Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 4x4x2 question

:homer:

The frame is overlapped where the rear hole is. Heres the kicker.... you only drill half of the overlaped frame. Makes for centering a pain in the ass.

EDIT:
    That only works on pbb :homer:
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Flyinhie did the bolt head cutout in the frame thing. I am going to be doing this work in about a week or two myself.
      Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
        If the sector shaft is the same size, is the EB box really that much weaker than the 4x4x2? Seriously starting to question this!
        Tony, it was spotting this write-up many years ago that moved an eventual 4x4x2 swap onto my to-do list. Finally got around to it last summer. The way I drive it's probably unlikely that I would have failed the housing on my OEM '77 box, but I figured it was worth more intact that shattered. When all the dust settled, I sold the OEM box for a little more than it cost me to do the 4x4x2 upgrade, including a Flaming River collapsible column (not sure I'd do that again). With both boxes side by side, I would have to say that the housings (but not necessarily sector shaft splines) are much stronger.

I re-used my stock Bronco pitman arm. Fit fine.

I notched the cross member with my hot wrench and then filled the notch by welding in an arc cut from some steel tube I found at work. Made for plenty of room at the aft bolt.
        1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Here's how I did my xmember for that aft-most bolt Tony. I just made a few cuts in it with the die grinder, cut out what was not needed, massaged the rest in/ over with a hammer & weldered'er back up.
          Attached Files
          sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Alright guys I checked out DBLUE351's rig over the weekend since he has a 351 with my same bracketry and the 4x4x2 box. He runs the bolt on adapter plate... the one where you bolt the adapter to the frame using the stock holes, and then bolt the 4x4x2 box to threaded holes in the adapter plate.

On my frame I welded in my exact copy of the BCB frame reinforcement plate - it has holes for both EB and 4x4x2 boxes.

I can say without a doubt that my 4x4x2 box WILL NOT fit using my current frame reinforcements.

My options at this point are:
            1. buy the same adapter plate as Dave
            2. swap my accessory brackets for something other than the Econoline PS/AC bracket.

I have some thinking to do now.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Easiest, cheapest & quickest will be to get the WCB bolt on plate. On the other hand, if you WANTED to switch to the explorer serp that oughta do ya. Opens a small can of worms though = $$$ & down time. Switch to elec fuel pump, changing p/s lines, rebuilding explorer p/s pump or getting the extreme version (since you have 37s), blah, blah...

IMO, since you already have a serp setup that treats you fairly well, I'd just throw out the $75 or whatever it is for the 3/4" bolt on plate and run it.
              sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

If it ain't broke, dont fix it....
                {o===o}
                EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus232 View Post
                  Easiest, cheapest & quickest will be to get the WCB bolt on plate.
                  ... just throw out the $75 or whatever it is for the 3/4" bolt on plate and run it.
                  Thinking that's what I'll do... makes it easier since my frame is already reinforced around the stock holes = no re-drill, etc.

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
                  If it ain't broke, dont fix it....
                  I REALLY don't want to break my EB box in the middle of nowhere and want a little extra insurance. Of course now that I say this I'll have steering issues on my next trip...
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus232 View Post
                    IMO, since you already have a serp setup that treats you fairly well, I'd just throw out the $75 or whatever it is for the 3/4" bolt on plate and run it.
                    Thats what I would do too. Are you drilling and taping the box for a ram one way to take alot of stress off the box/frame.
                    After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

running WCB plate here, I think Ryan has a close template
                      68 Slightly modified
                      67 LUBR once again
                      61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Working...
                      X