Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The ***OFFICIAL***7th Annual "Broncos on the Con" June (26),27,28,29 2014

This may have been the best trip I've taken in nearly 8 years of Bronco ownership. EFI relieved my mind of the stress of keeping the engine running while navigating the trail. I am so glad that I went and my only regret is that I did not stay to see what sounds like a huge crowd. We left out to Tahoe on Friday morning and spent the better part of the day simply getting out to Observation Point. Big Sluice was challenging though not as hard as I remember it from 2010. Areas while crossing through the Rubicon Springs area induced some major pucker. Cadillac Hill, while basically uneventful kept me on my toes. Buck to Observation Point is absolutely harder than Loon to Buck.

Pictures to come when I get them from a friend of mine. Unfortunately no GoPro video... was in a hurry wheeling in Wednesday, battery was dead Friday.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by pipelayer View Post
      I just got home everything went good with the trailer just a little slower but fun. The only ding was a asshat from pirates bent a fender because that's what they do. I also lent out a spare alternator to some guys that said they had a bronco back at soupbowl and I never heard from them agen, if somebody knows them and I assume somebody did because they went to talk to you guys and ask if you new if he had serpateen or V belt, give him my number I would just like it back for time like that. Brian 916-521-4733 We have some pics but power is out at my house so I will post up later.
      Brian, I ended up with you alternator, and thank you. It wasnt me that was broke but I went back to soup to help get them going. I will return it to you somehow this week. Here is my number if you are close to Bradshaw rd in Sac or Cameron Park During the week,or I can chase you down Wednesday or Thursday. Thank you, Triston 530-344-3634
      Last edited by TWISTER; 06-30-2014, 04:36 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Cool thanks I figured somebody had

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks to all the Bronco owners out there for another great trip! You guys are a great group to hang with and I look forward to makin another Rubicon trip. This was my 3rd and I don't think I'd feel right going to the 'Con without you guys along.
          '01 TJ, 4.0/5spd
          5.5" Rock Krawler X-Factor Long Arm,
          35" BFG M/T's
          4:88's, ARB's

BOHICA!

Comment

the wife and i left our house thursday at 8 pm and arrived at loon lake around 2. we set up our camp in the dark and awoke to a cool view of the lake and surrounding mountians. i noticed this view as we were packing up little more time enjoying the view would have been nice but we were excited to get to the start of the trail. As we were leaving campground pipelayer, brian and rockslut,mike cruised by we rushed to catch up with them to see if we can run in with them. stopped on the loon lake dam to get one last picture of my undamaged bronco. i didnt know if this was really going to be the last picture so i took a couple.
            Brian and Mike were already airing down when we got to the trailhead. i explained to them that i had no idea what i was doing and if i could run in with them. they had mentioned that they had seen the post here that i was a newb and that they would get me going. They both had passengers reuben and ryan at this point the 6 of us started in.
            I really had no idea what was coming up reading and watching some youtube videos gave me a general idea but until you see it for yourself it doesnt sink in. The first part of the trail to the ellis creek bridge was an awakening that this was a serious trail. Mike gave me good lines and alot of advice to get me going. the trip from ellis to little sluice was little more exciting. I also started to realise i should have left the top at the house and packing even more stuff on roof rack might not have been best idea. the truck was REALLY top heavy. Off camber is scary no matter what but i was 3 wheeling lots of obstacles. Mid way from ellis 69crawler and rocbronco had caught up to us which later i will be really thankful for. i think it was walker hill that i got in a off camber fall into a rock situation not knowing what to do i just sat there for a minute until 69crawler hopped out of his truck walked up looked at the situation and told me to turn passenger and drive forward. turning wheel was a lesson i really needed and used alot the rest of the weekend when i wasn't panicked. As we were driving up trail after he had given me a hand i felt thankful i did the trail on the bronco run.
            it was a long trip to buck taking most of the day to get there. im glad pipelayer had brought his trailer since i didnt feel i was holding them up. Even though it would have been nicer if he had pulled it in upside down giving me more time.
            Hanging out at buck island was a good time. The time here getting to know these guys really made the trip worthwhile. before we had left i was wanting to do the trip all the way thru knowing that the guys were heading out loon on sunday meant i might need to find another group heading out the last part of the trail.
            saturday morning i was walking around asking if anyone was heading out thru cadillac hill. the wife had mentioned that a couple we meet at little sluice the day before came in that way and i had went and found craig, sharon and skip told them i was a newb and if i could ride out with them. i got a your welcome to tag along.
            we parted ways with mike and brian with a thought that this wont be the only trip we do together.
            we left buck just before noon and the first obstacle proved to be a indication of the rest of the trail. lifting tires and struggling for traction. i ended up getting alot of spotting and just general encouragement from craig sharon and skip. i totally lost count of the times that craig got out and gave me some help over a obstacle. old big sluice, cadillac hill and even some areas in rubicon springs were all the previous days hard parts harder and in a more condensed format.
            we really enjoyed the second day traveling the trail. cadillac hill was a long uphill struggle. the top heavyness and diffuculty made it a long hard climb. about half way up the hill i was really doubting weather i made the right choice of wanting to finish the complete trail and making this climb but my new friends really made it alot easier. Craig and skip spent as much time on my rig as they did there own. Making it to the top of observation point was a huge sense of accomplishment. We all shared a drink at the top (thanks for the pale ale skip) and did a few we made it pictures.
            On the way out to pavement it was really a time to think about the weekend meeting new friends craig,sharon,skip,brian,mike,rueben,ryan. These people really made a adventure a great adventure and i am happy to have met them all. i also really apprecitate all the people that we met and got to know along the way.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by strokers; 06-30-2014, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Right on man. Sounds like a great time!
              WT 4x4
              91' One Ton Bronco
              1971 Bronco
              9/11/01 Never Forget

Comment

ARE THOSE FIRST FEW PICS THAT HARD RIGHT TURN AT THE START OF CADILLAC? (sorry for the caps)

Comment

Originally posted by strokers View Post
                  the wife and i left our house thursday at 8 pm and arrived at loon lake around 2. we set up our camp in the dark and awoke to a cool view of the lake and surrounding mountians. i noticed this view as we were packing up little more time enjoying the view would have been nice but we were excited to get to the start of the trail. As we were leaving campground pipelayer, brian and rockslut,mike cruised by we rushed to catch up with them to see if we can run in with them. stopped on the loon lake dam to get one last picture of my undamaged bronco. i didnt know if this was really going to be the last picture so i took a couple.
                  Brian and Mike were already airing down when we got to the trailhead. i explained to them that i had no idea what i was doing and if i could run in with them. they had mentioned that they had seen the post here that i was a newb and that they would get me going. They both had passengers reuben and ryan at this point the 6 of us started in.
                  I really had no idea what was coming up reading and watching some youtube videos gave me a general idea but until you see it for yourself it doesnt sink in. The first part of the trail to the ellis creek bridge was an awakening that this was a serious trail. Mike gave me good lines and alot of advice to get me going. the trip from ellis to little sluice was little more exciting. I also started to realise i should have left the top at the house and packing even more stuff on roof rack might not have been best idea. the truck was REALLY top heavy. Off camber is scary no matter what but i was 3 wheeling lots of obstacles. Mid way from ellis 69crawler and rocbronco had caught up to us which later i will be really thankful for. i think it was walker hill that i got in a off camber fall into a rock situation not knowing what to do i just sat there for a minute until 69crawler hopped out of his truck walked up looked at the situation and told me to turn passenger and drive forward. turning wheel was a lesson i really needed and used alot the rest of the weekend when i wasn't panicked. As we were driving up trail after he had given me a hand i felt thankful i did the trail on the bronco run.
                  it was a long trip to buck taking most of the day to get there. im glad pipelayer had brought his trailer since i didnt feel i was holding them up. Even though it would have been nicer if he had pulled it in upside down giving me more time.
                  Hanging out at buck island was a good time. The time here getting to know these guys really made the trip worthwhile. before we had left i was wanting to do the trip all the way thru knowing that the guys were heading out loon on sunday meant i might need to find another group heading out the last part of the trail.
                  saturday morning i was walking around asking if anyone was heading out thru cadillac hill. the wife had mentioned that a couple we meet at little sluice the day before came in that way and i had went and found craig, sharon and skip told them i was a newb and if i could ride out with them. i got a your welcome to tag along.
                  we parted ways with mike and brian with a thought that this wont be the only trip we do together.
                  we left buck just before noon and the first obstacle proved to be a indication of the rest of the trail. lifting tires and struggling for traction. i ended up getting alot of spotting and just general encouragement from craig sharon and skip. i totally lost count of the times that craig got out and gave me some help over a obstacle. old big sluice, cadillac hill and even some areas in rubicon springs were all the previous days hard parts harder and in a more condensed format.
                  we really enjoyed the second day traveling the trail. cadillac hill was a long uphill struggle. the top heavyness and diffuculty made it a long hard climb. about half way up the hill i was really doubting weather i made the right choice of wanting to finish the complete trail and making this climb but my new friends really made it alot easier. Craig and skip spent as much time on my rig as they did there own. Making it to the top of observation point was a huge sense of accomplishment. We all shared a drink at the top (thanks for the pale ale skip) and did a few we made it pictures.
                  On the way out to pavement it was really a time to think about the weekend meeting new friends craig,sharon,skip,brian,mike,rueben,ryan. These people really made a adventure a great adventure and i am happy to have met them all. i also really apprecitate all the people that we met and got to know along the way.

Nice write up----------Sounds like you had a great time.
                  Jack

PS Nice looking Bronco
                  Last edited by Action; 06-30-2014, 03:55 PM.
                  73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

Somebody must have undone some of my paving on Cadillac Hill... after watching my buddy get a little tippy in that tight turn, I filled in a bit of the low side which made it a little more stable when I went through. Ended up using my rocker armor a little there anyway... and my rear bumper. Cadillac and Big Sluice were a bitch. Cadillac was extra fun as we kept encountering people coming down it as we were climbing.
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

seems steeper than I remember it, and narrower. Its been several years since I have gone out that side.

Comment

Originally posted by plug ugly View Post
                        ARE THOSE FIRST FEW PICS THAT HARD RIGHT TURN AT THE START OF CADILLAC? (sorry for the caps)
                        Yes they are. Got a lot of pics from the climb

Comment

Tim, nice that you hooked up with Craig and Skip. Those are the guys that I run with. It would be tough to find anybody more patient than those two.

Mark
                          Explorer 5.0 OBDII

Comment

Originally posted by pipelayer View Post
                            Tim "Stroker" I have your wife's tongs if she wants them back you guys will need to come up later in the summer and get them. Let me know
                            Yes will figure out another trip

Comment

Originally posted by garberz View Post
                              Tim, nice that you hooked up with Craig and Skip. Those are the guys that I run with. It would be tough to find anybody more patient than those two.

Mark
                              I would agree with that mark. they really were patient with me and your lucky to have them as buddies.

Comment

Sounds like another nice Rubicon trip I missed. Glad you all had fun.
                                Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                                After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Working...
                                X