70 Sport resto/mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 70 Sport resto/mod

Built a nice little rolling cart for the hard top, and cleared out a spot for it under my side-yard shade structure. Those who may recall, this is where my Bronco lived for its first 6 or 8 months as I began taking it apart, and where I installed the new suspension, etc.

It's not ideal but I only have a two car garage and that space is claimed by the daily driver and the Bronco. When I finish this hard top the Bronco won't have to hide from the rain like it does now.

I built it a little taller than the last one was and used two locking, swivel casters and two fixed casters. This cart will eventually be used for summertime hard top storage and having it so maneuverable I won't have to move it too far when installing and removing the top.

Future plans (since it seems like I will be staying in this house) include adding onto my garage, turning it into a 3-car tandem possibly with a taller ceiling... the design will ideally include a hoist system. But one step at a time... gotta get this top done first!
    Attached Files
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

The fun begins. Pulled out all of the drip rail seam sealer to find only a little bit of rust. I have located a few dings needing a little love, but if I can stay interested I might need to get some primer soon. I'm kind of enjoying this project.
      Attached Files
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Forgot to add this one... this is the worst of the rust so far, but one of my previous pictures shows the "after".

I have been spot treating the (minor) rusty areas that I've encountered with what's basically phosphoric acid - converts iron oxide to iron phosphate, you know its working when the rust turns black. It's supposed to neutralize the rust and turn it into a more paint-friendly surface. So far so good.

Now it's time to start researching seam sealer. I want to seal this thing up good so that I don't have to worry about it again. The top is nice and I want to make it nicer - and have it last a long time.
        Attached Files
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Because I have the attention span of a gnat (when it comes to bronco projects) I decided to revisit an old idea which I started a thread about last year. I bought a roll of bulk "BEDRUG" material from Amazon. 66x98 inches in a roll - enough for a long bed full size truck. Little over $100 shipped to my door in 2 days.

I started this project like many others - taking about 3000 measurements before cutting. I ended up cutting the wheel wells from the wrong sides... so I changed plans and started with just covering the area betwen the wheel wells.

BedRug is really cool material - it is a mildew resistant carpet-like material bonded to 1/2" thick closed cell foam. It is designed for an exposed truckbed so it should work just fine in a somewhat closed bronco tub. I wanted a softer area for my dog to ride in, as well as give the rear floor some more friction when I am hauling stuff around back there. The spray-in bedliner is cool but it offers zero insulation and is kind of a slick surface. I rarely resort to actually hosing out my tub for cleaning anyway...

So long story short here are some pictures. I have kept the bed rug removable should I ever want/need to remove it, but it is bolted in through the holes for the back seat that I no longer have... and I used a few of the supplied plastic retainer clips around the front and back edges. I am very happy with the results so far and so is my dog.

I have enough scrap left to make some floor mats for the front - I think I am going to get some heat shielding for the firewall and perhaps the floor pans, and then cover that with bedrug material. This for me is a better option than an actual carpet kit while still giving the rig some extra comfort.
          Attached Files
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Thinking about covering the inside of the tailgate with it too - I am getting spoiled being able to crawl around in the back of the rig without beating up my knees. Maybe I am just getting old.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

nice job.....I like it.
              Jack
              73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

Good idea Tony. I hear you on the knees. If I ever bring my bronco back home and get it back on the road, I'll do the same.
                67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Tony, how about a link to the place you bought it from... Please.

Nice work by the way...
                  2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                  1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                  2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Bedrug-BMX00D-...eywords=bedrug
                    Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                      Tony, how about a link to the place you bought it from... Please.

Nice work by the way...
                      I guess my sneaky link to the product page on Amazon (by turning the word "amazon" into a hotlink to it in my earlier post) wasn't as clever as I thought it was... but thanks for the compliment, Doug. I like it so far, though I found other uses for my time on Sunday so I didn't yet continue with any other ideas... I have tons of scrap to play with now.

To do it again, I think I would probably run one single piece all the way from the tailgate to the transmission tunnel area... cutting the carpet to shape before it drops down to the lower level of the front floor... if that makes sense.

Originally posted by California Monkey View Post
                      Thanks Rich for making that link easier to find.
                      Last edited by CityHick; 05-04-2015, 11:15 AM.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

no problem. I work at Amazon so I thank you for the constant advertising.

I recently bought the wild horses carpet kit, red jacket insulation kit and some raptor liner. I plan to raptor line to avoid rusting (biggest complaint people have when running carpet), Then red jacket for sound and heat insulation and then the carpet with hold downs for sleek comfort. I then have a universal rubber cargo liner I'll put in the back so I don't screw up the carpet when I'm "using" the bronco.

In my 1991 bronco, I melted a purse to the floor because I had stripped out the interior. I don't plan to have that happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                          I guess my sneaky link to the product page on Amazon (by turning the word "amazon" into a hotlink to it in my earlier post) wasn't as clever as I thought it was...
                          No Tony it was me, Dense I guess...

Thanks CA Monkey... Hope you were able to find a replacement purse to match your outfit...
                          Last edited by 904Bronco; 05-04-2015, 04:39 PM.
                          2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                          1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                          2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Using up some more scrap bedrug material. Front floor mats. Came out alright. Undecided if they will stay or go but I kinda like them.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by CityHick; 05-12-2015, 02:11 PM.
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

They look great in the pics

Comment

Thanks Rich. I am thinking about getting some super heavy duty velcro for a few spots, to hold them in place. That way they can be removed both temporarily and permanently if need be, without damage to the floor pans.

If I could form the backing to the floor pan I would cover the whole front the way I did in the back. Might experiment with some cardboard for templates and see how easily that would be accomplished with minimal seaming.
                                1970 Bronco
                                My build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X