Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Project Silent Killer 71

Originally posted by Rockbronco67 View Post
    Why do you have to run them at 50%? I thought the selling point of the struts was flexibility of tuning. I would never run a crawler at 50% because I like alot of drop out.
    The way the valving works is that as you get towards compressed or extended it shuts down the valving and becomes stiffer. If you are running less shaft you will already be into the stiffer solving an it will be a harsher ride and the ability to resist push off goes away so it will unload the suspension.
    Here's a better explanation.
    http://www.purpletopgarage.com/strut-discussions/
    Marc D.
    If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
      The way the valving works is that as you get towards compressed or extended it shuts down the valving and becomes stiffer. If you are running less shaft you will already be into the stiffer solving an it will be a harsher ride and the ability to resist push off goes away so it will unload the suspension.
      Here's a better explanation.
      http://www.purpletopgarage.com/strut-discussions/
      I read that if you run less than 50% the ride will be stiff as mentioned. To compensate you can remove some of the oil. I wanted to see how it performs before any oil is removed.

Comment

He runs them at 50% because be likes to drive fast in the whoops. 4" of up travel is fine for slow crawling, but not so great at higher speeds cruising whoops and jumps. You'll see in a couple days.
        70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

I do like driving fast.
          Marc D.
          If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Luckily, 42" tires soak up a lot of those bumps...
            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

My eight year old nephew knows if he wants to go, he has to bolt up his seat. Don't worry my brother checks his work. Still have some cargo area, 22" of space in front of the frig and some behind the rear seat.

Last edited by Rockbronco67; 10-01-2014, 08:01 AM.

Comment

The fridge tiedown is integrated into the seat mount from the looks of it? That is pretty slick. I am going to have to get one of those covers for mine, the more pictures I see of them the more I want one.
                I picked up a few more of my favorite GM SUV cargo tiedown points recently, going to get creative with more gear tiedown options.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Lots of fun wheeling since I finished.The struts work well, still trying to find the perfect tune but really stable on the rocks. Did find that the stock cam likes to die under load. Was looking for more torque to help and replaced my stock cam with a comp cams 35-308-8. Ran into an issue doing the cam swap with a leaky exhaust valve which turned into a vlave job. All back together and ready for a run out to the Hammers at the end of this month. Can't wait to put the new cam to the test. Already it will pull through the brakes at an idle even with hydroboost and 4 wheel disc. Huge improvement.

There was a fair amount of trail traffic my last trip out which resulted in a lot of waiting. I found out that waiting without tunes sucks so onto the current project which is coming to an end. 10" sub and 5.25" 2 ways up front. All driven off amps, eq, and an ipod.
                  Attached Files

Comment

bringing up an old thread. What is the wheelbase of this?

Comment

Comment

How did the two fuel tanks work out? Any photos? Are you happy with the wheelbase? Would you go a little longer? You said you weren't going to drive on the street but have you? how does it drive at speed? Thank's for any input.

Comment

Working...
                        X