Onboard air... options/opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Onboard air... options/opinions

One more tidbit- I saw the pic on your FB page. I'd consider moving the intake source to a location with cooler air, such as the core support. Not a huge difference, but cooler is always better. I run a filter similar to McMaster-Carr #98305K76, attached to the core support next to the left headlight. A piece of 5/8" ID hose connects the filter to the compressor.
    1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
    I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

�� mine is a rear Detroit and front eaton e-Locker. Just want air for fillin up tires and occasional air tool use.

Comment

Pretty sure I'm going to get the ARB twin compressor:
        http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-On-Board...-P21341C9.aspx

It has an onboard pressure switch and onboard thermal overload protection to hopefully prevent or at least stave off heat-related failures.

Lars I do plan to route a cool air intake if I mount this compressor inside the engine bay. If I find a suitable alternate location that will be a moot point. JK and FJCruiser guys seem to be mounting them in the rear cargo areas - something I'd consider if I an find a clean and presentable way to do that. I have ideas on that topic, just unsure how to route air lines, etc. Again... ideas but unsure.

I was eyeing a little compressor at Costco as a possible backup air source as well. It's not one I'd rely on as a primary source but more of a worst case scenario solution to run lockers. Maybe...
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

I use these for fuel terminations or rigid to flex transitions, no reason that they can't be used for air.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-me...plings/=sr0gsc
          Cross-threaded is tighter than lock-tite

Comment

Took me a week or two to finally convince myself to pull the trigger, but I have an ARB CKMTA12 twin compressor on order. No Tax/No shipping and $70 in Amazon points softened the blow a little - still hurt though!

I have not decided on a mounting position but I do plan to run some hardline directly off of the compressor, then some hose back to the tank. I think that the on-board pressure switch and thermal overload protection will simplify my whole system.

I will update with pictures and such in my build thread sometime soon. Summer is going by way too fast, if I'm going to do any more wheeling, I'd better get my rig ready!
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Any updates? LOL......

FWIW I have since installed one of these on my 4rnnr: https://www.amazon.com/PD1006-Puma-V.../dp/B00W1TNO6U
              I fitted it under the truck by separating the compressor from the tank.

Compressor on the frame rail just fwd of the rear axle:

Tank above the OE location rear spare:

As Lars can attest to, it is not a quiet compressor. Driving down the street it can not be heard with the windows rolled up, and with the windows down it isn't bad at all. However, to a bystander it isn't quiet at all.

I bought one of these for the FSB: https://www.amazon.com/California-Ai.../dp/B083VNH2BF
              It so quiet that you can have a conversation while standing over it while it is sitting on the floor. Interesting thing about it is that it is an AC motor that runs on an included inverter.
              Cross-threaded is tighter than lock-tite

Comment

Hah... this old thread!
                Somewhere in my build thread I'm pretty sure there are photos of my finalized setup with the ARB twin compressor. It still works quite well and I continue to be happy with it's performance. I haven't done more than one trip a year for quite a while and this year hasn't helped with the rig being down for 6+ months... life happens and it is what it is.

The compressor isn't the most quiet thing in the world, but nothing about my Bronco is quiet so why start with the compressor? it's not super loud but you definitely hear it.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

I'll jump in. I had to abandon my Sanden compressor in order to install air conditioning (which still isn't operational but that info is in my build thread). I went with an ARB single compressor. I was surprised at both how well-made it is and how quiet it is. Mounted on top of the driver's side inner fenderwell so I could easily connect it into the existing plumbing. Obviously not as fast as the Sanden but adequate for my needs. Now to get a bigger receiver tank...
                  1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                  I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Working...
                  X