Featureless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Featureless

I was going to tag onto the other current AR-15 thread but I figured I'd start my own to avoid clogging that thread up.

Has anybody out there built a "featureless" AR-15 so as to not be forced into registering it as an "assault weapon" (a political term that I hate using) ?

If so, do you have recommendations or lessons learned from building in that style - ie... not liking the non-pistol grip option, etc.

Pictures of your builds are appreciated. I am tempted to buy a lower receiver (finally) and would love to keep it off of the dreaded lists. I don't much care that its not traditional in appearance, nor do I care about how quickly I can swap magazines (the bullet button revisited device would not bother me). I am not after mass destruction, I am after a fun to shoot, different rifle.

I like the AR-15 platform because the options for customization are limitless.

Thoughts?
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Featureless

I would recommend getting a serialized lower soon. I'm going to go with the Bullet Button 2.0 option as long as it remains legal. If that option goes away I will go featureless. I would use a Thordsen Customs stock like this:

http://www.thordsencustoms.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Steed View Post
      I would recommend getting a serialized lower soon.
      That is the plan, though having been out of town a bit, followed by staying at work too late, its tough to get out to the gun store. It's on the list for this coming weekend. Wish me luck.

I'm going to go with the Bullet Button 2.0 option as long as it remains legal. If that option goes away I will go featureless. I would use a Thordsen Customs stock like this:
      http://www.thordsencustoms.com/
      Bullet Button 2.0 would not bother me a bit, though I am tempted to just go featureless from the get-go, build it once.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

A mini-14 is basically a featureless AR.......
        '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Originally posted by FFMDX View Post
          A mini-14 is basically a featureless AR.......
          Basically yes. Just does not have the aftermarket support - in the event that laws change or I move somewhere later where laws are more gun friendly.

J&R here in town has been selling a ton of lowers, I could not make it in this week on time when they received their last shipment, they told me to follow them on facebook and show up the day they post that they have received more.

All I really want is the lower, I'll build it sometime later.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Tony, you might try Tracy Rifle and Pistol.

Comment

Tony, you might try Tracy Rifle and Pistol.
              Thanks. I will give them a call; not sure if my weekend agenda will allow me to venture to that side of the hill.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

I built one in 7.62x39 using a thordson stock it's not to bad. Feels slightly different but still comfortable. Have a compensator rather a flash hider. Are their any negative rules applied to them, like needing a bullet button or mag lock in the case of a "evil" ar?
                70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

Originally posted by bent70 View Post
                  I built one in 7.62x39 using a thordson stock it's not to bad. Feels slightly different but still comfortable. Have a compensator rather a flash hider. Are their any negative rules applied to them, like needing a bullet button or mag lock in the case of a "evil" ar?
                  I was just in a shop and was asking about this, so here it goes: You can keep your AR and not register it as an AW if you swap out your flash suppressor for a muzzle brake; remove your forward vertical grip if you have one and go with a fixed stock like the Thordenson, eliminating your pistol grip. You can put a Kydex grip "converter" on you pistol grip if you like BUT you still have to have a fixed stock. With all of this, you can remove the scary/banned Bullet Button and replace it with a std mag release......Komifornia at it's best IMO!!.....

If you are in the market for a Bullet Button style rifle, make your purchase on or BEFORE 12/18 and not the 20th which will be too late due to the state not counting the two day holiday (24 & 25).

If anyone has any other info, or if you "heard something else" let me know....still scratching my head on this...
                  '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Ok so it stays the same for featureless. Honestly, having the mag release doesn't matter to me, I can still load and unload just as fast with a bullet button, it's just fun to flaunt it to my brother and buddy's when we are shooting.

Comment

I'm waiting my ten days... Got a Spike's tactical stripped lower sitting in the safe at J&R. Now the search for parts begins.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

Now you did it!
                        67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                        69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                        69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                        79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                        67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Indeed I have.
                          It's going to sit in my safe as I gather parts over the next who knows how many months.
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

Now you've got choices on what you want to build.....
                            .223/5.56; 300 Blackout; .50 Beowulf; 7.62x39...

Comment

One of each....I really want 457 socom, but don't plan on reloading

Comment

Working...
                              X