Rear 9" replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rear 9" replacement

At the risk of breaking our deal...Torino ends are not the same bolt pattern as the early Big bearing, big bolt ends.

(Torino ends are the same pattern as explorer Disc brackets tho...)

Torino ends use 3/8 bolts, and have a 3.15 inner diameter bearing bore...same as 64-77 Ford Big Bearing, Big bolt.

Currie likes Torino ends, because they are compatible with their brakes. Strength is not an issue. I think that most Torino backplates are looking for 2.5 inch brake offset.

Big bearing, big bolt is usually 2 inch offset. 76-77 Bronco is oddball.

Hope that helps...

Comment

Well shoot, guess our deal is off. Now the decision making process begins again. While talking to a friend yesterday about his Explorer rear discs, he said he has no complaints about the parking brake, or stopping power. I have time so I'll just scour the web for deals and see what I can come up with. Still leaning towards drum just so I don't have to replace the master cylinder, etc.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
        Unless you plan on following guys on 42" tires... I wore a hole in my full with 9" housing...
        Originally posted by CityHick View Post
        My Duff skid plate is hammered. I am glad that its been there to take the abuse and I can't see running a 9" housing without something down there.
        I'd have to agree. I've never had one before, and have not suffered for it. But I've certainly seen my fair share of damaged housings to know it's not a bad thing to have protection. I hate leaving oil on the trail when it belongs inside the diff anyway.

Paul
        Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
        www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
        68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Originally posted by twisted 66 View Post
          ...I have their "extra heavy duty housing" pn #CE-2002 the tubes are 3 1/4"..
          Unfortunately, unless something has changed recently, that's the one that's no longer available. No more cores to make housings with 3.25" thick-wall tubes with.
          They still do the fish-mouth heavy-duty option on their smaller housings, but the larger heavy duty housing cores finally dried up earlier this year.
          Apparently the only ones manufactured new to this date are 3" versions.

You'd think there would be enough demand for someone to stamp out that style, but evidently not.
          Like I said though, that might have changed. But as far as the last info I had, that's the story.

Paul
          Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
          www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
          68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Decision made. I just called Currie and got the correct shafts and brake kit added to my order. It is expensive, but after having confused the hell out of myself with bearing offset, adapting this, changing that, etc... ordering their kit with everything needed except the third member will allow me to unbox, assemble and go on my way.

Yes I am sticking with drum brakes. Explorer disc would have only been a $70 upcharge but that will require that I swap out the master cylinder, deal with proportioning, etc. My drum setup works, these new drums will also work, probably better. I have never had any issue with stopping my rig with my current disc/drum setup. I should have ordered this kit from the get-go, earlier this week.

Bronco is down another week and a half or two now, waiting on parts. Such is life.

PS... my order to WH for the weld on skid plate and bolt on pinion guard was placed yesterday (yes I know they are closed with the move). They just called me, and said that it should ship soon. I was not expecting any response on that until Monday, so good on ya, WH!
            Last edited by CityHick; 10-10-2014, 10:50 AM.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Working...
            X