Rear 9" replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear 9" replacement

As most have probably seen, I recently had an axle bearing break. I have been running 31 spline axles in my stock small bearing housing since 2008. Given the history of several members here having the same failure happen (in some cases several times over) I am having a hard time with the idea of simply pressing on new bearings and running them (for very long).

Before this turns into a "go full width" session, I am set on staying with EB width for a variety of reasons.

Goal is to switch to a large bearing housing. I am looking pretty seriously at The Currie CE-FDB6677X housing assembly. Price is $1130. Includes new shafts which I will need anyway since my 31 spline shafts apparently have a different bearing spacing than BB housings do. Having just disassembled my axle, I already know that I won't really want to do this twice.

Having just spent the past hour searching this site for information, I am pretty convinced that I will stay with drum brakes. Jamesroney set forth a pretty convincing argument here in favor of drums, and I don't really want to alter anything else in this project anyway. For reference

Currie will add the 11" drum brakes for $349.95 - a little pricey but that includes everything I need, brand new.
    1) Does this seem like a reasonable deal (since everything will come all at once), or should I hit the junk yards and see if I can find the drums that I need?
    2) What vehicles other than 70s model F150s/FS Broncos may be a donor? I have not seen 70s donors in the yards in ages - very few and far between.

Next topic - armor. I have been running the James Duff skid plate under my rear diff since 2009. It has served me very well and protected my pinion. It does hang a little lower than I'd like, but it acts kind of like a third tire and I almost never get hung up because of it - it seems to help me glide off of stuff.
    Wild Horses sells a weld on piece but their description makes it sound like it's not ready to run - ie... you have to weld a little, beat on it, weld a little more, beat more, etc until it fits. Does anybody have experience with this first hand? Is it that bad? I am not a fan of parts that require brute force modification. Is there a better option? Not wanting to shave a brand new housing, but not finding many options.
    Pinion guard - I plan to add one of the bolt on guards if I make a switch.

Next topic - trusses. I tend to think for my purposes I won't need one, but it is easier to add one now than later. Money well spent, or unnecessary "bling"?

Sorry for the novel. Just collecting data. I want to get this thing back together once and for all.

I will have my small bearing housing, 31 spline shafts, brakes in good shape, and possibly some 28 spline shafts available for sale once all is said and done...
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Rear 9" replacement

Tony, I'd give RuffStuff a call. I bet they could get you outfitted in one of their housings with all the trimmings cheaper than curry.
    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

The Currie housing, axles and drums doesn't sound like a bad way to go if you would rather buy ready-made parts than search for and modify junk yard stuff. But just out of curiosity, have you thought of looking into a Ruff Stuff housing?

Currie housing, axles and brakes: $1479.90
      - still needs armor

Ruff Stuff 9" housing: $685.00
      -add armor plating $90($160 if RS welds it on)
      -Wild Horses 31 spline BB axles $249.99
      -11" Brake drums, shoes, hardware and wheel cylinders from O'Reilly Auto parts $168.71
      (still need to find backing plates)
      -Spring perches $34.00
      -Shock mounts $15.90
      -Big bearing cups $129.00

Ruff Stuff housing total: $1372.60

Granted you will also need to have somebody with an alignment bar weld the bearing cups on which will probably cost $100-$200

But If it were my decision, I know what I would do....
      Last edited by Efibroncoman; 10-05-2014, 06:16 PM.
      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Yeah that ruff stuff housing is cool. I really don't want to have to go running around all over the place to get the bearing cups welded, etc. Bayshore Truck would probably have done it but they're no longer in Livermore, and I am always at work when places are open. So the currie solution from a convenience factor is currently winning. Still looking.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Ruff Stuff is pretty close to me and I have days off during the week. I could help out and I'm sure through the board we could get the housing to you to save on freight charges. I think Ruff Stuff can weld the bearing cups on and if they can't WFO can.
          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I'll give ruff stuff a call soon, I'm in Sacramento fairly often so freight not a concern. Thanks Jacob. Interesting option anyway.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

You can drive your EB to RuffStuff and drive it out a couple days later with a complete new housing 4 linked in the rear of your rig. I'm sure they'll weld bearing cups, spring perches and shock mounts, etc on it so all you have to do is put your diff in and slam some axle shafts in it and bolt it in. They're pretty much a full service outfit.

Comment

I could sell you my take out big bearing rear end from my 1971 with new drum brakes for $500.

It's 28 spline, but its complete.

I upgraded to a Dana 60 last year.

Comment

James, all I would be using from your setup is the housing and brakes. I am still looking at buying new shafts since apparently my 31 spline shafts don't have the correct bearing spacing for that housing. Using my existing ARB center section.

So for that price, still having to buy other stuff I am leaning towards just going with all new parts.

I will let you know if I change my mind - I assume the carrier is a stock, open diff? Just trying to assess resale since I'd be basically parting the whole thing out.

-Tony
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

Hi Tony,
                    If tell me more about the shafts that you have.

I can sell you a nice set of billet ends, and a set of perfect used drum brakes for $200. Then you can just put them on your housing...add a truss, and you are done.

These are 11x2.25 from an 74 F150.

James.

Comment

Any7Offroad in San Leandro could weld everything up for you if you dropped off a Ruffstuff housing with ends, perches, and shock mounts. Bring your old housing and have them put everything in the same locations. I wouldn't worry about armor or a truss unless you're bombing in the desert. The Ruffstuff housing is 1/4" plate.

Comment

James, I have the 31 spline "conversion" axle shafts from Wild Horses. http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product...ring_10in_Drum

Originally posted by wildhorses website
                        In the long run you will be much better off swapping to a large bearing housing and brakes now. If you choose to go with these 31/35 spline small bearing axles you can swap out the bearings to the large tapered roller bearings later as long as you upgrade your housing and brakes.
                        Based on input from two people so far, the latter statement about replacing with large tapered roller bearings is not true. So that is why I am looking at new 31 spline shafts along with the new housing. It seems that the bearing spacing differs between the large and small bearing housings.

I suppose I could have new ends welded onto my housing, but as its the weakest housing design that came on an EB, I tend to think I'm better off upgrading to something heavier.

Hope this all makes sense.
                        Last edited by CityHick; 10-06-2014, 08:02 AM.
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

Unless you buy a fabricated housing, add a truss/backbone to it while it's out.
                          Mark Harris
                          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Spoke to WH about using my existing 31 spline shafts with set 20 bearings in a large bearing housing. Their answer wasn't super clear but it sounds like the bearing surface of the shaft itself is "close" to being correct for a set 20 bearing but not exact.

Set 20 bearings list an ID of 1.562". I'll be getting my digital calipers out when I get home, and will post my findings. I REALLY don't want to have to buy new shafts and need more exact data points than what I have gathered so far on the web and from vendors. I would love to buy James' roller axle, swap my guts into it and move on. Seems like a very good solution here.
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

That might be the quickest cheapest route Tony. James's housing, drop in your 3rd member and some BB 31 spline axle shafts and call it a day.

Comment

Working...
                              X