No announcement yet.

70 Sport resto/mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call RRRRAAAAAYYYY fron the CB board. I talked to him, told him what I was running and what I would like to run in the future. He built me a "custom" 3G for ~ $170-180. I think his web site is www.svapowerproducts.com.
    Does that fit in the exploder brackets (or is it a hopped up exploder alternator)? I was thinking about doing the same thing.
    Last edited by 720Racer; 01-17-2008, 06:53 PM.
    Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
    I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by highlander View Post
      I bought this polished 100 amp one wire alternator a while back and ended up not using it (new in box)because we went with a premier power welder instead (requires it's own alternator). It will bolt into a small 1G, 2G, or 3G bracket. I payed $129, make me a fair offer and it is yours.
      Tempting... I may have a line on a stock 3G lightly used but I'll keep you in mind. I've seen that RRRRAAAAAYYYY guy before too on CB, so it looks like I've got lots of options.

Originally posted by 720Racer View Post
      Does that fit in the exploder brackets (or is it a hopped up exploder alternator)? I was thinking about doing the same thing.
      I've been reading up on the various serpentine brakets available. Mine is a Mustang 5.0 alt/tensioner but it fits because the heads are common between the 302 and 351, I'll just need a longer belt. Most of the modern alternators will fit the bracket I have, some may require a little grinding on the bracket but I can handle that. I am roughly emulating 70EB's setup (he runs the same crate motor as me and made the 5.0 stuff work, and I think it looks pretty nice). Pictures will come this weekend. I have a dual serpentine crank pulley and a water pump pulley that spins the pump the standard direction - it'll require a second belt to run the PS pump if I use the second groove. I may get a reverse water pump and run everything on one belt though, we'll see.
      Last edited by CityHick; 01-17-2008, 07:09 PM.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

• Originally posted by 720Racer View Post
        Ray, can get or build you a alternator to fit just about any bracket. He is a great guy to deal with and he likes to take care of fellow bronco owners. I have bought a few alternators and a starter from him for several of my vehicles. I will be calling him shortly to get a high amp alternator for my snow plow truck.
        69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

• if u guys already have it, the exploder alt is 130 amp which is pretty good for most applications.
          “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

• That's what I have, but I didn't know it was 130 amps, that is pretty good. I thought if I ever added a preimer power welder, I'd have RRRRAAAAAYYYY modify my exploder alt to do the same thing the preimer alt does since the exploder bracketry is so damn perticular.
            Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
            I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

• I run 2 spot lights, high beams, radio, heater and have no dimming of the lights. I can pull the winch with no issues as well. I have had my exploder shiat for about 7 years give or take and no issues ever. I am not sure what the amp needs would be with a power welder. I would think 160 amps.
              “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

• My old man, ever the deal finder, scored a 3G alternator for me today for $18. Can't complain about that. It'll be here next week.
                Otherwise I've just been sorting through the wiring harness trying to find a logical way to lay the thing out to make future troubleshooting and modification as easy as it can be. I'm running weatherpack connectors everywhere and have some high-temp loom on the way. Hoping to sort out the whole wiring mess soon and start thinking about exhaust. I've also got a Vintage Air heater coming - it's got the smallest dimensions I could find among aftermarket heaters.

I figure if I keep chipping away at this thing, once I get paint on the remaining pieces I'll have a running rig this year. I can't wait to drive it.

I'll try and get some pix up soon.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

• Chipping away is the way to work on these rigs. No matter how small the task, it eventually gets done. Curious to see how that heater works out. I don't have doors, top or a windshield but figure it would keep my feet toasty.
                  67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                  69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                  69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                  79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                  67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

• Originally posted by 69crawler View Post
                    Chipping away is the way to work on these rigs. No matter how small the task, it eventually gets done. Curious to see how that heater works out. I don't have doors, top or a windshield but figure it would keep my feet toasty.
                    A friend of mine has one in his FJ40 project. Granted its in about the same shape as my Bronco currently, from the garage testing he's done it cranks out some good heat. I think I might be able to mount it on the firewall, centered above the tranny tunnel. We'll see.
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

• No big progress to report, but I can say that running wires is getting old. I am closing in on it, but as usual I've got a ways to go. I was a little under the weather for the past couple of days. There's still nothing that's very picture-worthy to share here, but I'll snap a few pix this week as quite a bit has changed since my last picture post.

Apparently I ordered the wrong heater because when it arrived last week it didn't have connections for the defroster. I got that straightened out and the correct one should arrive in the next day or two. I ordered a Saginaw steering pump and I may make a trip to WH to get the "Lars bracket" sometime this week. I also ordered a different oil pan to allow for better trac bar clearance.

Once I get the oil pan swapped (currently there's no dip stick so I have no way of knowing how much oil is in the engine - and that is a whole other story unto itself), and the PS pump hooked up, I should be able to fire the engine with open manifolds.

I still need a steering column, steering linkages and a longer trac bar, along with miscellaneous belts and hoses but it's getting there.

PS - does anybody know anyone who can weld aluminum? I need to make a slight change to my aluminum radiator...
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

• Follow-up on my bulkhead connector discussion... and a little progress.

I figured my build thread was the best place to follow up on my bulkhead connector thread from several weeks ago. I recently received my Centech 22 pin weatherpack bulkhead, and so far, so good. It needs about a 2" circle cut through the firewall but it has its own gaskets to keep things sealed up.

I have told a few of you about my wiring harness from EZ Wire. In my opinion, the fuse block that ships with my harness is nicer than the Centech fuse block, and its nice and compact so you can mount it almost anywhere. Anyway, the point of all this is that the firewall connector from Centech seems to use the same color scheme used by EZ Wire, so hooking the thing up has been a breeze thus far. I'm about 6 wires into it and I can't see this taking much more than a couple of evenings to complete.

I still don't really have any exciting pictures to post but maybe this weekend I'll have some more. I received my Vintage Air heater and I'm very impressed with its quality. It fits up on the firewall just above the tranny tunnel, like it was made to fit right there. It came with a vacuum actuated heater control valve (no more cable linkage ), and the best part is that my NP435 shifter does not hit it like it hit the stock heater box. Hooking up the defroster is going to be a no-brainer as well.

Last night I swapped my oil pan (would have been easier while the engine was out on the stand, but such is life). I also picked up a Saginaw steering box and a Lars bracket, and I'm looking at swapping my water pump for a reverse rotation pump to match my serp setup soon. I need to find a shop that can make a slight alteration to my Summit aluminum radiator, but otherwise things are coming together.

I'm thinking the cam break-in party could happen in 3-4 weeks time, assuming I don't get side-tracked on too many weekends between now and then. I just became an uncle again so I know I should probably go meet my new niece soon... I guess that's an acceptable reason to neglect the Bronco for a day.
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1776 View Post

I have told a few of you about my wiring harness from EZ Wire.

I'm thinking the cam break-in party could happen in 3-4 weeks time, assuming I don't get side-tracked on too many weekends between now and then. I just became an uncle again so I know I should probably go meet my new niece soon... I guess that's an acceptable reason to neglect the Bronco for a day.
                          WHich harness is the EZ wire? Is that the one from Ebay for under 2 hundy?

Also, lew me know when the cam party is and I'll be there.

Comment

• Yep EZ-Wire (I guess its officially "EZ-Wiring") is the harness on ebay for $150 or so. This is their web site: http://www.ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html. I bought the 20 circuit mini-fuse kit. Aside from needing a little help making sense of the ignition module, its been a no brainer. My old man helped me with that part.

I'm sure with Painless and Centech you get more, but for the price its a decent kit.

Now that I said 3-4 weeks 'till the cam break-in party, I'm sure it'll be longer, but I'll certainly let folks know when that will happen. If nothing else it'll be an excuse to toss back a few beers. I have untold amounts of stuff to figure out and hook up between then and now but I keep chipping away at it. I can't wait until we get a few warm weekends in a row... so I can paint the rest of the pieces.
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

• Cant beat it for under 200. I am sure the labor is more intensive, but with a little brain work, this may be the ticket. This doesn't come with all of the switches and stuff like the cen and painless does it...

Comment

• Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
                                Cant beat it for under 200. I am sure the labor is more intensive, but with a little brain work, this may be the ticket. This doesn't come with all of the switches and stuff like the cen and painless does it...
                                Nope, no new switches. I figured everything worked before I pulled it apart, and I plan to change stuff around anyway so the extra cost for new switches could be saved for a little customization.
                                1970 Bronco
                                My build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X