank.

I think that covers it... What it needs is a motor, probably that 96 EFI Explorer motor I have on the stand in the corner of the shop. It needs both floor pans, and it needs rewired---- Badly. And some standard Bronco type sorting. The hood needs replaced as it has a few dents and cracks in it.

More later...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171218_091638709.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	491.5 KB
ID:	288828
    Last edited by 904Bronco; 12-29-2017, 04:28 PM.
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Re: The 67 Luber

RIGHT ON Doug!! Congratulations. It appears like you got a very solid foundation to work with. I can't wait to watch the progress.

Comment

If you follow Maxlider motors they list Broncos at 50k all the time. So if you got a good deal, congratulations. I look forward to seeing the cleanup.

Comment

Awesome. Congrats Doug.
        I keep thinking that the good deals are all gone and then someone happens upon one. Glad to see it was you who got this one.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Continuing the story of Bronco ownership...

So I am driving home and discover the the water pump is going south. I make it to the nearest gas station (Chevron) and pull up to the air/water station. Except there is no water, no hose, but there is a space where it should be. I park the Bronco and walk into the Quik-Mart and ask the gentleman from the middle East do they have water and tell him that they have no water hose at the water/air station. He tells me no, it is out-of-service. Great tell me something I don't know... You got a bucket or pail, empty antifreeze container I can use? No. Why? Because I could get water from the restrooms. Why you need water? For my radiator in my truck. Oh, there is a hose in back. There is... where? Go around back. Well there is a hose spigot, but no hose. Back to the container thing now...

So out of the garbage I pull a Togo's drink cup, and fill it up a few (20) times to top off the Bronco. Mumbling to myself about the quality of personnel they hire these days...

So I am home, trying to figure out what kind of pump I have... It is aluminum, so I think it is a late model reverse flow... But no wait, the Rad inlet is on the Passenger side? So I pull the pump... but not without issues. Ford long water pump bolts that pass through the timing cover always seem to get boogered up, and then break. So heat and mini impact moving the bolt left and right until it breaks free and comes out.
          So it turns out it has aftermarket Japanese pump made by GMB that is supposed to be high performance (Summit) and it is a standard 1967 289 pump. So I get a cast iron replacement, paint it, clean the timing cover surface, clean out and run a tap through all the threaded holes, and clean out all the long bolt holes in the timing cover. Re-install the front dress, pull a block drain flush with fresh water, fill, heat cycle, drain, refill with Rad flush, heat cycle, drain, flush, refill with coolant, clean out out the overflow bottle, and put the Rad cap on. All good, right?

Nope. Small pin hole leak in the Rad side tank... Guess the cleaner worked too well

So today's project is to put my spare Rad in, so the rig remains mobile, cause no one is fixing a Rad for the next few days.

Bronco ownership is an experience!

Name:	IMG_20171218_165115763.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	275149
          Last edited by 904Bronco; 12-23-2017, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Sounds like it was a fun trip home. Regarding the mini mart employees (they are all family members of the ownership) .....well never mind. I had better just be quite about that subject. I'm glad you got back together(except the radiator issue).

Comment

So got my spare Rad in, not correct per say as it is not a 67 type with the expansion tank. But the expansion tank had already been removed and well the next engine will probably have the newer style anyway. No leaks, drove it around the hood.

Got the Marti report back, it is supposed to have 4:11's and a Lim slip

Did I mention that this Bronco has an electric fuel pump? And the thing is loud, not that you can hear it inside if the engine is running... But I am not going to miss that.

There was a fatality from the over heat, the oil fill Autometer Temp gauge has stopped moving.

So I will begin the cleaning and checking phase next, checking fluids, condition of the brakes, cleaning out the dirt.

The air inlet hose to the heater was full of leaves and it looks like the Chevy upgrade was done to the heater.

I will post some more pictures later. > Has some interesting wiring... Just say no to Scotch-loc's connectors

Name:	IMG_20171223_123246922_HDR.jpg
Size:	475.1 KB
ID:	275155Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171223_123353433_HDR.jpg
Size:	472.6 KB
ID:	275152Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171223_123405866_HDR.jpg
Size:	557.6 KB
ID:	275156Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171223_123357025_HDR.jpg
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	275153Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171223_123235080.jpg
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	275150Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171223_123315087.jpg
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	275154Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171223_123239966.jpg
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	275151
              Last edited by 904Bronco; 12-23-2017, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Nice score Doug! That this is clean as it sits. I can only imagine what its going to look like after you tinker with it.

Staying busy with retirement I see. Not a bad way to spend it.
                {o===o}
                Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                Originally posted by CityHick
                I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Man, your standards are higher than mine. My Broncos wiring is way worse than that, and I drove mine halfway across the country on dirt roads. I wish I was as detailed as you.
                  Marc D.
                  If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

What's with the pipe bomb at the rear bumper!? LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                      What's with the pipe bomb at the rear bumper!? LOL.
                      That is the rear anchor point for the rear tank straps !!!

Comment

Clever guy, that Tony! Runwhatyabrung and all that.

Need an edit though. Known him now for an official 43 years and a few months. I think his Mustang was what led to the original introductions.

Paul
                        Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                        www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                        68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

And so it begins... Passenger floor panels. Decided to start on the Easy side 1st???

Tomorrow I will work on the front half. Sunday I will redo the boogered up threaded mounts for the seats.

Then Grind, treat the rust, spray weldable primer, test fit/modify floor pans, and at some point weld everything in place.

This has to be the worse job there is when working on a Bronco, panel replacement due to rust?

Name:	DSCN4573.jpg
Size:	577.3 KB
ID:	275207Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4569.jpg
Size:	816.6 KB
ID:	275208Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4575.jpg
Size:	672.1 KB
ID:	275209Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4578.jpg
Size:	720.0 KB
ID:	275210Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4579.jpg
Size:	507.2 KB
ID:	275211
                          Last edited by 904Bronco; 01-05-2018, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Well you gotta start somewhere, right!? Those floor pans don't actually look that bad. They shouldn't be too bad to replace. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                              Well you gotta start somewhere, right!? Those floor pans don't actually look that bad. They shouldn't be too bad to replace. Good luck!
                              This is the good side Patrick...

Comment

Working...
                              X