4x4x2 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x4x2 question

I'm about to dive into my 4x4x2 steering project and I have a question I can't find the answer to... does anybody know if the pitman arm off of the 4x2 donor will fit on the 4x4 sector shaft?

I got my 4x4 box today (thanks again William), it has no pitman. The 4x2 box I pulled a couple of weeks ago does have a pitman arm with it. If this works I'm pretty close to being ready.

Looking at hoses and fittings next. Not looking forward to drilling the two new holes or welding reinforcement to the inside of the frame next to the engine but I'll get-r-dun somehow.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: 4x4x2 question

A ford pitman arm will fit.

So yes... it will work
    Last edited by 71BRONCO71; 04-12-2012, 05:08 PM.
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Doesn't the stock bronco arm fit?
      Marc D.
      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
        Doesn't the stock bronco arm fit?
        yup! Tony has a Saginaw box on his right now. Not 100% sure if its the same. All I know is if it has a FORD oval cast stamp on it, it will work on any ford box.
        {o===o}
        EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

do you still use the drop pitman arm to accomodate the lift?
          1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Comment

Alrighty then... guess I've got options. If the sector shaft is the same size, is the EB box really that much weaker than the 4x4x2? Seriously starting to question this!

SO this brings me to my next questions (and there will be more):

1. Does anybody run a 351w with the Econoline PS bracket AND a 4x4x2 PS box? It is starting to look like 10 pounds of manure in a 5 pound box in there, and it will be tight.

2. Using the BCB reinforcement plate how high off the frame does the top section sit off the frame? The EB box sits basically right against the frame.

3. Using the same reinforcement plate as a template, is notching the core support necessary?

Originally posted by jperry1290 View Post
            do you still use the drop pitman arm to accomodate the lift?
            Never used a drop pitman arm. I have tierod-over steering and my geometry is as good as it gets!

T.I.A.
            -Tony
            Last edited by CityHick; 04-12-2012, 07:04 PM.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Tony, check my build thread for the 69. I think I've got some good pics of the install. I think you'll be fine with the van bracket. My box sits pretty tight to the top of the frame with the BC plate & I did not notch the core support in that area. As you know, I run the explorer stuff & I have the ac pump mounted below the ps pump & I have plenty of clearance for the steering box.
              sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

On a second look it might not be as bad as I thought. Took some measurements, etc. Just rung up a nice little summit bill too, fittings, etc. Still not going to tackle this till after the 21st!
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

I think the 4x2 pitman arm will fit but depending on what it is from I think it will be to short to turn a dana 44 lock to lock. I snagged mine from a bronco II (I was thinking I would get it from the lightest vehicle I could because it would have less wear...). The pitman arm was at least an inch shorter than the 4x4 box one (I didn't have a stock pitman arm since the PO had put a toyota box in mine). Someone must have a 4x4 pitman arm sitting around.
                  Build thread

Comment

Come to think of it I've got 2! Let me know if you want the 4x4 arm Tony & I'll drop one in the mail for you.
                    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                      Alrighty then... guess I've got options. If the sector shaft is the same size, is the EB box really that much weaker than the 4x4x2? Seriously starting to question this!

T.I.A.
                      -Tony
                      The sector shaft should be bigger then a factory EB box, BUT because as it was said 90% of the fords used the same pitman arm splines that is the all the same (That's also where they snap).
                      The advantage is it's not a rare EB box. but it sounds like these boxes are getting hard to find as well.
                      Mark Harris
                      71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Tony I have pitman arms all over my garage. If you need one you are welcome to one. They are all for the 4x4x2 box. Thats what i run and i have a spare one too. You never know... ;-)
                        WT 4x4
                        91' One Ton Bronco
                        1971 Bronco
                        9/11/01 Never Forget

Comment

Thanks guys. If my EB box has the same pitman as the 4x2 box I have, then I have two and I think that's fine. Come on Summit... send me my parts!
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

I hope you enjoy drilling those holes as much as I did.

If I was to do it again, I would push the plate as far forward as possible. You'll see why on the 21'st at the meeting. I'll explain it better.
                            {o===o}

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
                              I hope you enjoy drilling those holes as much as I did.

If I was to do it again, I would push the plate as far forward as possible. You'll see why on the 21'st at the meeting. I'll explain it better.
                              Oh I'm well aware that drilling is going to suck. I drilled 6 holes per side for my cage radius arm brackets and about burned up my old drill.

As for the plate, its already welded in place on my frame. I copied Chuck's template on some steel stock I had laying around when a friend bought his BC plate, match drilled both sets of holes because I knew this day would come. Hopefully that is good enough but I know nothing is ever plug and play.
                              1970 Bronco
                              My build thread

Comment

Working...
                              X