No announcement yet.

central Nevada 2003 trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lars those are great pics. What time of year is this and just confirm this is the map you posted up in the trips forum??
    FM <><
    72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
    1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Originally posted by Familyman
      Lars those are great pics. What time of year is this and just confirm this is the map you posted up in the trips forum??
      FM <><
      Yessir, that was the trip. October was the month. A good time. Much later and it gets c-c-c-cold. As I discovered in '05.
      1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
      I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Cool, Thanks for the maps Lars. Do you know if this is where they do a Mustangs and wildflowers run ( Winecountryrockcrawler puts it on each year) I really want to take my daughter since she loves horses and the scenery looks great.
        Thanks, Chuck
        I don't. There are plenty of Mustangs to be found in some of those areas, though I'm no expert on where to look. Also plenty of wildflowers. I expect to be screeching to a halt regularly in two weeks with the wife, who is quite the amateur photographer and happens to be wildflower crazy. No shortage of scenery all over that region. Funny, growing up I thought of Nevada in terms of what I saw enroute to places beyond as we traveled on I-15 through Vegas and into Utah. Then many years later I was traversing the state from south to north in early June, and passed one snow covered range after another enroute to Idaho on a ski trip. Needless to say my curiosity was piqued. In 2001 (right after 9/11) I rented a Cessna 172 with a friend and flew to Moab to go mountain biking. It took us an extra hour to get across Nevada because as we crossed all those little (but high) ranges, we kept seeing canyons filled with aspens in fall colors. We plotted the locations on my aeronautical charts, which is what led to the trip I posted pics of.

Comment

That is really cool Lars. I wonder if we could plan a NCB event for 4 days accross some of that terrain. If not I need to get the gps cood. from you and I may plan my own trip. Is that map accually specific, I mean the roads are well marked. Just don't want to drag the whole family out somewhere to get lost.

Thanks FM <><
          Last edited by Familyman; 05-15-2007, 06:22 AM.
          72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
          1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

That is really cool Lars. I wonder if we could plan a NCB event for 4 days accross some of that terrain. If not I need to get the gps cood. from you and I may plan my own trip. Is that map accually specific, I mean the roads are well marked. Just don't want to drag the whole family out somewhere to get lost.

Thanks FM <><
            The Google map is pretty accurate. Sad to say, I don't own a GPS, in fact I've never used one. Pretty pathetic considering I'm a pilot, but I've always relied on maps (charts). Someday...

Roads are fairly well marked, but you'll definitely want the De Lorme book open. Occasionally it gets confusing. Most of the north-south routes through the valleys, even those marked as state highways, are graded dirt. Nearly all the east-west routes are dirt, and there are a lot of other roads criss-crossing the valley floors. It's hard to get lost though. With the topo map in hand you can generally figure out roughly where you are just by looking around (I think we need to head thataway).

Comment

x2 on being dragged around the country and sleeping in a tent as a kid. A ford station wagon with wood trim and a 460. I remember doing 90+ in that thing for hours at a time across Nevada. We never stayed a night in Nevada. Then in the early 90s I drove hwy 50 to Moab. Took my time and really enjoyed it.

Chuck if you find out anymore about the mustang run I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Comment

Thanks FM <><
                Providing I ever finish my Bronco, I'd love an event in the Nevada desert for a few days. It will probably need to be a spring/early summer, so the heat (cold) isn't too brutal.
                Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

late March through May or late September through mid November are good. Fall colors in the canyons are great.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X