70 Sport resto/mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 70 Sport resto/mod

Looks good Tony. I think we are in a race to see who can spend the most money. Unfortunately I think I'm winning.

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Steed View Post
      Looks good Tony. I think we are in a race to see who can spend the most money. Unfortunately I think I'm winning.
      Maybe spending it in one shot, but not over all...
      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Steed View Post
        Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
        Maybe spending it in one shot, but not over all...
        I have less in mine than many. And spread out over 8 years with the majority spent between 2006-2008. Whatever the amount it's probably too much, but it's been fun.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
          I have less in mine than many. And spread out over 8 years with the majority spent between 2006-2008. Whatever the amount it's probably too much, but it's been fun.
          What did Kevin say in another thread, "better than spending it on cheap booze and loose women". Or something to that effect.
          2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
          1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
          2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

That's right!!
            Close enogh anyway.

Comment

After many setbacks and a lot of money tossed at this problem, I have a brand new Currie 9" housing, featuring brand new Currie 31-spline shafts, brand new 11" drum brakes, new brake line plumbing, welded-on skid plate, beefy new pinion guard, as well as newly modified and reinforced spring hangers which mount the springs about 1/8" lower than stock.
              Proof its been out of the garage:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...00402152192551

And a few pictures...
              Attached Files
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

I should add that the new rear brakes made a noticeable difference in stopping power. My old brakes were practically new but incompatible with the new housing. These new ones (came in a box from Currie with all new hardware and the backing plates) are incredible. My bronco has never stopped so well. I think my hydroboost plans are off the table, completely.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Looks great Tony! Congrats on the improvement!
                  1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

Man, that's some purty hardware you got there.
                    Any pics of the finished spring mounts too? Could almost see it in one of them, but not quite.

Glad the brakes work so well too. Good to hear. Are they normal Ford size, or something different? Maybe like a '76 or '77 setup with the 11 x 2.25 (or whatever size that is) or even bigger?

Good news, no matter what.

Paul
                    Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                    www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                    68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Finally got motivated to install the wrap trap. For those who don't recall...

I bought the Wrap Trap from Wild Horses back at Thanksgiving time. It's been sitting in the box ever since... I have reservations about installing parts like this because in reality it's a part that should not have to exist - it compensates for leaf springs that are not up to the job. I realize that its a "cost of doing business" when articulation is the goal in these old rigs... but as I have said before these springs are designed with way too much emphasis on flex and not enough on axle control. The leaf springs on my pickup travel just fine, support far more weight, and do not let the axle wrap like this.

But I digress - I finally admitted defeat on fixing this any other way, and now its installed. Pictures below... it is a nice part. I just hope it was worth the effort. I had to remove my exhaust, and remove my onboard air tank. I have no idea what I am going to do for an air tank now but it looks like I will have to use a much smaller tank or simply run without a tank.

Exhaust is going to be a challenge. I am going to buy a 2-into-1 Borla muffler (love the Borla on my truck), and then go find the time to take the rig back to the muffler shop and design a new routing, hopefully next weekend.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by CityHick; 01-31-2015, 03:07 PM.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

Exhaust is back in place - I braved the rain and the law driving my topless and muffler-less Bronco across town this morning. Cruising down a road with concrete fences on both sides just about made me go deaf. Walked home and beat the rain, then had a lunch date and caught a ride back from there to pick it up.

I am running a 2-into-1 Borla Pro-XS and man I love the sound already. Nice and mellow but it still lets you know its there. And the flowmaster "drone" sound is gone. Still a little on the loud side but very manageable. Tailipipe routing is almost the same with a couple of improvements.

My onboard air tank no longer fits and I can't find a place to put it that is protected and somewhat hidden from view. I will likely have to find a smaller tank (My existing ViAir 2.5 gallon tank is about 24" long; the wrap trap has taken its place).

I am taking suggestions for smaller or differently shaped tanks - plenty of room for something smaller.

Inching back towards being trail ready
                        Attached Files
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

looks good . did you make a new video of the axle
                          75 302 c4 marlin crawler 20 44&9" 4.56 arb's 35"mtrs

Comment

Originally posted by GREMLIN View Post
                            looks good . did you make a new video of the axle
                            Not yet but I will soon! GoPro is charging
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

Looks great Tony! He did a clean job for you.

I've seen a few Broncs with an air tank strapped to the cage. Although those are usually like scuba and eventually need recharging, it would be nice to route a line to keep it charged from the York. Just a thought. Pro's is you have an air tank. Cons are I could see it as being dangerous if it gets punctured at high pressure. But I guess that could be said when its strapped to the underside too. And it does take up some room.
                              1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

Thanks Brad. Livermore Muffler does decent work and I am happy with this setup now. I know there are members here who have other opinions of the shop but they have been good to me over the years. Their prices are lower now too.

I would prefer to keep the tank underneath but I've been playing around with various inside options for my tank too. I now run an ARB "twin" electric compressor, my engine-driven Sanden failed and I decided to try something else. I may actually just run tankless and see what that does for me for a while. Its nice to have a buffer so that the compressor doesn't have to run every time I engage the lockers though.
                                1970 Bronco
                                My build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X